Options

Pre/Post-wedding shoots & why i prefer them.

Light_prodLight_prod Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
edited June 13, 2012 in Weddings
Hi guys I just wanted to share an opinion I have on pre/post wedding shoots, why I encourage my clients to them and see what your thoughts as wedding photographers are on the topic.

I've written a blog post here: http://laraluz.com/ruth-lindsays-pre-wedding-shoot-melbourne-wedding-photography/ but industry related comments can be discussed in this thread.

What I mean by pre or post wedding shoots is this:

A pre wedding shoot is not an engagement session. Its a portrait session where the couple get dressed in their wedding atire and do their wedding portraits before the day.

A post wedding session is not a trash the dress (unless they want to trash their dress!) again its the wedding portrait session after the wedding day.

The reason I prefer to do this because I like to capture weddings in a truly photojournalistic style. I sit back on the day and do little talking to anyone and just document the day. I've found that having to break out of that to shoot formal portraits can be hard on the creative brain. It take a bit of warming up to switch modes. It also reminds the couple and bridal party that your there and changes the dynamic and presence I've spent the morning creating.
They go back to noticing your there and feeling self conscious about it.
Of course when shooting pj they know I'm there but are comfortable enough to not let it change they way the are acting etc.

On top of this "mindset switch" you also need to contend with a bridal party that really just wants to go have a drink (or has already had a few) or possible time constants.
Shooting on another day allows us to take our time and have stress free fun with it and it means that on the day, they don't need to leave their guests (and their party) to go take photos.

Every time I've done this I've ended up with better coverage on the day and much better formal portraits from the portrait session.

My question for discussion is this:
Do you find it tricky to make the creative switch throughout the day?
Is it something that even bothers you at all?

Comments

• Options
    chuckdee1chuckdee1 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    re
    Light_prod,

I know exactly what you're talking about. When I first started, the transition was almost tortuous.
    Over the years, with experience it has become a lot easier. Many of my clients are not interested in a before shoot. Sometimes it's the groom that doesn't want to see the dress before the wedding and sometimes it's the bride that doesn't want to show it!
    After the wedding is an option but surely you charge extra for another day of shooting?
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    Jim Garner spoke at a NY photography show not too long ago about the difference between US and Australian wedding customs.

He said that in Australia, the custom was to have a morning ceremony and an evening reception, with the whole afternoon to hang out with the bridal couple and bridal party. That's how, in my mind, anyway, it seemed that the Australians like Marcus Bell and Jerry G. were always among the best WP's in the world...(not to take away from their talent at all, they are both incredible)
    Hours to work with just the couple and their closest friends.

Your post has me wondering; is that not the case?
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2012
    I haven't noticed that at all here in Australia.

That will only happen if a couple are having their ceremony somewhere other than there reception.
    Because venues will allow people to hire their chapel or garden for ceremony/photography only or ceremony, photography and reception they leave the ceremony only spaces for the morning. If that makes sense?

If you book a venue that offers everything you'll have your ceremony time, 1-1.5 hours of canapés while photo's are being taken and then reception time. In those cases everything is back to back.

Those that get married in a church or somewhere other than the reception venue are forced to book the ceremony in the morning and wait all day for the reception.

The time of clients I get tend to book a one place does it all venue so we don't have 3 hours available for photos and I don't think my clients would want that either.

I charge extra for the pre-post wedding shoots.
  • Options
    LubinskiLubinski Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    I love the juxtaposition in some of those images. Some food for thought
    ~Lubinski
  • Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited May 17, 2012
    I actually talk to my couples at length about time - how much I need, what I use it for, and how I recommend jiggling the schedule to make it fit. I found that the more you communicate what you need for an ideal scenario, the more you'll find that couples are on board with it and totally give you that creative control.
  • Options
    hnjngohnjngo Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    I totally agree that its good to have a pre/post wedding shoot, to make it easier on everyone on the day.

Also, Lara i love your pictures and your style, but i saw one picture with the soft box that was dying to be taken out. And i was just in the middle of playing with cs6's content aware patches and such so i couldn't resist to give it a shot. =)

7219735658_e5c055ddcb_b.jpg

i-4kWJqS3-X2.jpg
    Current Gear: Canon 40d, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 580EX II
    Flickr
    Smugmug
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    What about the expense to the couple/wedding party of getting hair and makeup done a second time? I like the idea, but my worry is that they wouldn't want to spend another couple hundred dollars on hair and makeup. Have you had any experience/push back with this?
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2012
    hnjngo wrote: »
    I totally agree that its good to have a pre/post wedding shoot, to make it easier on everyone on the day.

Also, Lara i love your pictures and your style, but i saw one picture with the soft box that was dying to be taken out. And i was just in the middle of playing with cs6's content aware patches and such so i couldn't resist to give it a shot. =)

I left the soft box and cables in there on purpose mwink.gif

In fact if my assistant was in the shot I would have kept her in it as well.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2012
    Kinkajou wrote: »
    What about the expense to the couple/wedding party of getting hair and makeup done a second time? I like the idea, but my worry is that they wouldn't want to spend another couple hundred dollars on hair and makeup. Have you had any experience/push back with this?

Couples usually co ordinate their make up and hair trials with the pre wedding shoot so they don't need to pay to have it done again or in the case of post wedding wedding shoots, just do it themselves. We are not trying to make it look like the shoot was done on the wedding day so if there is variation there its not an issue.
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2012
    I never feel as though I've had enough time with the B&G to photograph them well. There's such pressure to get to the reception and tend to the guests. Also, sometimes, especially if its mid-day, the light isn't quite what I want. I'd love a second shot at bride and groom portraits.
  • Options
    laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    I've never heard of this and I would feel weird suggesting it to clients, but man would I be excited if they suggested it to me! It sounds like a blast. I find it extremely difficult to transition between being a fly on the wall and taking charge for formal portraits and then back again. Though, I feel like this is likely because I haven't been shooting weddings for very long. I assume (and hope) that over time that transition would get easier.
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    I don't think this would work too well for a destination wedding or if the couple went off on a honeymoon immediately. And a lot of people are superstitious about the groom seeing the dress beforehand.

I think the formal portraits are the least interesting of the wedding pictures anyway.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    When I meet with the couple I talk with them about having a plan for the day, and that includes time to do the formals. Never had them on another day, but I would love doing that. Its usually more of a decision about before or after the ceremony. Many are doing them before, since after the ceremony they want to basically enjoy themselves and not be taking photos while guests are there wanting to interact with them. I have done the formals after the ceremony and its usually much more of a headache. Its not as bad if the reception is at a different venue, then at least the guests usually aren't hanging around distracting the wedding party, family, etc. But after the wedding, many are just wanting to go enjoy themselves and anything that takes away from that isn't what they want to do (besides couple, sometimes even them because its finally over and now they want to party). Having done formals after where we had to send people to get people from the reception and it seemed like it was pulling teeth sometimes, and it really was a major pain.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me