Options

Seeking Opinions

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited June 20, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I took a photo a few days ago because I saw something that I wanted to capture. For me, the photo succeeds. But we all know that it easy for the photographer who, after all, knows what was in her mind when she took the picture.

I can certainly understand that, for a number of reasons, others might not see what I saw and/or might find the photograph lacking in interest.

To complicate matters, I like it better in color than in black and white, even though the color could be seen to distract.

Anyhow, if you have a reaction - blah, OK, toss it, or whatever - or an opinion re color vs black and white - or if you see something interesting in the picture, I'd love to know.

Suggestions for making it work better are always welcome.

Version 1 - color

901496856_L4Cmb-L.jpg

Version 2 - black and white

901494174_GUMiC-L.jpg

Virginia

Email

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    I can see exactly why you prefer colour for this. The purple and yellow connection from the banner through to the children is a nice catch. Without that, it's not interesting. Even so, it's still only margin. I'd hold onto it for a while and see how you feel about it in a month or two.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2010
    Thanks, Jennifer. I appreciate your comment and sage advice.

Va

Email
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif

It looks somewhat oversaturated for my tastes -- that is the first thing I noticed. There are a few nice elements, including the color matching, the sitting kids in front of the standing adults, and the reflection of the church.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited June 15, 2010
    Color for sure, for the reason Jenn gave. Yellow and purple are natural complements in color theory and having them echoed in the banner is too good an opportunity to waste.

I think the crop could be improved. I don't like the amount of empty space at the bottom. I'm guessing there are more pixels where those came from--unless you were shooting medium format. One possibility is cropping square anchored upper left and extending just beyond the girl in the purple, but you get a couple of people cut in half that way. It almost works cropping 5x4 from what you posted, but not quite. It would work if you could extend the frame to the right a bit. If there's something terrible lurking there, then I would even consider just chopping some off the bottom and using a non-standard aspect ratio. It's only rock 'n' roll rolleyes1.gif.

BTW, I wish you would post some more Paris shots. There's going to be a new, ridiculously high speed train between Madrid and Paris soon and it would whet my appetite. :bread
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    Seeking Opinions
    Fun color shot from Boston! thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2010
    Thanks Rainbow! You see some of what made me take the pictures, namely the adults all engrossed in taking pictures or passing through, and the children essentially invisible to them, despite their bright yellow shirts.

Thank you Don. Yes, it is definitely a Boston shot!

Richard - You are correct. There are plenty of pixels left! I will give cropping a try. I'm just feeling at the moment that the scene overwhelms the people part of the shot (which is as it was experienced in real life, btw) and, unless I can successfully crop it to tell a more coherent story, which means being closer to the people, I will consider the pic a miss. (I might consider it a miss anyway!)

One other comment as I process my reactions to this shot. The fact that the photograph loses impact in black and white suggests that it is not strong enough compositionally. Color can be great, but for a shot like this, you also need to communicate something beyond just a busy square in the city.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote: »
    I took a photo a few days ago because I saw something that I wanted to capture. For me, the photo succeeds. But we all know that it easy for the photographer who, after all, knows what was in her mind when she took the picture.

I can certainly understand that, for a number of reasons, others might not see what I saw and/or might find the photograph lacking in interest.

To complicate matters, I like it better in color than in black and white, even though the color could be seen to distract.

Anyhow, if you have a reaction - blah, OK, toss it, or whatever - or an opinion re color vs black and white - or if you see something interesting in the picture, I'd love to know.

Suggestions for making it work better are always welcome.

Version 1 - color

Virginia

Neck out - Okay, Virginia, I love you AND your photography. But this one doesn't work in color or black and white. Sorry. I really love the reflection and the church front, in either color or black and white. But in both the kids are just distracting busyness. In the color version the damn purple makes my stomach start doing flips. And in black and white its all these bloobs of white filling the center of the frame. I know, I know, the banner is purple and yellow and the kids are purple and yellow, but...does the world need that much purple and yellow? rolleyes1.gif I can see what was in your mind, but I just don't think it really translates to the screen/print. Sorry. (But you did ask, right? mwink.gif)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2010
    Thank you BD. Please, don't ever apologize for your frank opinions - especially since I asked.:D

I think, sometimes, that I learn a lot more from failures than I do from successes. The lessons may take a while to sink in, but I find that understanding what others see - or don't see - really helps me progress.

Don't get me wrong. If I love a photo (mine or anyone else's), I don't stop loving it because others (even you!) do not. But for this one I was pretty sure I was projecting something that I saw and felt that just didn't show up in the photograph. Nonetheless, it was very hard for me to be subjective.

Which is a long winded way of saying again, thank you very much for weighing in.

Oh, and thank you too for the kind words the preceded your comments on the photo.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote: »
    Thank you BD. Please, don't ever apologize for your frank opinions - especially since I asked.:D

I think, sometimes, that I learn a lot more from failures than I do from successes. The lessons may take a while to sink in, but I find that understanding what others see - or don't see - really helps me progress.

Don't get me wrong. If I love a photo (mine or anyone else's), I don't stop loving it because others (even you!) do not. But for this one I was pretty sure I was projecting something that I saw and felt that just didn't show up in the photograph. Nonetheless, it was very hard for me to be subjective.

Which is a long winded way of saying again, thank you very much for weighing in.

Oh, and thank you too for the kind words the preceded your comments on the photo.

Virginia

In regard to the last comment, you're quite welcome. As to the photo and your difficulty with assessing it - that's a problem we all have. We see something, and we love what we see. We shoot it thinking that we will capture what we saw, but what we saw was really something we imagined, we idealized. The problem is that when we look at it on the screen, or as a print, we often have difficulty separating what we "saw" from what we actually captured.

To put this at it's most basic - and this certainly doesn't apply to your photographyrolleyes1.gif Imagine a young child riding in the car in the back seat with a point-and-shoot camera, or a disposable camera. The car goes past a field, with a red barn, a black and white cow, and clouds in the sky. The child is drawn to the scene and shoots. Needless to say, the resulting image is, well, truly pathetic - it's blurred by the speed of the car, and the cow and red barn are barely much more than dots, because of course they were a couple hundred yards from the car. But the child loves the photo, and insists that Mom and Dad agree that it's a wonderful image. Is the child delusional? No, of course not. When the child looks at the "photo" she sees the image she saw when she pushed the shutter release. Mom and Dad, however, not being emotionally invested in the scene, see what was actually produced - a mushy nothing.

Which is a long way to say something I've said countless times here - we are all our own worst editors, because we are emotionally invested in our images; if we hadn't thought there was something special to shoot, we wouldn't have shot it. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Which is a long way to say something I've said countless times here - we are all our own worst editors, because we are emotionally invested in our images; if we hadn't thought there was something special to shoot, we wouldn't have shot it. :D

Which is an interesting position. I consider this a learning space and a virtual editor for my own work. Assuming that we all thought we saw something of interest when we pressed the shutter, did the PP and posted, what were we looking to get by posting images here? I'm sensitive to this forum becoming an echo-chamber of the same small group supporting each other. But, I'm not sure how to balance being open and inviting to newcomers yet still harsh but honest to the established crowd.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    Which is an interesting position. I consider this a learning space and a virtual editor for my own work. Assuming that we all thought we saw something of interest when we pressed the shutter, did the PP and posted, what were we looking to get by posting images here? I'm sensitive to this forum becoming an echo-chamber of the same small group supporting each other. But, I'm not sure how to balance being open and inviting to newcomers yet still harsh but honest to the established crowd.

Well that old adage, "Honesty is the Best Policy" works balanced with respect.

I consider this place a learning/sharing place as well. However I don't feel this is elementary school,
    I think more college.

I figure by the time you get to college you should be able to handle slings and arrows along with roses and chocolate.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited June 16, 2010
    ... But, I'm not sure how to balance being open and inviting to newcomers yet still harsh but honest to the established crowd.
    I don't think it has to be a problem. We know who's who, for one thing and I think it's appropriate to cut a newcomer some slack. There's nothing dishonest about being nurturing, and most of us know how to give gentle guidance. Besides, one also learns by reading critiques of other people's photos--since there's no ego involvement, it can even be more educational. deal.gif
  • Options
    BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2010

michswiss - Although I have yet to post a photo to this forum (seem to have a mental block when it comes to shooting street) I agree with you, this forum is definitely a learning space.

bd - "Emotionally invested in our images" Yep, thats it. I know I will stand to be corrected if wrong, but I believe that for some of his images, Garry Winograd intentionally allowed weeks if not months to pass between shooting photos, and actually processing them, so as to emotionally detatch himself from the photo.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2010
    Brewster wrote: »
    michswiss - Although I have yet to post a photo to this forum (seem to have a mental block when it comes to shooting street) I agree with you, this forum is definitely a learning space.

bd - "Emotionally invested in our images" Yep, thats it. I know I will stand to be corrected if wrong, but I believe that for some of his images, Garry Winograd intentionally allowed weeks if not months to pass between shooting photos, and actually processing them, so as to emotionally detatch himself from the photo.

You may well be right - or that's the intellectual bs and the truth is that he was such a prolific shooter that he was always weeks and months behind in processing. I don't know which is true, but I do recall reading that when he died he left behind literally thousands of rolls of unprocessed film.

mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    You may well be right - or that's the intellectual bs and the truth is that he was such a prolific shooter that he was always weeks and months behind in processing. I don't know which is true, but I do recall reading that when he died he left behind literally thousands of rolls of unprocessed film.

mwink.gif

bd - As with most stories, truth probably being somewhere in the middle. That's where my info came from as well, an article around the time of his passing.