Corrupted RAW Files Nikno D90 HELP!!!!!!!

BMW_StuBMW_Stu Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited February 20, 2010 in Cameras
i shoot with a d90. i bought it new, from the file #'s i think i have like 6,000 shutter clicks. i finally uploaded my pictures to my computer from my vacation im on and a bunch of my files are corrupted!!!!!. i can still click thru them and see them on camera but my computer will not open them. i tried opening with nikon capture and its the same deal. this is really pissing me off and this is the reason i got rid of my d70. can anyone give me a solution!
:dunno:hotfood

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited February 19, 2010
    BMW_Stu wrote:
    i shoot with a d90. i bought it new, from the file #'s i think i have like 6,000 shutter clicks. i finally uploaded my pictures to my computer from my vacation im on and a bunch of my files are corrupted!!!!!. i can still click thru them and see them on camera but my computer will not open them. i tried opening with nikon capture and its the same deal. this is really pissing me off and this is the reason i got rid of my d70. can anyone give me a solution!

If you are using a card reader and are having the same problems with files from 2 cameras i would suspect your card reader.

Have you tried another card reader?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BMW_StuBMW_Stu Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    i don't have another card reader at my disposal, my only other option would be to try using the usb cable when i get back in a little while. also...

ok, i think im on 2 something. i have a 16gb card, i think i used like 5gb and everything after that was corrupt. i erased some of the files and its working normal again. also, formatting the card on camera may fix the issue, but when i do that, my computer cant read it, so i have to format the card on my computer witch i know isnt good so i guess thats my fault. but i have taken more pix than that b4 and never had an issue, idk why its messing up now, and theres no way fro me to know if my camera is running correctly or not cuz its always gonna show me the preview. excited.gif WTF!!!!! I USE MY CAMERA 4 WORK!!!!! i cant afford for this to start happening! theres gotta b a way to recover a raw file. the info is there!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited February 19, 2010
    You may have to go to a W*Mart, K*Mart, Staples, ... whatever, and get a newer card reader to try. It does sound like the reader is the probable culprit.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited February 19, 2010
    i was able to rescue the corrupted raws by using edit and save in camera. its a bit tedious and i can only get jpegs but it works. i need 2 figure out what caused this so i can keep it from happening. im gonna buy a smaller sd card and ditch this non nikon battery
  • cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    I had an issue that was similar and Seymore is dead on. Some of my picture files were corrupt on the computer and it was taking longer than normal to offload them from the SD card. After updating everything it looks like the driver for the built in card reader was flawed. It all works great again now.

I am running Vista. A friend told me to run a virus scan, run a chkdsk and then update everything. It was free and worked.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    The sandisk RescuePro software works for my CF cards.
    Try to format the card in the camera only, the PC fomatted card cannot be read by the camera.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
    edited February 20, 2010
    heres a copy of part of the thread from my favorite BMW forum

^ my main speculation is that it has 2 do with how i formatted my card. i bought my computer in 2006 with windows xp. it could only read 4gb cards and smaller. larger cards are actually different. i found a beta driver on microsoft and i was able to use my built in reader only if i formatted the card on computer, otherwise i had 2 use a usb card reader.

also to re state, it was continuously corrupting files after a point, even video. I erased some photos to free up memory and everything started working again. thats what leads me 2 suspect the memory card/formatting. What throws me off is that i have taken more pictures once b4, same conditions and never had corrupting. it did make a bunch of weird folders on the card tho, i had 2 use a usb cable 2 get my pix off and it took over an hour. i guess theres a limit with my hardware the way i formatted.
    BMWolf wrote: »
    I have a Canon Rebel XT and I occasionally get corrupted files, but it seems random. I don't know if this will help your situation or not, but here is what I have found with my camera. From what I have been able to determine it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the memory card (CF on the XT).

What I think happens on my camera is that sometimes I am too quick to turn off the power on the camera and I shut it down while the camera is still writing to the card. Lately I have been more careful to just keep the power switch on and let the camera go to power saving mode or to just turn the camera around and wait until the lights go out which show the camera writing to the card. I just did some sightseeing around St. Louis a few weeks ago where I took about 300 photos and I didn't have one corrupted file despite turning the camera on and off all the time, using the same memory card I have had for 2 years, and taking RAW + JPG captures (longer write time).

As for repairing the corrupted files, I have found that different software handles corrupted files differently. Canon's DPP software doesn't deal well at all with the files. Picasa's browser/editor software strangely does a better job. On my corrupted files Picasa usually shows the errors to be toward the bottom right of the files so I can usually just crop the bottom off of the files and save to JPG and salvage something. I don't know how other software deals with these problems, but I would just say try a few different programs and see what you can make of them.

Hope this helps.

i do switch my camera off without thinking sometimes but i dont think that is my issue. Nikons will still handle the file untill its done, however i will always keep this in mind and its a very good tip, i'll definatly use it. i'll also download pikasa when i get home. i'm low on HD space now i have a lot of files 2 offload 2 my external
    cooh23 wrote: »
    i think what I suggested worked for him. Where he processed the RAW files from his camera and converted them into JPEG.

OP, I think it had to do with a memory card. Was your memory card new or have you used it before without a problem? I experienced a similar situation but what mine did was it would allow me to shoot a few pics and after a while it will just give me an error. Like I can't take any pics and save them in the memory card. This happened on a new card.

the jpeg is a quick fix (witch i am soooooooo greatful for bowdown.gif) but it dosn't address the problem

the card is not new, i have been using it without issues ever since i bought my camera. the only other time i had a problem, i was using the knockoff battery, it had 1 bar left, and it died out, the camera shut down and i turned it back on and kept shooting.

sunydude wrote: »
    I format my card all the time using the Camera format button and not had a single instance of corrupted files or computer not being able to read. I don't believe thats a problem.

Also try using a different SD card and see if that helps...

i think u read me wrong. you are supposed 2 format in camera. formatting in the computer is bad, refer to my first reply for a more detailed theory.

i also plan to ditch my no name spare battery and start shooting on 4 gb authentic SD cards and just use the 16gb off brand card in my car for Trance Music

dauble2k5 wrote: »
    like bmwolf said, are you allowing enough time for the camera to write the data to the card? i have a d80 it takes a second or two to write each image in raw format. if you're using the burst mode, it'll take even longer (a few seconds or so) to write all of the data.

what kind of card do you have? do you have a high speed card? san disk makes really nice cards, you may want to try using one of them.

as for how to fix a corrupt file ona computer.. to the best of my knowledge, there isn't a way, since you're missing some of the image data. can you open the raw files in Ps? if you're able to do that, then you may be able to save them as a PSD and work from there. i have a d80 and have only show in raw once and didn't have any problems. i just have a 4gb san disk ultra ii card, but it seems to be working well for me.

good luck with things, hopefully you get them figured out! have you taken your camera to a camera shop, like Robert's (local here in Indy, not sure if they're nationwide) and asked them?

i cant open it in photoshop, and i will b upgrading my crappy media first chance i get.

He said that he could "see them on his camera". Which believed me to think that he did not update Computer RAW on his PC. I've noticed a lot people don't normally update this plugin. The next step I would have suggested was the infamous formatting your camera with your computer... which you should not do. Always format cards in camera. The formatting on the computer will format to computer specs, and not according to camera manufactor. I've seen corrupt files on a lot of P&S cameras that this has happened to. ANd the main culprit is the user chose that "delete photos after downloading" pics options, or format camera thingy from your PC.

Since Nikon changed their file storage format, you can't just connect the camera and drag the photos off. I remember my D50 had the same problem as the OP. I avoided loosing my pics by just dragging from the HD icon that was mounted on my desktop. With the D90, D700, D300s, D3x you can't do that. The best thing to do is check to make sure your Camera RAw is updated, or B. try using a Card reader. C. look for software that recovers files.

After you've retrieve your photos, format your card in camera.

hmmm let me know. I can try installing the Sandisk recovery program on my PC. I've never used it cause that little-azz disk won't fit into my MBP. But i just remembered I have an adapter on my PC and Desktop G4 I can use.

yeah, like i said, i had 2 upgrade the camera raw stuff when i bought the camera, that's the first thing i did and 6,500 + photos later i've never had an issue till now

i was wondering why i couldn't drag and drop like i always did on my d70. i never had a CF reader. i thought it had 2 do with my computer hardware. it's highly annoying. i think i can drag and drop jpegs tho, its strange (and dumb) how it works