Options

Illegal Art in Hollywood

JimmyHickeyJimmyHickey Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited July 30, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Went out a few nights ago with a few pretty well known urban artists from around LA. We left at 2 A.M. and when we were finally heading home, the early morning commuters were already on the streets drinking their coffee. We hit up Melrose Ave in Hollywood, one of the streets known for it's urban art, especially with Obey. I photographed them wheat pasting and tagging certain signs and buildings...I even climbed to the top of a building to get one of these shots...one of my cameras took a pretty nasty fall off of a railing while climbing but luckily it survived. It's amazing how much etiquette goes in to illegal art. As far as the photography only two rules I must follow: No complete faces, no identity
948326383_vPnm3-L.jpg
948307784_KvAGu-L.jpg
948317368_G5Ayf-L.jpg
948337443_ihChR-L.jpg
948302613_PeLih-L.jpg
948297798_MdJWt-L.jpg
8 And the Artists
948524066_uZjnn-L.jpg
948308798_osbbB-L.jpg

Thanks for looking, stay tuned for a full project on illegal art!

Comments

• Options
    Te AmoTe Amo Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    i spy shepard fairey
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Interesting project! Very cool thumb.gif
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Breaking the law in the name of art, always a plus.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    JHarris1984JHarris1984 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Love #4 with the artist and the police car in the background.

Jon
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 27, 2010
    Wow! excellent, cool, phat, bad, whatever - it is it thumb.gif

agreed - #4 is very cool
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2010
    Thanks for the comments guys!
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    I really enjoyed this series. I love the light and tunnel effect in #7. Is the art in #6 illegal or done commercially? It's incredible.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    What a neat way to spend a night!!

Thank you so much for sharing these.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Really enjoyable series. I like the feeling of having to hurry on the desolate locations that you capture in the shots.

Looks like a great time to be able to accompany them and take the photos. Interesting that there is a whole subculture built around this.
  • Options
    CAPTURED2HCAPTURED2H Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    wow they do not paint their own places they destroy others and you folks think this is great and I hope you show this to your children so they can grow up and follow in the shoes of this scum .Dgrin is wrong really wrong to leave this post up but illegal is the was the country is headed so just wow --Dfrown
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    6 & 9 are tight. Nice set.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited July 28, 2010
    Nice set. You captured the furtive feeling well. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2010
    CAPTURED2H wrote: »
    wow they do not paint their own places they destroy others and you folks think this is great and I hope you show this to your children so they can grow up and follow in the shoes of this scum .Dgrin is wrong really wrong to leave this post up but illegal is the was the country is headed so just wow --Dfrown
    It's wheat paste and paper, both water soluble and can be literally pulled off with your hands. They aren't destroying anything, they are bringing art into people lives and reawakening a sense of wonder about one’s environment.
  • Options
    Te AmoTe Amo Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    promoguypromoguy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    Gotta agee Tiger....and it's my taxes that go to clean the mess they make since I pay property tas. Did they pick up the paper left laying around the street.
  • Options
    BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    Great Images!
    #4 and #7 do it for me
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    promoguy wrote: »
    Gotta agee Tiger....and it's my taxes that go to clean the mess they make since I pay property tas. Did they pick up the paper left laying around the street.

I'll third that. I don't care how talented they are or how good their final results are, its an illegal act that shows little respect for other people's property.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    If it's so harmless then why are they hiding their faces? Wheat paste, hmm, that sure looks like he's spray painting someone elses property to me. Photo #2 is an exellent example of how easily that crap comes off. 4 and 9 - I'm sure their going to clean up the trash they threw all over the ground in their feeble attemp to make room for their lovely "artwork". I don't know about the rest of you but I find the poster of the cop sitting on the toilet in really poor taste. If you really don't mind what they are doing here why not volenteer your house or property so that their "art" can be practiced legally. As for the photos, I don't find them to be any real works of art either, just snapshots of someone breaking the law.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2010
    Just a reminder that we are not here to discuss the legality or ethics of graffiti painters. Illegal acts are perfectly appropriate subjects of photojournalism. Taking and publishing pictures does not imply approval either by the photographer or the publisher. It's just reporting on what's out there.
  • Options
    bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    The feeling evoked by a photograph is just as important as the picture itself. That's a large part of why we do it. This is a discussion forum and not just a place to show off your pretty pictures. Or at least that's what I thought, I could be wrong.
  • Options
    promoguypromoguy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    "Just a reminder that we are not here to discuss the legality or ethics of graffiti painters. Illegal acts are perfectly appropriate subjects of photojournalism. Taking and publishing pictures does not imply approval either by the photographer or the publisher. It's just reporting on what's out there."

Didn't know that trespassing is legal in Spain. Looks like both the guy who took the pictures and the guy splattering stuff on the side of a private building are doing both that and making work for building owner in order to clean it up. And yeah, I think I'll comment when I see a couple of young guys with masks on their faces cuz they don't have the guts to show their faces, spread crap around MY city. Let them do it in Madrid.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2010
    You don't seem to have gotten the message. I will delete any further posts that do not address photography. There are many, many other forums on the Internet where you can discuss social issues all you want.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    promoguy wrote: »
    "Just a reminder that we are not here to discuss the legality or ethics of graffiti painters. Illegal acts are perfectly appropriate subjects of photojournalism. Taking and publishing pictures does not imply approval either by the photographer or the publisher. It's just reporting on what's out there."

Didn't know that trespassing is legal in Spain. Looks like both the guy who took the pictures and the guy splattering stuff on the side of a private building are doing both that and making work for building owner in order to clean it up. And yeah, I think I'll comment when I see a couple of young guys with masks on their faces cuz they don't have the guts to show their faces, spread crap around MY city. Let them do it in Madrid.

Did you read what you quoted? Take a deep breath and just look at the images. If you don't like them, so be it. You can always comment about how to improve the photography. If you don't like the subject matter, go out and address it in your community. The police obviously didn't notice while it was happening just behind them. In either instance the photographer did a service.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2010
    If it's so harmless then why are they hiding their faces? Wheat paste, hmm, that sure looks like he's spray painting someone elses property to me. Photo #2 is an exellent example of how easily that crap comes off. 4 and 9 - I'm sure their going to clean up the trash they threw all over the ground in their feeble attemp to make room for their lovely "artwork". I don't know about the rest of you but I find the poster of the cop sitting on the toilet in really poor taste. If you really don't mind what they are doing here why not volenteer your house or property so that their "art" can be practiced legally. As for the photos, I don't find them to be any real works of art either, just snapshots of someone breaking the law.

It may be harmless, but it is still illegal. They are aware of the legal danger and do it anyways.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for the comments everyone, happy to see this set of images caused such debate. This was an incredibly difficult thing to shoot considering the limitations and obstacles...like climbing a 3 story building and hiding from the cops...not to mention the safety or the legal trouble I could have got in for accompanying them. Even though its legal to photograph an illegal activity, I've heard some pretty bad things happen to photographers following urban artists around. But in my opinion it was all worth the risk, I got some photos that in my opinion capture the feel of what its like out there and show the world whats going on during the streets while the city sleeps.

Bmore if you think these are snapshots what would you suggest to make them not appear as snapshots? Give me some advice. Just because you don't like the subject matter, or what they do doesn't justify calling a set of images "snapshots" without being able to back that up. I guarantee what I went out and shot that night is more difficult and intense then the average photographer will ever go through in their lifetime. Take that into consideration before you put down an entire set of images.
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2010
    I would have liked to have seen more of the art in the pics. #5 has that, but the person is really small--#1 is better balanced in that regard.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 29, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    I would have liked to have seen more of the art in the pics...

15524779-Ti.gif

I'd like to understand the motivation these young guys have. Political? Social justice? Or like most gang taggers, just ego?

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    Angelo wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

I'd like to understand the motivation these young guys have. Political? Social justice? Or like most gang taggers, just ego?

ancient motivation in the DNA all species like to mark their territory :D No really rolleyes1.gif

the one with cop car is the one I like, just adds a little thrill :wow
  • Options
    CAPTURED2HCAPTURED2H Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]post.gifp.1 #8 · Illegal Art in Hollywood

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]One man's vandal helps open the worlds eyes and reawaken a sense of wonder about one’s environment.
    [/FONT]

Are you for real ? Your photos due show with the grit and dirt oh and filth the subject matter very well but I think you boys should do a day shoot for better EXPOSER that would give us better detail deal.gif
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif

Not sure, I'll ask them and get back to you. Personally I think it's because it exposes the world to things they have created and for that brief second see the world as the artist sees it. Check out www.obeygiant.com for some pretty interesting information in that department.
    CAPTURED2H wrote: »
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]post.gifp.1 #8 · Illegal Art in Hollywood

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]One man's vandal helps open the worlds eyes and reawaken a sense of wonder about one’s environment.
    [/FONT]

Are you for real ? Your photos due show with the grit and dirt oh and filth the subject matter very well but I think you boys should do a day shoot for better EXPOSER that would give us better detail deal.gif
    During the day won't work because there are too many people. Alternativily I do have a set of images where I followed actual taggers, not wheat pasters around, I think I'll post that up now:)
    Here are a few of their actual work-
    948315971_ih8wj-L.jpg
    948312037_eHwCv-L.jpg
    948305927_UYd5d-L.jpg
    948335969_cutaD-L.jpg
    948331532_8fKmr-L.jpg
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    some interesting viewing on the subject of street art:

Now, now, now..... "Just a reminder that we are not here to discuss the legality or ethics of graffiti painters", "You don't seem to have gotten the message. I will delete any further posts that do not address photography."

By the way, thanks to all who PM'd me thanking me for standing up to the view that this is illegal!

I'm out of this thread now.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu