Options

Connection Error message - CLIENT WORK HELP!

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited February 20, 2016 in SmugMug Support
Trying to upload client work and running into difficulties.

I just uploaded 1999 images to a gallery for a client with no issues. Now, while trying to load another 1499 I keep getting a "Connection Error" red message on files as they try to upload. Duplicates show as yellow with no problem (of which I'm glad since I've tried a couple things now)

I've got giga-bit high speed up/download service and it's working fine for all my other on-line applications at the moment. ie: I have connectivity.

What could the issue be and where/what should I try next?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 9, 2016
    ....and now magically the upload seems to work. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2016
    ...and now the upload function is dead again.

Tried logging in and out of SM with no change in status. Tells me I have a "Connection Error" but I'm on-line with no problems, can move files around on SM and manage content. Just can't upload at the moment. Again.

What's going on? I need reliable hosting and I'm pretty sure it's not an issue on my end.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2016
    I'd post screenshots of the error messages but I use SM to host forum linked images so even that won't work. Not happy.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2016
    Small version as an attachment
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited February 10, 2016
    I'll pass this along to Engineering. I would recommend trying to upload from within the gallery instead of the Organizer if this keeps happening for you, while we look into this.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited February 10, 2016
    We often see this occur if your login session is expiring near to the time when the upload begins. Logging out/in should fix the issue, though it seems you've already tried that. Can you confirm your version of Safari for me?
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    We often see this occur if your login session is expiring near to the time when the upload begins. Logging out/in should fix the issue, though it seems you've already tried that. Can you confirm your version of Safari for me?

I tried logging in/out several times with no change in the result. So I closed all my applications and did a restart on my MBP and then it worked.

The only possible things I can think of are something got haywire somewhere and the restart fixed it, or there might possibly be a conflict with how images are uploaded for SM and the introduction of Dropbox. Earlier that morning I had installed that application the more I thought about it.

Safari: Version 8.0.7 (10600.7.12)
  • Options
    davimledavimle Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2016
    Scott, I have been getting various errors when trying to upload to SmugMug as well. Not sure what is different. Worked OK on 1/9, but then have had nothing but trouble between 1/26 and now. I have yet to upload a file without getting some error or another. One difference is that I am trying to upload video files, but the symptoms sound exactly as you describe! I am now 3+ weeks overdue on a school project that I volunteered for, so I am also really not happy at this point. :(

I am using a brand-new 27" iMac Retina 5K, running Mac OS X 10.11.3 and Safari 9.0.3. I even went through a bunch of trouble to replace my GbE switch this last weekend just so I could run a cable connection to the new iMac to eliminate WiFi as a source of the errors. (Was skeptical, but WiFi was acting "odd" at times, so I tried eliminating that variable.) My video files are just under 20 mins and ~2.9 GB each, so it is not a "quick" experiment to try different things, making this a really frustrating experience.

I was originally trying to upload using the built-in "Share" feature in Aperture. Have given up on that and resorted to just trying to upload while in the "Organize" view of the gallery in Safari. Here are the error types that I have gotten, in order of frequency: (Have now started collecting screen shots for these.)

1. Connection Error (Oddly, these *usually* result in a video file that seems fine.)
    2. (Some error resulting in an Incomplete File error in the Upload log) <-- Still need to capture this one
    3. Duplicate File

Also like you, I woke up one day to find that stuff was just "stuck" and not uploading and had quit due to an error. Then later in the day, videos magically started popping up in my gallery! So pretty sure what is wrong is on the SmugMug server side. The "Duplicate File" error is really mysterious, as when I look at my Upload Log, I don't see any record of the file. Same file is also not in my gallery. But then, after multiple hours of uploading, right at the end it decides the file is duplicate and then the video appears in my gallery, but still no record in the Upload Log. It's as if it got "stuck in the system" during one of the failed batch attempts and then uploading the same file again (weeks later) it pushes it out somehow. (Sigh...)

I haven't taken the time to figure out how to post screenshots in this forum (or whether I'm allowed to as a newly registered user), will look into it after some sleep if would be helpful to support.

Sorry for the long post. I am really not happy that this project is taking so much time and requires me to "babysit" uploads in the hopes that the next video file uploaded correctly. SmugMug used to work pretty well, not sure what has changed or if video files are just not its strong suit. Thought this would be a simple, secure & ad-free solution since I was already using for my still photography. I get asked by parents and staff why I don't just use YouTube, or why I can't just "email them out" (really like that one!). I'm also starting to question my $60 a year if a "free" solution is more reliable. :(

Still have to upload ~1000 stills at some point when this project is done. Curious to see if that goes any better, or if I will run into same problems.

Thanks,

- David
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2016
    Grrr... just checking after posting. My current ~3 GB upload just seems to have "spontaneously" restarted with no error message or Upload Log entry. Green progress bar is now back to about 1/8. Frustrating!

- David
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2016
    OK, last night that file that restarted on it's own finally did finish uploaded and ended with a "Connection Error" right at the end. However, like other cases of (1), the video seems to be OK.

Next file last night actually uploaded correctly and completed with no error. Another one this morning also uploaded with no error, but also restarted on its own and essentially took twice as long. (Was surprising, but good to know that files can upload with no error.) clap.gif

Then one from after work ended with (3) Duplicate File. No idea where the "other" file came from, wasn't in gallery, seems to be just "stuck" somewhere hidden in the system from weeks ago. headscratch.gif

Two more videos to go and then hopefully I can be done with this project. :whew

- David
  • Options
    rnrjoshrnrjosh Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2016
    Hi David,

Your issue may be more specific to the large videos you are uploading. We do have a bug logged around video uploads, typically related to larger videos (say 2GB and larger, or thereabouts). That is something we are investigating, and that bug could be related to the 'connection error' message you are seeing during the upload. I'd be interested to see if you see similar Connection error messages appear when uploading still photos, as the Connection Error message can indicate a few different things. It may also help to try converting/compressing your videos slightly to make them a bit smaller, file-size wise. That may also resolve the upload issue.
    Josh
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2016
    Josh, does the known bug also account for the "Duplicate File" errors? Those are the most mysterious to explain in my mind. Are the files being stored in some non-visible location on SmugMug's servers and getting "stuck"?

I have to upload some photo galleries soon, so will see if I get more errors or not. Thanks.