Options

911 Truthers at Ground Zero

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited May 12, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Spent a weekend in Manhattan recently and came upon a small group of Truthers presenting their point of view to a diverse group of onlookers at the WTC site. Of the first two I prefer the color image. Can't make up my mind about the second pair. What do you think?
Comments and critique are always welcome.

863308059_xWbFh-XL.jpg

863308275_EHGKC-XL.jpg

863308344_cQ8in-XL.jpg

863383061_RbL52-XL.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• Options
    sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    ^^ I prefer the colour shots as they have more depth and realism.
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    I like the B&W. The main fellow stands out more, and the other people are easier to see/concentrate on without the distraction of colour but that's just me.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited May 11, 2010
    Patti wrote: »
    I like the B&W. The main fellow stands out more, and the other people are easier to see/concentrate on without the distraction of colour but that's just me.

15524779-Ti.gif The colors are not particularly attractive and do not add anything to the story you are trying to convey. The best parts of both shots are the expression and posture of the guy on the left, and the orange cone and red sweater simply call attention away from that.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Jack,
    It's great to see you posting here.

I really like shot #1. I like how they are all looking at the speaker, listening with utmost attention and the little boy is the only one not looking, he's reading the material. I also like his stiff little hands as though he's very tense. He reminds me of my son and makes me wonder how many questions he had for his parents after leaving the demonstration.

I like the b&w, as others have said, with the color my eye wonders around to the bright orange and red.
    I also like your conversion. It's hard to get it right with such bright conditions.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    Spent a weekend in Manhattan recently and came upon a small group of Truthers presenting their point of view to a diverse group of onlookers at the WTC site. Of the first two I prefer the color image. Can't make up my mind about the second pair. What do you think?
    Comments and critique are always welcome.

Hi, Jack - Welcome!
    Definitely the black and whites. In both cases the color is distracting and harsh, and overwhelming the people. Without the color we see the faces, the gestures, and postures - which are very well captured - much more clearly. So black and white. clap.gifclap
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2010
    Thanks for looking and for your comments Sabesh and Patti. In the first pair I am torn between color and B&W. In #1 IMHO the speaker and th little boy stand out by virtue of the fact that they are in the foreground. I also like the color version because the skin tones illustrate much more clearly the ethnic diversity of the people than in the B&W. One of the reasons I love NYC is the international/and cultural flavor I experience there. I don't find the color distracting in this case perhaps because I tend to like slightly over saturated colors in my non-street images. In the second pair, I prefer the B&W as the color version almost gives the impression that the speaker is passionately expounding on the virtues of orange cones! :D

Jack
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif The colors are not particularly attractive and do not add anything to the story you are trying to convey. The best parts of both shots are the expression and posture of the guy on the left, and the orange cone and red sweater simply call attention away from that.

Thank you Richard. I actually think that the little boy stands out better in the color version #1. The little boy is actually a main player here as the orator interacted with him frequently. It turns out, although those who were not there would not know this, that the boy was a shill. His parents were part of the Truther group and he had obviously been coached in advance to ask pertinent questions.

Jack
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    I prefer the colour ones in this case. Very different looking location but reminds me of Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas on any weekend.
  • Options
    JordanRHughesJordanRHughes Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 11, 2010
    I like to BW ones.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2010
    Jack,
    It's great to see you posting here.

I really like shot #1. I like how they are all looking at the speaker, listening with utmost attention and the little boy is the only one not looking, he's reading the material. I also like his stiff little hands as though he's very tense. He reminds me of my son and makes me wonder how many questions he had for his parents after leaving the demonstration.

I like the b&w, as others have said, with the color my eye wonders around to the bright orange and red.
    I also like your conversion. It's hard to get it right with such bright conditions.

Thanks for the nice words Liz, and for the detailed commentary. As I mentioned to Richard, the little boy was probably a little tense as he waited for his part in the demonstration. In the first image I actually lean more to the color version.

Jack
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Hi, Jack - Welcome!
    Definitely the black and whites. In both cases the color is distracting and harsh, and overwhelming the people. Without the color we see the faces, the gestures, and postures - which are very well captured - much more clearly. So black and white. clap.gifclap

Thanks BD. As I have said, most of my work is in color and I tend to like bold colors for the most part. I look at at color and see that it usually adds to an image rather than detracts. Having said that, there are definitely some of my images that I prefer in B&W (tho I'm not always sure why). ne_nau.gif

Jack