2011 Father and Son Spring Break Bugout

anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
edited May 15, 2011 in Journeys
Each and every year I take my son on a road trip during his spring break. Past years have included Utah & Northern AZ, six days in San Diego, NW New Mexico, and the Pacific Northwest. For 2011 we decided to return to New Mexico and hit several sites in the Western and Southern parts of the state.

Our original plans of spending two days in the Imperial Sand Dunes was canceled when my brother-in-law called and informed me his rail was broke and they were staying home. I did some more research and developed a new itinerary for our six day adventure.

Day 1-
We departed our home shortly after 7am on Saturday morning, an unusually late start for us, and made our way South of Tucson AZ to the Titan Missile Museum. The site, built in 1963, was an active Air Force missile site with an active 103 foot tall missile with a 9 Megaton W53 warhead up until 1982 when it was deactivated by President Ronald Reagan. The silo is underground with eight levels and underground passageways and walls as thick as eight feet.

1. Looking down at the missile from an observation deck
1229139403_kKUKm-L.jpg

After doing the hour long tour which included visiting the control center and walking through the underground passageways we grabbed a quick lunch before heading to New Mexico.

My son wanted to stop at all the road side attractions for moccasins, rocks, and fireworks. I finally agreed to a stop to visit 'The Thing'. We paid the $1 admittance and walked through three buildings containing old cars, equipment, and wood sculptures before standing directly over 'The Thing'. We grabbed a few drinks and told my son we are not buying fireworks because we cant use them where we are going and he already as a bunch at home.

Our journey continued to Silver City NM and then on to Mogollon NM. Mogollon NM was developed in the late 1800's in large part to successful mining of Gold and Silver. Several large buildings remain in good condition and are open for tourists during the warmer months. On our trip we happened to meet one of the locals which gave us some information on the town and the mines. He pointed to a large white rock and informed us there was about 20 ounces of silver in that rock if you knew how to extract it. The boy of course wanted to load that rock in the car and bring it home with us.

2. Mogollon, New Mexico
1229137732_foSMn-L-1.jpg

1229141612_oUWJp-L-1.jpg

1229137882_MJPeR-L-1.jpg

We headed back down into Glenwood NM looking for a place to eat. Of the two establishments in town one was still open. Over dinner i asked the locals about another near-bye attraction I was hoping to shoot during the super moon. My initial questions included how far is the hike, how difficult, and then moved on to my thoughts of shooting at night. The locals immediately informed me that was a very bad idea. They explained the area has a very high population of mountain lion, bobcat, and to top it off several foxes had recently tested positive for rabies. :huh I decided hiking the narrow canyon at night with my son was indeed a bad idea. We drove out to the canyon and settled into the front seats of the car for a restless, cold, and windy night.

Day 2

The super moon was indeed super bright which made it difficult to sleep and frustrating because I know the moon shots in the canyon would have been great. As day broke we strapped on the hiking boots and hit the trail in the canyon to our intended destination The Catwalk. The Catwalk is a trail that follows a water pipeline built in the 1890's to carry water to the town of Graham, NM.

1227565413_B8YfJ-L-2.jpg

6. One of the waterfalls along The Catwalk trail
1227564525_gvEVv-L-2.jpg

Video of the falls:
1230228479_2LDZy-M.jpg

1227564395_wVWhX-L-2.jpg

1227562861_GaUKS-L-2.jpg

The young protege working a few images (click for video)
1230227120_EwFhz-M.jpg
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    Day 2 (cont)

After a few hours along The Catwalk we the sun was getting too bright and we decided it was time to head out. Our Expedition Vehicle was going to be faced with a water crossing on our way out and I was concerned because I had not yet installed a snorkel. We approached the water crossing with some concern, surveyed the situation, and decided to just use the skinny pedal and go for it.

(click for video)
    1230918478_QBd5c-M.jpg

After successful navigating that challenge we headed down to Silver City and checked into our small one room cabin which would be our accommodations for the next two nights. We spoke with the locals to determine how we would spend the rest of the day. Our choices were the City of Rocks or Gila Cliff Dwellings. Judging the time of day and time to get out to the cliff dwellings we figured we had enough time to make the trip and explore the area for a couple hours. Turning onto Hwy 15 the US Forest Service has a sign stating the distance is 48 miles and the expected drive time is 2 hours due to mountain grades and curves. Luckily our Expedition Vehicle is equipped for these types of roads and we thundered up and down the mountains making the trip in exactly 65 minutes. We could have been sub 60 minutes if it weren't for two vehicles which took some time to pass on the narrow switchback road.

In record time we reached Gila Cliff Dwellings and hiked the mile long loop to the ruins and back.

9. Approaching the Cliff Dwellings
    1229139867_wuAoR-L-1.jpg

1229140388_wtQpV-L-1.jpg

1229141703_PFdLP-L-1.jpg

Just 1/3 of a mile down the road there is a picnic area with a short trail that leads to another two room ruin.

1229138302_WzM6Q-L-1.jpg

The time was approaching 5pm and as we would come to find out- everything closes early in New Mexico. We hopped back in the car and headed back to Silver City via Hwy 35 thus completing the scenic loop road to the ruins and back. As my son would say- that road was just like the roads in his Rally video game. We didn't jump the car but we did come pretty close.

Day 3

This was a designated rest day. There wasn't a whole lot more to see in the area and my son was still recovering from a minor surgery a week before. We visited the local shops and did our part to support the local economy. We got a good nights rest and prepared for day 4.

Day 4

Leaving Silver City early in the morning we made our way to Alamagordo and White Sands National Monument. We stopped in at the visitors center of the National Monument to pick up our back country permit only to find out no permits were being issued. Turns out the missile range had rescheduled a launch due to high winds the previous days and this meant the park would close at 8pm and no one could return until after 10am the next day. This was most disappointing as we were planning to camp in the dunes and get some night shots of the dunes lit by the moon. Making the best of it I purchased a sled from the gift shop and we hit the hills for some fun.

1230944719_DfMi9-L.jpg
    1230944834_4DnZg-L.jpg
    1230942485_94eDa-L.jpg

The wind had been blowing at a steady clip of 15 mph with gusts hitting 22mph.

14. The son using the disk as a shield from the blowing sand
    1230943119_N4Sb3-L.jpg
    1230943957_NuLFz-L.jpg

Taking some time to hike out into the dunes looking for some decent photography compositions the boy yelled out- "Dad. What this!"

1230931198_3cRhz-L.jpg
    1230931183_QPyYL-L.jpg
    1230940806_4yEuD-L.jpg

and as a dad.... I had to show him the old man still knew how to have a little fun as well

1230935676_wTykj-L.jpg
    (btw- the 16-35L USM is not a very good sports action lens)

Aaron Newman

edited March 28, 2011
    Day 4 (cont)

After filling our shoes with sand we ventured a little farther. He found a large dune to hide behind which blocked him from the wind and I found a few decent shots.

17. Blowing Sand
    1230231199_oeMwZ-L-1.jpg

18. Walking the line
    1230232338_Bda6q-L-1.jpg

1227834354_hzybZ-L-2.jpg

1227834168_xERxm-L-2.jpg

(Video of the wind and blowing sand)
    1230918329_GG8FB-M.jpg

After the water crossings, mountain passes, and now sand dunes we retrofitted our car into a true Expedition Vehicle. :D

1230251195_J4yPw-L-1.jpg

Day 5

After an unexpected expense of a hotel room in Alamogordo NM we awoke and headed up Hwy 82 to Cloudcroft, over to Artesia, and then to Carlsbad Caverns National Monument.

Carlsbad Caverns is a pretty amazing cave. We decided to do the walk down which descends 750 feet in 1 mile through the cave. It was a unique experience and made me wonder about the early explorers of the cave and the amount of work it took to create the path through the cave. We spent several hours in the cave and were some of the last people to leave.

22. One of the many switchbacks while descending into the cave
    1230228961_qMVYb-L-1.jpg

1230231258_pbBUS-L-1.jpg

1230229673_aVo3C-L-1.jpg

1227657721_j7ENf-L-2.jpg

1227657603_66jS2-L-2.jpg

Day 6

I had let the boy stay up the night before as I was hoping he would sleep a good portion of the drive home. Thanks to an early start and making good time he didn't wake up until we pulled into a gas station in El Paso Texas. The rest of the day was spent just making the long drive home and keeping the boy entertained through stories and road games.

We arrived back at the house just before 5pm on day six and spent the rest of the night and following day relaxing. In six days we had driven 1667 miles, hit three states, three National Parks, a ghost town, a missile museum, and a space museum (New Mexico Museum of Space History in Alamogordo, NM). We had to adjust our plans a few times but still had some great bonding time as father and son.

Aaron Newman

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    That is amazing :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited March 29, 2011
    Great trip and report, Aaron. The memories will last a lifetime. Mogollon looks like a very cool spot. So does Carlsbad. I guess they let you bring a tripod in there which is very cool.

That's some pretty gnarly off-road action with the company Honda. Don't let your boss see it. :giggle
  • 08whitex08whitex Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    Looks like a great time. Nice modifications to the Honda thumb.gif
    edited March 30, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Great trip and report, Aaron. The memories will last a lifetime. Mogollon looks like a very cool spot. So does Carlsbad. I guess they let you bring a tripod in there which is very cool.

That's some pretty gnarly off-road action with the company Honda. Don't let your boss see it. :giggle

Yes- tripods are allowed just have to be cautious about the rest of the people. Pretty tough shooting though. deal.gif

I am the boss of the car so no worries there. :D

Aaron Newman

edited March 30, 2011
    08whitex wrote: »
    Looks like a great time. Nice modifications to the Honda thumb.gif

rolleyes1.gif Thanks for the suggestions.

Aaron Newman

• FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    Great pics and great write-up. Your son will never forget the adventures you provide for him.
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    I love the action shots of your son on the sand dunes!
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    #19thumb.gif. Shouldn't that snorkel be on the roof instead of the hood?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    Great series Aaron. This one shot is really, really awesome though:
    1230232338_Bda6q-M-1.jpg

Hoping to do this with my kids when they are a bit older...
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    Great series Aaron! Looks to have been a great trip!
    edited May 7, 2011
    Cuong wrote: »
    #19thumb.gif. Shouldn't that snorkel be on the roof instead of the hood?

Cuong

rolleyes1.gif

Snorkel is for the air intake of the car not for our air intake.

Aaron Newman

edited May 7, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Great series Aaron. This one shot is really, really awesome though:
    1230232338_Bda6q-M-1.jpg

Hoping to do this with my kids when they are a bit older...

Not sure how old your kids are but don't wait. My son has been camping since he was 6 months old. We started these week long father son trips when he was 4 years old. deal.gif

Aaron Newman

edited May 7, 2011
    Froch wrote: »
    Great series Aaron! Looks to have been a great trip!

Thanks Froch. We try to make every trip a great trip. thumb.gif

Aaron Newman

• grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    Amazing series Aaron!!