1) Long days drinking..
864517349_eonQv-L-1.jpg

2) Fashionista

864518117_gC28Y-L-1.jpg

3) Training in progress

864518719_9iJLp-L-1.jpg

4) A busy street

864519474_VPmeb-L-1.jpg

Curious what should/could be done better.

thank you for your time :clap
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Love #3--what a capture. The body language speaks volumes.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    hah! thank you!
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Foques wrote: »
    Curious what should/could be done better.

thank you for your time clap.gif

Okay, because you specifically asked:
    1. A drunk is a drunk is a drunk, and it's no secret I feel pretty strongly about not taking or showing this kind of shot because it doesn't tell us anything, and simply holds up to ridicule a person with an illness. The two exceptions to my feeling would be images that themselves tell us something, whether through juxtaposition of elements, composition, or something else, or images taken of a down-and-outer who you have gotten to know, and whose travails you are documenting.

2. This would be much stronger if we could better see the woman's reflection. As it is, we just have a woman standing with her back to us and a suggestion of her reflected in the polished stone. We really don't have allot here.

3. Wonderful shot!!clap.gifclap Great expressions, and interaction between the young woman and young man. It might have been even stronger were we able to see all of the figure on the right, whose isolation is in such stark contrast to the couples coupling. But that aside it's a wonderful shot...:D

4. Sorry, but nothing here - just people walking.

Now, before you either yell at me, or get bummed at anyone's saying three of these four have big problems, consider that having one strong image out of four is a 25 percent hit rate, which is extremely good - in the days of film the rule of thumb among LIFE staffers was that they were doing well if they had two "keepers" - images they wanted to keep for themselves, out of 36, or 1-in-18, rather than 1-in-4. clap.gifclapclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    B.D!!! Thank you so very much!!
    truth be told, original picture of the drunk was in color, and the reason why I took it was the combination and contrast in colors between the face, shirt and shoes (all had bright distinct colors), but the whole surrounding was drowning in color.. So I kept it BW..
    As much as I agree with people not shooting those who are ill, alcoholism is a sign of a weakness, not sickness.. to me that is.

is this (color) version any better for #2?
    http://foquesphoto.com/People/Faces-of-the-street/fashion-color/864518483_SMZaJ-L-1.jpg

I shot this @ 17 mm, with my hand dropped, and just fired series of shots so i wouldn't be spotted :) I really wish I aimed better to get the guy on the right.. now, that you mention it.

I always wanted to grab a capture as such, but not a big fan of cities.. so thats why it made its way here.

Truly, I am hoping to create a gallery of "Faces on the street".. basically just captures of candid moments in a stranger's life.. I know it is a large project, but it will give me a theme to work with :)

And I ALWAYS welcome critique. I would prefer to hear that the shot sucks rather than nothing at all. How else can I learn?
    thanks to people such as yourself, I have gotten where I am right now.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Foques wrote: »
    B.D!!! Thank you so very much!!
    truth be told, original picture of the drunk was in color, and the reason why I took it was the combination and contrast in colors between the face, shirt and shoes (all had bright distinct colors), but the whole surrounding was drowning in color.. So I kept it BW..
    As much as I agree with people not shooting those who are ill, alcoholism is a sign of a weakness, not sickness.. to me that is.

is this (color) version any better for #2?
    http://foquesphoto.com/People/Faces-of-the-street/fashion-color/864518483_SMZaJ-L-1.jpg

I shot this @ 17 mm, with my hand dropped, and just fired series of shots so i wouldn't be spotted :) I really wish I aimed better to get the guy on the right.. now, that you mention it.

I always wanted to grab a capture as such, but not a big fan of cities.. so thats why it made its way here.

Truly, I am hoping to create a gallery of "Faces on the street".. basically just captures of candid moments in a stranger's life.. I know it is a large project, but it will give me a theme to work with :)

And I ALWAYS welcome critique. I would prefer to hear that the shot sucks rather than nothing at all. How else can I learn?
    thanks to people such as yourself, I have gotten where I am right now.

Yup - definitely keep at it. As to the color version of the reflection, I have the same problem either way - not enough there.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif