Options

Wedding shooting tricks?

2»

Comments

• Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    yeah;
    I think this is the main reason why I am finding myself agreeing on a lot of things that are being suggested, and noting that they were done.
    Super helpful, but it was the very first place I looked. :)
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    WillCAD wrote: »
    You did your best to talk him out of the wedding, or just to talk him out of having you shoot it? rolleyes1.gif

Lol, kind of both. Mostly the shooting thing though. I have no desire to shoot weddings, family or not lol. My other son did have a retro wedding a few months ago that turned out cool.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2012
    any tips on shooting outside on a cloudy day, by chance?
    the d-day is tomorrow for this guy..
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2012
    Foques wrote: »
    any tips on shooting outside on a cloudy day, by chance?
    the d-day is tomorrow for this guy..

shootin gon cloudy day is for most...best possible scenario! usually don't need any fill or any light at all. sky becomes and huge light box with nice soft light and few shadows.clap.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2012
    i know, that's what I prefer for portraits and close ups. I guess i'm just freaking out a bit... :)
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    shootin gon cloudy day is for most...best possible scenario! usually don't need any fill or any light at all. sky becomes and huge light box with nice soft light and few shadows.clap.gif

I actually borderline-hate overcast days, depending on the location. Anybody with deep set eyes just looks like a raccoon without fill, and since there's no sun there's no natural reflection. I find myself seeking "shade" even moreso on cloudy days than sunny. Or at least, I mean I find myself hunting for overhanging areas that help direct light at people's faces from straight-on, instead of flat overhead light falling on the tops of their heads.

With sunlight, at least I can use contrast and rim lighting to create drama in the image...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Joe BarnetJoe Barnet Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2012
    That's a looong topic Foques... I don't know if anyone's mentioned this so far, but have you thought of calling wedding photographers in your area that may be able to use a free non-shooting assistant in the next few days? If you can go to a wedding to lend a hand with gear, reflectors, etc and see what the shooters are doing, what photos are important, how they work with the clients, etc. that would be very useful. Also, google "weddings at your location" and you'll see work done there by other photographers. Go to the venue with a couple you know before the wedding and try posing them where you plan to work with your B&G... Bring a helper with you the day of the wedding. This person can remind you of important groups you need to photograph, help with your gear, etc...
    Just a few thoughts...
    Good luck!