Options

Central & South America in Queens, NYC

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited May 11, 2010 in Street and Documentary
When I was asked what I wanted to do for Mother's Day, I did not hesitate-"I want to go to Roosevelt Avenue and eat from the street carts and take photos".

The three blocks I walked has a high Central and South American influence as well as a high concentration of gay, lesbian and transvestite/transgender community. It's only two neighborhoods away from me, but I feel as though I'm in another world.

FYI--if anyone has seen the movie "Maria Full of Grace" Roosevelt Avenue is prominently shown--it has everything from immigration lawyers, to unbeleivable food, barbershops, tattoo parlors, international calling centers, knock offs, transvestite shows and prostitution--you name it-if you want it, it's there.

861801573_PZKfw-XL-1.jpg

861810219_2ERnv-XL-1.jpg

861811153_zk7Rs-XL-1.jpg

861808539_BM55m-XL-1.jpg

861815400_K3Jiw-XL-1.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    Well besides making me hungry, I like the set :D

#3 stands out for me as well as the last, lots o hustle bustle in that one.
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2010
    bfjr wrote: »
    Well besides making me hungry, I like the set :D

#3 stands out for me as well as the last, lots o hustle bustle in that one.

Thanks Benjamin,

I like #3 also, even with the lady on the left with her eyes closed, it was a toss up between that one and the "urban vaquero" shot, the first one.

The last I included so you guys could get a feel for how crowded the place is--glad you liked them.

and yes I got the best tamales in the world from one of the street vendors.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    When I was asked what I wanted to do for Mother's Day, I did not hesitate-"I want to go to Roosevelt Avenue and eat from the street carts and take photos".

The three blocks I walked has a high Central and South American influence as well as a high concentration of gay, lesbian and transvestite/transgender community. It's only two neighborhoods away from me, but I feel as though I'm in another world.

FYI--if anyone has seen the movie "Maria Full of Grace" Roosevelt Avenue is prominently shown--it has everything from immigration lawyers, to unbeleivable food, barbershops, tattoo parlors, international calling centers, knock offs, transvestite shows and prostitution--you name it-if you want it, it's there.

[IMG][/img]

Love the first and third, Liz. Boy, Queens has changed. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Love the first and third, Liz. Boy, Queens has changed. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks B.D.
    It changes more everyday, it really is diverse--this was just a two block radius. A few more blocks down and it's Little India and a few more blocks more @ Broadway it's little Korea. But the sheer amount of street food vendors cooking in the metal grocery carts was new to me. Not complaining--it was tasty.

I told my husband I wanted to come back at night and get the night action shots--and he kind of talked me out of it--somethings maybe shouldn't be documented.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    I told my husband I wanted to come back at night and get the night action shots--and he kind of talked me out of it--somethings maybe shouldn't be documented.

I say go for it. Stay discreet and safe, maybe with your hubby in the vicinity? Shooting street at night is fun. Real slice of life stuff. There's a different sense of community and movement than you can't get during the day. A different buzz. At least in my area.

Of the shots, #3 is my fav from the set.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    Sounds like a wonderful Mothers' Day. Nice set of shots, too. Might consider a tighter or square crop on some (2 & 3?).

Go for the night shots. Just bring your biggest, meanest homies with you so no one thinks about messing with you. Now you can shoot the look of fear and awe in their faces... mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    I say go for it. Stay discreet and safe, maybe with your hubby in the vicinity? Shooting street at night is fun. Real slice of life stuff. There's a different sense of community and movement than you can't get during the day. A different buzz. At least in my area.

Of the shots, #3 is my fav from the set.

Hi Jenn,
    I haven't shot at night yet--my best lens is 25mm f2.8 and I struggle with night shots.
    Also, the neighborhood---I love it in the daytime, but at night it's a different world. It can be seedy, late night drinking, drugs, prostitution--I wouldnt' want to take a photo of the wrong person and then disappear.
    Also most people don't have a problem with me taking photos, but at night once people are out drinking, things change, also the major part of that neighborhood are here illegally and might get defensive about having their photos taken--can't say I blame them if they get defensive--especialy these days.
    As far as my husband being in the vicinity--he's already said I'm crazy to even think about it. I get it, the excitement gets the best of me--I know it would make for some great shots (I was picturing "Roosevelt Avenue--the underbelly" and then the following headlines "Amateur photographer and wannabe photojournalist shoots Roosevelt Avenue at night and wakes up with a Colombian bowtie".
    Will have to practice my nighttime street shooting elsewhere.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    Sounds like a wonderful Mothers' Day. Nice set of shots, too. Might consider a tighter or square crop on some (2 & 3?).

Go for the night shots. Just bring your biggest, meanest homies with you so no one thinks about messing with you. Now you can shoot the look of fear and awe in their faces... mwink.gif

It was a wonderful mother's day--good eats and my camera and my family--what else is there?

"homies" she says--would you believe me if I told you I don't have any, though I knew a home-slice in the 80's.
    I would also think this would definately attract unwanted attention--I think I blend in more with my husband, my little girl in her stroller and my son, course that wouldn't work late at night.

I appreciate the encouragement to shoot this--and maybe some day I will, but for now--I'm sticking to daytime :D.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Understood. But practice is a good idea. There must be somewhere with exposed bulbs, harsh interior light spilling out onto the walkways, shadows, dark abysses that's also Mom-friendly.