Caution...HDR ahead!

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited August 30, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
Serenity

DSC_1012_3_4_5_6HDR-1-8-X2.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2015
    Fine shot! Did you shoot it without HDR also?
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2015
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Fine shot! Did you shoot it without HDR also?

Thanks Taz bowdown.gif, as always means a great deal for you to look at the pics. Yes I did shoot the scene without HDR. It doesn't look as vibrant. It was very low light on the boat hull and the dock lights look very dull. This is a combination of five exposures with 1.0 EV step differential. The shots were merged using Photomax Pro and the resulting HDR post processed in PS.
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Nice one, Wayne. Beautiful color.

Thanks as always, Jo. Much appreciated.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2015
    Looks pretty tight. While I can see the signature HDR softness (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), I definitely appreciate that I can NOT see weird halos around the individual contrasting subjects. For example, look at some real estate HDR work (found everywhere on the web) where the house has a weird halo around it against the sky.

Good work, in my opinion, not that mine really equates to much more than an ego stroke, which I'm happy to offer :)
    edited August 29, 2015
    Looks pretty tight. While I can see the signature HDR softness (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), I definitely appreciate that I can NOT see weird halos around the individual contrasting subjects. For example, look at some real estate HDR work (found everywhere on the web) where the house has a weird halo around it against the sky.

Good work, in my opinion, not that mine really equates to much more than an ego stroke, which I'm happy to offer :)

When an amateur such as myself gets a kind comment from a professional such as yourself, it is much more than a ego stroke JBR. It's an affirmation that maybe I am learning something here. For someone who post the beautiful pictures I've seen from you this means much much more. I assure you. Thanks! bowdown.gif

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2015
    I don't know how to properly thank you for such high compliments, but I'll take them with humble gratitude!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,908 moderator
    edited August 30, 2015
    Very nice image, Wayne thumb.gif. Without close examination, I wouldn't have known it was HDR, and I mean that as a compliment. Even looking closely the only giveaway is the green patch on the hull, which would need to be phosphorescent to glow in that light. OTOH, HDR worked to your advantage in the detail, rich colors, and most especially, not blowing out the moon and lamps in what must have been very low light. Well done.
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2015
    A beautiful image, well captured. Wonderful color and mood. thumb.gifthumb

I don't often think of the processing that goes into completing an image unless it stands out, as some over the top HDR work does, is underexposed, or blown out.

For me personally, if I view an image, and it moves me or gives me pause to think about the scene without wondering about the post-processing, then the photographer has been successful in capturing and presenting his view to me. Hope that makes sense.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
    edited August 30, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    Very nice image, Wayne thumb.gif. Without close examination, I wouldn't have known it was HDR, and I mean that as a compliment. Even looking closely the only giveaway is the green patch on the hull, which would need to be phosphorescent to glow in that light. OTOH, HDR worked to your advantage in the detail, rich colors, and most especially, not blowing out the moon and lamps in what must have been very low light. Well done.

Richard, your comments and advice are always eagerly anticipated! I actually tried to capture this as a "straight" shot but just couldn't get enough detail without destroying the sky. I even attempted taking two separately exposed shots but the result looked somewhat "schizophrenic" you might say. After the HDR results were taken from Photomatix, I took the moon from the darkest of the exposures, and did a "copy" and "paste" maneuver in PS. I was very interested in maintaining the true sky texture and colors but also bring out the dock lights and boat deck details. Always appreciate your input and thanks!
    Regards
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    A beautiful image, well captured. Wonderful color and mood. thumb.gifthumb

I don't often think of the processing that goes into completing an image unless it stands out, as some over the top HDR work does, is underexposed, or blown out.

For me personally, if I view an image, and it moves me or gives me pause to think about the scene without wondering about the post-processing, then the photographer has been successful in capturing and presenting his view to me. Hope that makes sense.

Phil

Phil, your thoughts are very much aligned with my own and are very well articulated. One of the great lessons I am attempting to learn by looking at your pictures bowdown.gifand that of many others here is the talent/art of taking the scene as was anticipated through the view finder and passing that same image accurately to another. Thanks again for you kind comments...as always!
    Regards

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2015
    Very nicely done, I really like the hdr toning here

That's not to undermine the excellence of the composition

Good work
    Rags
    edited August 30, 2015
    torags wrote: »
    Very nicely done, I really like the hdr toning here

That's not to undermine the excellence of the composition

Good work

Rags, thanks for providing input and the kind comments. Always much appreciated!
    Regards