A few scenes from Colonial Williamsburg

Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
edited August 12, 2015 in Street and Documentary
A few pics from a morning walk down Duke of Gloucester St. in Colonial Williamsburg Virginia

18575878900_10788485b6_b.jpgUntitled by c w, on Flickr

16020855645_1603ee18ac_b.jpg

16019302212_3ca2aa27c2_b.jpg

16304310300_7a3c56c865_b.jpg

14676489139_5dcfda4195_b.jpg

15989453016_4ae69fb86c_b.jpg

Comments

• AddiebeeAddiebee Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2015
    #2 and the last one are my favorites, especially the last one. Between the smoke, movement and his concentration, it's not just a shot, but an experience.
    Addie
    http://addiebee.smugmug.com/
    "Hang on to your dreams with everything you got. Because the best life is when your dreams come true. The second-best is when they don't but you never stop chasing them." ~ Tim Dorsey
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2015
    Here is my honest take. I always find that photos from reenactments are not truly documentary pics. It's like going to the theatre to shoot. Having said that, I think the expression of the woman in #4 is great, she could be the model for a Modigliani painting. The last one is good as it shows good action, the depth of field with the blurred woman in the background is very nice.
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2015
    Shot #6 is excellent. thumb.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited May 30, 2015
    #5 - nice portrait! #6 - that black smith shop is very difficult to expose a shot in. You did good.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    Here is my honest take. I always find that photos from reenactments are not truly documentary pics. It's like going to the theatre to shoot. Having said that, I think the expression of the woman in #4 is great, she could be the model for a Modigliani painting. The last one is good as it shows good action, the depth of field with the blurred woman in the background is very nice.

right, it's more like 17th century documentary
    (time travel documentary)
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 15, 2015
    I like the first and last. thumb.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited June 15, 2015
    I like these images a lot, Brett.

I do wish the woman in the first image was in sharp focus though....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 23, 2015
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I like these images a lot, Brett.

I do wish the woman in the first image was in sharp focus though....

I was holding the camera with one hand below the ropes to get that shot !

a little higher with two hands ~

18670380070_6b60c06fa7_b.jpgUntitled by c w, on Flickr
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2015
    I really like #2. A lovely portrait with great use of the natural light.

Very realistic lighting there since they didn't have flashes for their cameras back then. mwink.gif
    edited June 26, 2015
    I'm relatively certain the blacksmith pictured is Ken Schwarz. He is a master blacksmith and has been at Colonial Williamsburg in the blacksmith's shop now for 32 years! He's an incredible fund of knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnOCdCcCLZQ
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

edited June 27, 2015
    This is Ken. He wasn't wearing glasses in the video.

http://www.davidwattsphotography.com/Vacation/Williamsburg-VA-2014/i-TWtB6P8/A
    My Smugmug
    edited June 27, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    This is Ken. He wasn't wearing glasses in the video.

http://www.davidwattsphotography.com/Vacation/Williamsburg-VA-2014/i-TWtB6P8/A

Thank you David! Great pictures!! I volunteer at Colonial Williamsburg and Ken is a legend in these parts. Although I have been to his shop twice looking for him, I've not had the pleasure of meeting him as of yet!

edited June 29, 2015
    Thank you David! Great pictures!! I volunteer at Colonial Williamsburg and Ken is a legend in these parts. Although I have been to his shop twice looking for him, I've not had the pleasure of meeting him as of yet!

could be this guy at the CW Blacksmith's Shop (on the right)

18653456104_f019f80187_b.jpgUntitled by c w, on Flickr
    edited June 29, 2015
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    could be this guy at the CW Blacksmith's Shop (on the right)

nod.gif
    My Smugmug
    edited June 30, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    nod.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

edited June 30, 2015
    I'm beginning to believe that this is the "we've all been to that same blacksmith shop and met Ken" thread. rolleyes1.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2015
    nice series, 1,2 and last are my favorite. Are they ordinary citizens or professional artists?
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited July 2, 2015
    nice series, 1,2 and last are my favorite. Are they ordinary citizens or professional artists?

Brett, hope you don't mind that I take this question as I work at Colonial Williamsburg as a volunteer.
    They are professional in every way. Initially hired as employees of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation they will serve an apprenticeship (probably what you see in the first picture) until they can become competent on their own in their respective shops and often will begin to train others. In addition professional artisans are hired to oversee shops as well. The products they produce can either be sold in the arts and crafts shops or used as tools for work within the Colonial Williamsburg area. The pitch fork you see being made in the blacksmith shop could very well be used on the Great Hopes Plantation site on the grounds to pitch hay or work the soil by other Colonial Williamsburg employees (reenactors).

The talents and knowledge that individual reenactors acquire over time can be truly incredible. As I mentioned earlier, Ken Schwarz has been in the blacksmith shop for 32 years! Colonial Williamsburg utilizes the products and tools produced in the various shops to build and maintain other buildings and gardens within the Colonial community to reproduce as accurately as possible a living 18th century community as it existed during that period in U.S. history. The extent to which the talents of curators, architectural historians, herbalists, gardeners, brick-masons, carpenters and historians employed by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation go to faithfully reproduce 18th century life at this sight is second to none!

"That the future may learn from the past"

edited July 4, 2015
    Brett, hope you don't mind that I take this question as I work at Colonial Williamsburg as a volunteer.
    They are professional in every way. Initially hired as employees of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation they will serve an apprenticeship (probably what you see in the first picture) until they can become competent on their own in their respective shops and often will begin to train others. In addition professional artisans are hired to oversee shops as well. The products they produce can either be sold in the arts and crafts shops or used as tools for work within the Colonial Williamsburg area. The pitch fork you see being made in the blacksmith shop could very well be used on the Great Hopes Plantation site on the grounds to pitch hay or work the soil by other Colonial Williamsburg employees (reenactors).

The talents and knowledge that individual reenactors acquire over time can be truly incredible. As I mentioned earlier, Ken Schwarz has been in the blacksmith shop for 32 years! Colonial Williamsburg utilizes the products and tools produced in the various shops to build and maintain other buildings and gardens within the Colonial community to reproduce as accurately as possible a living 18th century community as it existed during that period in U.S. history. The extent to which the talents of curators, architectural historians, herbalists, gardeners, brick-masons, carpenters and historians employed by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation go to faithfully reproduce 18th century life at this sight is second to none!

"That the future may learn from the past"

I'll add that Colonial Williamsburg also sells products to other museums and "Living History" places. There are examples in the Silversmith shop that would make Paul Revere envious!
    edited August 6, 2015
    I finally meet Ken Schwarz!

DSC_0303-8-XL.jpg

edited August 12, 2015
    I finally meet Ken Schwarz!

g[/IMG]

I think Ken was there every time I visited the Blacksmith's shop
    But I no longer have a annual pass so I probably won't be seeing Ken anymore

20486371706_d9692a3359_b.jpgUntitled by c w, on Flickr