Mini-Challenge #228: a rose is a rose RESULTS

sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
edited June 25, 2016 in The Dgrin Challenges
Man, oh, man was this difficult to judge!! The entries were very fine and it was not at all easy to make up my mind. But decisions must be made, so here it is...

Lots of Honorable Mentions:

GrandmaR
I love the simplicity of this one.
IMG_3966.JPG

Cavalier
Jo, the raindrops make this very special. I thought that both this picture and the first of the three could have been cropped more closely to bring out the rose as the subject.

IMG_2206%20Tadj%20hi%20pass%20bw-X2.jpg

jwear
I'll say the same thing to you as to Jo - my personal preference for the rosebud shots is to have more bud and less leaves in the picture. I love the colors and light here.
attachment.php?attachmentid=40559&stc=1&d=1465779111

Eric
I really liked the way you told a story here. Nature at work in perfection/imperfection. I also liked your ruffled rose a lot.

Mini%20Lifecycle-XL.jpg

Jerrodmyth
First of all, welcome to the challenges! I liked this one, but feel that it's in need of some cropping in order to bring the rose more to the forefront.

attachment.php?attachmentid=40562&stc=1&d=1465872392

So now to the winners...

3rd Place: slpollett
Sherry, Loved the focus, the lighting and the colors of this one although I might have tried to frame it differently or flip it so that the opening of the flower points towards rather than away from the viewer.
P7215195%20%282%29-1-L.jpg

2nd Place: Travelways

Tatiana, this was my fave of your three wonderful entries. The red rose against the blue sky is striking. My one very very slight critique is that I wish that the rose were either completely centered in the frame or more off-center.

spanish-red-rose-XL.jpg

and the winner is...

1st Place: pegelli
Pieter, all three of your entries were exactly what I was looking for in terms of subject and composition. For me though, this one shone through with clarity, excellent composition and lovely soft lighting.

PEG_A850_00297_20100612_2.jpgFull Size

So Pieter, the ball is in your court - looking forward to the next challenge!

--- Sara

Comments

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2016
    Thank you Sara for the 2nd place :)

.... and once again, Pieter: WOW and Congratulations! clap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited June 23, 2016
    Congratulations everyone! Lovely shots!
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2016
    Congratulations to Sherry, Tatiana and Pieter. Looking forward to the next one Pieter!
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2016
    Nice work everyone, and props to all the winners!!!
    Pieter's was easily the winner... knew it when I first saw it... Bravo Pieter!!

Thanks for being such a great challenge host Sara!
    Here's a rose just for you... wave.gif
    Serendipity-L.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2016
    Eric, thanks for the beautiful rose! That is actually my very favorite color combination, yellow with red tips. bowdown.gif
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2016
    Congrats to the HM's, Sherry and Tatiana. When I saw the overall quality everybody could have been a winner so I'm very honored that my wild rose came out on top.
    Thanks Sara for the fine subject and judging. I guess the judging must have been the hardest part this time.

I'll put on my thinking cap for the next mini-challenge. Since we're celebrating my better half's birthday this weekend with a house full of guests it will be Monday or Tuesday next week before I can put something up. I hope that's not a problem headscratch.gif
    Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2016
    Congratulations to everyone and especially to sarasphotos for the topic and the helpful comments on the entries
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2016
    Congrats to all, I was surprised to see my shot ,thanks you for the nice comment .
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/