Queston on Step up ring + 77mm circular polarizer + Hood

tputs001tputs001 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited May 10, 2010 in Technique
Hi Guys,

My question is rather simple. I want to get a 77mm circular polarizer for my Nikon 18-200mm lens which is 72mm in diameter so it can also be used with my Nikon 12-24mm wide angle lens. My question is this, if I use a step up ring for my 72mm --> 77mm, will my 77mm lens hood be able to attach onto the 18-200mm with the step up ring? I already know that the 72mm hood won't be able too. Thanks! smile.gif

-Tom

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited May 9, 2010
    Does the Nikon lens hood screw in? Not if memory serves me.

Don't the Nikon lens hoods mount via a bayonet, not a filter thread? My last Nikon SLR was in the previous century, so I could be wrong about current Nikon lens hoods/lenses though.

When ever I use a filter via a step up ring, I always figure part of the price is giving up on the OEM lens hood. SOME of the rubber screw in variety will work, but are usually not suitable for an 18-200 zoom focal length variation.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • tputs001tputs001 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Does the Nikon lens hood screw in? Not if memory serves me.

Don't the Nikon lens hoods mount via a bayonet, not a filter thread? My last Nikon SLR was in the previous century, so I could be wrong about current Nikon lens hoods/lenses though.

When ever I use a filter via a step up ring, I always figure part of the price is giving up on the OEM lens hood. SOME of the rubber screw in variety will work, but are usually not suitable for an 18-200 zoom focal length variation.

Hi Pathfinder!

Thanks for your response. I believe that the lens hood do mount via a bayonet. I believe i found my answer and you are indeed correct that the 77mm hood from my 12-24mm wide angle will not work. I will look into those rubber hoods, but I'm not sure which one to get. There isn't one specific rubber hood that will work for all the focal length of the 18-200mm is there? ne_nau.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited May 10, 2010
    Nope. Sorry. Most rubber hoods are for normal or wide angle lenses only. I have not seen a petal shaped rubber lens hood
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin