Branded or 3rd party batteries plus crazy issues with some batteries

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Big grinsWisbech UKPosts: 0 Big grins
edited September 3, 2016 in Accessories
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited August 28, 2016
    Yes, there could be hidden camera damage from the automobile accident. But those symptoms may also be from moisture and resulting internal corrosion*.

An external (vertical) grip may also cause some of the issues you describe, generally relating to the internal connections. I suggest removing the external grip for the remainder of your tests.

First thing to try is a hard reset. Take the main battery out and turn on the camera. Leave it alone overnight. (8 hours or more.)

In the morning turn off the camera, reinstall the battery and check to see if the clock is reset. If the clock shows an invalid time, proceed to make sure that all personal settings have disappeared. If the camera seems back to factory settings then try your normal regimen of shooting to see if the battery holds charge.

If that doesn't work, with the camera off remove the main battery again and, with the battery door open, place the camera in front of a fan and with the battery door opened and toward the fan, in a low-humidity room (air-conditioned or at least de-humidified). Leave the camera there for a full week.

After the week, try inserting a new and charged Canon battery again. If the battery shows signs of rapid discharge remove it immediately. Rapid discharge can run a battery below its ability to recover, ruining the battery (which may have happened to some of your other batteries already).

The problem may also relate to the lens. A lens can also run down the camera battery if there is either moisture in the lens or damaged/corroded circuits in the lens. Try switching to a different lens which has not been subjected to wet conditions.

If the camera does not return to normal function after these remediations it may be time to get another camera.

*(Internal corrosion can occur slowly and well after initial exposure to moisture. Corrosion can also occur over time with repeated exposure to the elements.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Big grins Wisbech UKPosts: 0 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2016
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited August 28, 2016
    kateycat wrote: »
    ... with canons batteries, it was erratic with those too down to just 500 shots ish, battery is a year old just gone so it shouldn't be fading that bad.

From your statement above it appears that the camera problems relate to the use of either Canon batteries or third-party batteries. If so, batteries are not the primary cause of the other problems.

As I said, internal damage, possibly corrosion, is likely causing the camera to rapid discharge. Corrosion may not be visible even upon visual inspection by authorized repair persons.

Please do try the things I suggested and in the order suggested.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 28, 2016
    edited August 29, 2016
    edited September 2, 2016
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2016
    kateycat wrote: »

Any 7d mk2 owners better be warned with cheaper batteries, they don't have any grunt to run such a powerful camera. if they start seeing shot taking drop and keep dropping the dc/dc may be on it's way out.

https://kj-photography.smugmug.com/

Can't speak for other 7Dm2 users, but I've been using mine with a non Canon battery for well over a year without problems.

Initially i kept track of the frame count with each batt to compare performance - most with the 3rd party batt was around 750+ iirc.

Almost all use is with a 500 f4 (mk1) in servo mode, btw ...

pp
    edited September 3, 2016