Password attack

RobinFrenchFotoRobinFrenchFoto Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited August 31, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Smugmug have reported 20 sustained password attacks on my webite in the past week, does anyone know how I can block an IP address on my smugmug please. :ivar

Comments

• rnrjoshrnrjosh Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2015
    It's not possible to block certain IP addresses, sorry. That's also an ineffective way to deal with the problem, as the majority of people that use the internet don't have a static IP address anyway. Most IP addresses are dymanic, and can change frequently. Blocking a particular IP address could actually cause more harm than good, as if someone else gets assigned that blocked IP address, they wouldn't be able to view your site.

If you are receiving the emails about failed password attempts, and it appears the failures in question are from people trying to 'guess' at a gallery's password, it may be a better idea to make those galleries more secure. You might try making the galleries Unlisted, for example. Unlisted galleries are invisible on your site to visitors, though they can still be shared if you give someone a direct gallery link. Making your galleries unlisted will prevent them from even appearing for site visitors, which will help prevent unauthorized parties from attempting to guess at a gallery's password. There's also a Private Sharing option you may want to explore. I hope this helps!
    Josh
    SmugMug Support Hero