Promo test shot

fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited August 5, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I was asked by the local Chamber to photograph their Directors Cruise this evening so my wife and I had a wonderful night out without the children. While we were waiting to board the boat, I saw this area of the hotel lobby, and felt the need to take this shot. It was a quick shot of the fireplace with no thought to composition. I would however like to be able to eventually do this in addition to some product photography I'm testing and maybe do some shots for this hotel to use in promotional materials they use.

I'd love to hear what your thoughts are on this shot, keeping in mind, I did not frame it for a final picture, I framed it for a quick shot. I'm looking for imput on lighting and exposure on this shot.

i-Qj3mrj9-M.jpg
Fred J Claus
Commercial Photographer
http://www.FredJClaus.com
http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout

Comments

• oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    My two cents: I would lose the on-camera flash (makes the image look cold and flat) and instead go with a tripod and a long enough exposure to give some warmth. HDR works really well for interior shots too. Just don't over do the processing....... you want the viewer to notice the subject without it screaming HDR!!.

That fireplace is pretty imposing in size. A wider angle lens to put it more in the background might help too.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    Fred,

Architectural photography is a discipline unto it's self. It's all about light, and angles. This image unfortunately is simply a photo. It conveys no warmth, no enticing feature, nothing that would say "wish I was there".

Also this image screams for some additional processing.

While it still doesn't do anything for me I did a quick edit.

Sam