Options

Lens Question

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited June 26, 2012 in Weddings
Does anyone use the Nikkor 24-120 f/4 for shooting events? Likes? Dislikes?
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Options
    Light_prodLight_prod Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2012
    I have never used this lens before but once the sun goes down I rarely shoot over f3 so I could imagine it being very frustrating in low light.
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2012
    Hi, Lara. Thanks for your response. I was thinking more about indoors (with flash) for this lens. I have the 24-70 f/2.8 but it's a brick. A solid gold brick, but a brick nonetheless.

By the way, thanks for your contribution to the civil rights thread over in weddings. I bailed from that one long ago. I'm probably a lot older than you, so will offer you this "wisdom" from a geezer: Never wrestle with a pig. You can't win, it annoys the pig, and you just get dirty. Peace and love, Sister.
    John :
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Hi, Lara. Thanks for your response. I was thinking more about indoors (with flash) for this lens. I have the 24-70 f/2.8 but it's a brick. A solid gold brick, but a brick nonetheless.

By the way, thanks for your contribution to the civil rights thread over in weddings. I bailed from that one long ago. I'm probably a lot older than you, so will offer you this "wisdom" from a geezer: Never wrestle with a pig. You can't win, it annoys the pig, and you just get dirty. Peace and love, Sister.

I have the 24-70 2.8 Nikon as well, but I'm dying to give the new 24-120 a spin... I'm just waiting for my local shop to get one in...

Why? I've got DOF to spare, shutter speed to spare, and ISO to spare *most* of the time, and *most* of the time I wish I had more than 70mm. It's a simple equation really. 24-120 would be great in decent light, and yeah I'd use the 24-70 when the light got super yucky...

Or, heck, that's what primes are for right?

I'm also a huge fan of a dual-camera setup; I'd love to have a 24-120 on one hip and a 85 1.4 on the other. That'd really make my day look beautiful...

=Matt=
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Light_prodLight_prod Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2012
    yeah I tend to use higher iso rather than drag the shutter a touch for ambient indoor (flash) shots.

I also use primes because of how stupidly heavy the 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8's are. They are so heavy that I need to shoot at higher shutters as I can't keep them still enough!

And john, I know what you mean re: the other thread.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2012

I don't shoot Nikon so I can't help you with that one, but I would rather use a solid gold brick than poor quality feather.

It can also be lots of fun to wrestle the little piggy and get all muddy. The trick is to understand the fun is in the process and that winning ain't gona happen. :D

Sam
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2012
    Does anyone use the Nikkor 24-120 f/4 for shooting events? Likes? Dislikes?

You can always give the lens a rental to see how you like it.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2012
    I tried it at the local store...didn't like it on my D800. But if you shoot zooms, I think it's a great lenses that covers that range.

The lens reinforced why I shoot primes only.
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2012
    Lens selection is incredibly personal. How do you see the world? What focal lengths get you going? How do you plan on using the lens?

As said above, the best thing to do is rent and put it to work. See if it fits your requirements.
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2012
    I have the 24-70 2.8 Nikon as well, but I'm dying to give the new 24-120 a spin... I'm just waiting for my local shop to get one in...

Why? I've got DOF to spare, shutter speed to spare, and ISO to spare *most* of the time, and *most* of the time I wish I had more than 70mm. It's a simple equation really. 24-120 would be great in decent light, and yeah I'd use the 24-70 when the light got super yucky...

Or, heck, that's what primes are for right?

I'm also a huge fan of a dual-camera setup; I'd love to have a 24-120 on one hip and a 85 1.4 on the other. That'd really make my day look beautiful...

=Matt=
    =Matt=

That would be a good setup. I'd say the weakest part of the 24-120mm f/4 is it's 85-105mm range.

I have been rocking the 24-120mm f/4 for awhile now. If you really need large aperture lens, nothing will beat a good prime. If you need super shallow DoF, get a prime or longer lens. If you want a fast and reliable auto focus in a very good all around zoom that will give you pretty good color rendering, the 24-120 f/4 is your ticket.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2012
    insanefred wrote: »
    That would be a good setup. I'd say the weakest part of the 24-120mm f/4 is it's 85-105mm range.

I have been rocking the 24-120mm f/4 for awhile now. If you really need large aperture lens, nothing will beat a good prime. If you need super shallow DoF, get a prime or longer lens. If you want a fast and reliable auto focus in a very good all around zoom that will give you pretty good color rendering, the 24-120 f/4 is your ticket.

Yep, honestly if you really need aperture in a mid-range zoom with as much reach as possible, just get a D800 to use with the 24-70 2.8, and configure DX crop mode to be easy-access on one of the customizable buttons.

Or, if you just need aperture beyond 70mm but you don't wanna lug around / pay for the 70-200, ...then the 105 f/2 or 135 f/2 (or the Sigma 150 f/2.8 OS) ...all make great alternatives. (And Nikon should probably be making a new f/2 tele prime soon, I hope!)

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2012
    Well, if I don't pick up the 24-120, I was thinking of using the 24-70 on the D700 and my 85 f/1.4 on the D300, so it'd be like a 125. Hello foot-zoom.
    John :
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2012
    Well, if I don't pick up the 24-120, I was thinking of using the 24-70 on the D700 and my 85 f/1.4 on the D300, so it'd be like a 125. Hello foot-zoom.

I shot a lot with the 85 1.4 on a D300, and honestly while it's pretty awesome, it feels like it lets me down kinda often compared to the D700. As far as focusing and sharpness / image quality, that is. Unless you're shooting at ISO 100-200 and have the lens perfectly calibrated, I prefer to shoot on full-frame.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2012
    I shot a lot with the 85 1.4 on a D300, and honestly while it's pretty awesome, it feels like it lets me down kinda often compared to the D700. As far as focusing and sharpness / image quality, that is. Unless you're shooting at ISO 100-200 and have the lens perfectly calibrated, I prefer to shoot on full-frame.

=Matt=
    Advice noted. Do you think that speaks more to the comparison between the D300 and D700 or to the combination of the lens and D300? I only have one D700, so can't carry both lenses mounted on D700s.
    John :
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    John, is the reason you are looking at the 24-120 because the 24-70 is a beast to carry around or is it the focal length you are interested in?

The reason I ask is, although I don't do weddings and never will, I am really enjoying the 35-70mm 2.8 I recently purchased for doing families and groups. It's much smaller than the 24-70 while still a solid pro build and I can't find much wrong with the images it produces on the D-700. Only issue with it is lens flare when shooting into bright light. Gotta use the hood! Haven't used it on a crop sensor.

Pristine copies can be found in the 300 - 350.00 price range. Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2012
    Advice noted. Do you think that speaks more to the comparison between the D300 and D700 or to the combination of the lens and D300? I only have one D700, so can't carry both lenses mounted on D700s.

After letting my D300 gather dust for almost a year since getting the D700, I've recently begun to start shooting again with both cameras side by side, using various different flagship and third-party lenses...

With the two 2.8's I regularly use, the 24-70 and 70-200 mk2, the D300 can hold it's own as long as it has the right AF fine tuning plugged in. And it always seems like the D300 needs a little bit more attention to AF fine tuning than the D700, but maybe I just got lucky with my copy of the D700.

When switching to f/1.4 primes, I do find that the D300 isn't as nail-it-every-time accurate as the D700 is. But again, if you pay close attention to the AF calibration; you can get just as good results.

All in all, I can't exactly discourage it, just encourage caution and a technical mastery of on-location focus calibration adjustments...

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2012
    John, is the reason you are looking at the 24-120 because the 24-70 is a beast to carry around or is it the focal length you are interested in?

Yes.
    No, seriously, mostly for the range. I love the 24-70 but think the extra reach would be good to have on occasion. I'm really used to the heft.
    John :
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2012
    Thanks Matt. I've set up calibration tests for all my lens/body combos (I think) and have been amazed that I haven't had to tweak anything. Kinda irritated me, cause I wanted to feel like all that micro-focusing stuff was there for a reason. mwink.gif
    John :
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2012
    Thanks Matt. I've set up calibration tests for all my lens/body combos (I think) and have been amazed that I haven't had to tweak anything. Kinda irritated me, cause I wanted to feel like all that micro-focusing stuff was there for a reason. mwink.gif

Oh trust me, it is... You may get lucky for now, but sooner or later it'll come in handy, I promise!

=Matt=