Drop Blogger into my New Smugmug?

ReignReign Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited August 30, 2016 in SmugMug Customization
I'm looking for an easy and lazy way to get my Blogger onto the new Smugmug.

Is there a content block or some code I can drop into the main body of my new Smugmug to retrieve updates from Blogger? Would like to keep Blogger since they have some basic viewer infometrics.

Thanks,
N
www.nathantpham.com (your comments and suggestions are welcomed)

Comments

• Smug EricSmug Eric Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 333
    edited February 17, 2014
    Well, the easiest option would be to just add a link to your blogger page in your nav bar. There isn't a simple way to embed blogger in one of your pages, but directing your visitors to the page is a relatively simple matter.
    Eric
    Support Hero and Customeister
    http://www.smugmug.com/help
  • DanCarl97DanCarl97 Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2014
    You may be able to add the RSS feed of your blog (if it has one) by using the Feed content block, but I've had a lot of difficulty with it. I'm not even sure if it goes any wider than 300px.
  • SergeBerrardVisualsSergeBerrardVisuals Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2014
    Reign,
    you can see an example of SmugEric proposal on my site.
    Blogger can be opened in a new tab (my choice) or not, you just have to indicate your preference when adding the Blogger link in your Smugmug nav bar/links customization.
  • ReignReign Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2014
    Thanks. That's similar to what I had before... but was hoping for something a bit more seamless. With old Smugmug, I was at least able to make the template identical to my smugsite. I didn't want to start over and create a new template... plus, if I add more navigation options, I'm not sure how easily I would be able to edit the blogger template. Blogger certainly wouldn't allow me to use some of the transparent menu Smugmug templates where you can see an underlying photo.
    www.nathantpham.com (your comments and suggestions are welcomed)
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 19, 2014
    Reign wrote: »
    Thanks. That's similar to what I had before... but was hoping for something a bit more seamless. With old Smugmug, I was at least able to make the template identical to my smugsite. I didn't want to start over and create a new template...
    If you don't want to do the work to match your blog to your site I think you have two options. One was suggested above, just make the sites different and link between them. Make them look like they belong together by use of color and logo.

The other option would be to use a feed link. Grab a feed from your blog, then place a Feed content element on your page. You can find that in the Social section.

--- Denise
  • markderrymarkderry Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2014
    Denise, That worked like a charm!! To fix the problem with the width just go to the display options on the feed content block and under "Width Type" change it to "Fluid".

Here is the finished product: http://www.markderry.com/Pages/Blog/
    edited February 20, 2014
    Blog integrated
    Mark, I love how you integrated your blog on your site!!!! How do you go about getting the "Feed" to integrate the blog?
    "Art is Man's nature. Nature is God's art" ~ James Bailey
    [/url]http://www.imagesbyaileen.com
    www.castleriversphotography.blogspot.com
    edited February 20, 2014
    MrsCastle wrote: »
    Mark, I love how you integrated your blog on your site!!!! How do you go about getting the "Feed" to integrate the blog?
    See https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/97933?hl=en for information on blogger feeds.

Take the feed you want to use and place it in a feeds content block on your smug site, screen shot is in this post earlier in the thread.

--- Denise
  • MrsCastleMrsCastle Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2014
    Thank you Denise, I'll give it a try. Hope it works!
    edited February 21, 2014
    Just like Denise said follow the instructions to hook up your blog, I also do some html work on the blogger side so that each post turns out how I want it. This is what my blogger site looks like: http://markderryphotography.blogspot.ca
    edited February 23, 2014
    I love your blog. I don't know anything about HTML, so I won't be able to do it. :(
    edited February 23, 2014
    I love your blog. I don't know anything about HTML, so I won't be able to do it. :(
    You don't need to know HTML to use a feed from blogger.

--- Denise
    edited February 23, 2014
    Hi Denise,

I would love to integrate my blog the way Mark did. It looks likes its actually part of the page. How do I go about doing that? I tried following your instructions and it didn't work out for me. :(
    edited February 23, 2014
    I would love to integrate my blog the way Mark did. It looks likes its actually part of the page. How do I go about doing that? I tried following your instructions and it didn't work out for me. :(
    You get a feed URL from blogger. Then you create a page and drag a feed content element into it.

What do you mean "it didn't work out" for you. Exactly what did you do?
    If you want help, post a link to the page you created.

--- Denise
  • MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2014
    OK, I have a silly question about blogs and integration with smugmug.
    What would be the difference between a blog feed, and just a journal type gallery collecting images from other galleries to write about?
    edited February 23, 2014
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    OK, I have a silly question about blogs and integration with smugmug.
    What would be the difference between a blog feed, and just a journal type gallery collecting images from other galleries to write about?
    If you only want to share photos a journal type gallery would work. If you plan to write, I don't feel a journal gallery works well. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

--- Denise
    edited February 23, 2014
    Can you get the comments to follow the rss feed? My comments are not showing.
    edited February 23, 2014
    I want to write a little something about the pictures.
    edited February 24, 2014
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    Can you get the comments to follow the rss feed? My comments are not showing.
    I don't know. Have you tried the RSS feed labeled as "full"? I believe if you have hooked your blog to Google+ that the comments are G+ posts linked from the blog entry. Not sure though...

--- Denise
    edited February 24, 2014
    I want to write a little something about the pictures.
    In what context? Are you asking about a blog? If you are then you would need to include the photos in your blog post as well as some text. If you are just asking about writing something about individual photos have you considered using captions in SmugMug?

I'm a bit confused by your questions since you already have a blog linked from the navbar in your smug site. Are you looking to change the blog? Please describe what you are trying to do. Saying you want to write about your pictures says little about what you are trying to accomplish and how you want to do that.

--- Denise
    edited February 24, 2014
    Yes, I have hooked the comments to G+. Perhaps that is why they are not showing.
    edited February 26, 2014
    I don't believe that the comments can be put in because the way the feed is generated it pushes out the blog post when you write it. Comments come after and as such are not part of the feed when it is pushed.
    edited April 7, 2014
    markderry wrote: »
    To fix the problem with the width just go to the display options on the feed content block and under "Width Type" change it to "Fluid".

Holy smokes! How'd I miss that?!? Is that something that was added a few months after the initial release of the new SM? I'd experimented with using feeds to create pages, but was frustrated by the fixed display! Now I can go back an try some things again! Thanks!
  • rsirotarsirota Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2014
    I noticed that while doing this (adding the feed) to my SM page it asks for the number of pages (articles) to be displayed. I want to display 1 blog post per page and be able to go to the next blog post from within my SM site. It does not look like you can do this... In looking at others who have embedded feeds into their SM site they must have the pages set very hight and you screll forever.. Is there a way to display a single blog post and show the next previous post buttons?
    Rob Sirota
    Web: www.robsirotaphotography.comwww.k9-pix.comwww.rsirota.com
    Nikon... All Nikon (D4/D810/Dƒ)
    ... OK I do have a PhaseOne 645DF+ w/IQ250
    edited April 12, 2014
    rsirota wrote: »
    I noticed that while doing this (adding the feed) to my SM page it asks for the number of pages (articles) to be displayed. I want to display 1 blog post per page and be able to go to the next blog post from within my SM site. It does not look like you can do this... In looking at others who have embedded feeds into their SM site they must have the pages set very hight and you screll forever.. Is there a way to display a single blog post and show the next previous post buttons?
    I'm not aware of a way to do that using a feed. It appears to me that a feed can only show the specified number of current posts; it removes the ability for the viewer to choose what to view within the blog. If you want your viewer to be able to peruse your blog based on their interests I don't think a feed will meet those needs.

--- Denise
    edited April 12, 2014
    markderry wrote: »
    I don't believe that the comments can be put in because the way the feed is generated it pushes out the blog post when you write it. Comments come after and as such are not part of the feed when it is pushed.
    Blogger provides a separate feed for comments. See available feeds at https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/97933?hl=en.

--- Denise
  • maiwyckmaiwyck Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited February 29, 2016
    Height and width out of wack on blog feed...
    Blogger provides a separate feed for comments. See available feeds at https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/97933?hl=en.

--- Denise

Is there a way to fix this? My blog is feeding to a SM page but it's all wackadoo! Dimensions are way off and some images are not loading at all. I have it set to 'fluid'

Here's the blog feed page:
    http://www.mairichisholm.com/Blog

Original blog is at:
    http://mcdesignboards.com/

Thanks in advance!
    -m
  • TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2016
    It looks like the photo you embedded is way too big at 2400 x 2888 px. With the custom page limited to a fixed width it appears that may be conflicting. Could you try a post with a regular sized photo and see if that makes a difference?
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited March 1, 2016
    maiwyck wrote: »
    Is there a way to fix this? My blog is feeding to a SM page but it's all wackadoo! Dimensions are way off and some images are not loading at all. I have it set to 'fluid'
    Teach wrote: »
    It looks like the photo you embedded is way too big at 2400 x 2888 px. With the custom page limited to a fixed width it appears that may be conflicting. Could you try a post with a regular sized photo and see if that makes a difference?
    As a sanity check I added a feed from my blog (also on blogger) to a test page on my smug site. Both fixed and fluid widths look normal. For what it's worth, the photos on my blog use Medium for landscape-oriented photos and a custom size of 550x550 for portrait-oriented photos.

I think Heather is heading in the right direction; I would also recommend trying a smaller photo. You might also adjust the width on the Display tab of your feed content element.

--- Denise
  • maiwyckmaiwyck Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2016
    As a sanity check I added a feed from my blog (also on blogger) to a test page on my smug site. Both fixed and fluid widths look normal. For what it's worth, the photos on my blog use Medium for landscape-oriented photos and a custom size of 550x550 for portrait-oriented photos.

I think Heather is heading in the right direction; I would also recommend trying a smaller photo. You might also adjust the width on the Display tab of your feed content element.

--- Denise

Thanks! Custom resizing of the image worked BUT the images from the other posts aren't coming through at all. Those two posts have images from twitter posts...does it have to do with that? Any way to get them to show up?