New: Share Panel

12346»

Comments

• ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2015
    Is it possible some users don't yet have access to the new panel? What I see has no arrows for navigation, and the code has no lightbox option, and still only the actual photo or video .png or .mp4. Except I do see the BBCode... headscratch.gif
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited November 25, 2015
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    What I see has no arrows for navigation, and the code has no lightbox option,
    The arrows aren't on the panel - you need to use the left and right arrows on your keyboard.

The (top) photo link opens the photo in lightbox.

--- Denise
  • ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2015
    The arrows aren't on the panel - you need to use the left and right arrows on your keyboard.

The (top) photo link opens the photo in lightbox.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise! Silly me for looking for arrows. :D
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2015
    Thanks for the new share panel, I found it implemented this morning. What a nice surprise. Saves me a lot of work/keystrokes.

One little nit, in the old share panel the text to be copied was already selected so hitting ctrl C immediately copied it, while now you have to click it (to select) before hitting crtl C. Can the new panel be set up like the old one or does that lead to another set of different problems.
    Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited November 26, 2015
    pegelli wrote: »
    One little nit, in the old share panel the text to be copied was already selected so hitting ctrl C immediately copied it, while now you have to click it (to select) before hitting crtl C. Can the new panel be set up like the old one or does that lead to another set of different problems.

Now that there's multiple boxes, the interaction was a little weird, even more so on mobile, so we opted to go this route. We'll continue to tweak as we can to optimize the ease of use but we wanted to get this out to you as soon as possible and didn't want to delay all these improvements any longer :)
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
    edited November 26, 2015
    Aaron, no big deal, it's just one mouseclick. So if it can easily be done without "weird" interactions fine, otherwise just keep it as is, I don't want to create a lot of trouble for others over this.
    Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • kavekave Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 28, 2015
    Thank you for adding this back, any plans to make it work from iOS devices?
    I have tried to copy the link from an iPad pro and iPhone 6+ and it is nearly impossible to select the link text.
    Also, would like visible arrows back since iOS devices has no visible keyboard here.
    The app lacks the feature completely.
    edited November 28, 2015
    kave wrote: »
    any plans to make it work from iOS devices?
    I have tried to copy the link from an iPad pro and iPhone 6+ and it is nearly impossible to select the link text.

We tested this on a number of devices prior to shipping, and I've just looked again now, clicking once on the textbox, while on an mobile device, will automatically highlight it and bring up the "Copy", "Define", "Share..." iOS dialogue. It should definitely be working.

You can also click on the top portion of the panel (near "Share") and move it around on the screen. You'll then be able to click the lightbox arrow keys to go to the next/previous photo.
    dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • kavekave Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 29, 2015
    I got it marked yes, but long press didn't bring up copy paste etc, but pressing one of the blue handles in the corners brings up copy so now it works. Thank you for your support.
  • Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2015
    Mobile friendly rarely means browser friendly. I preferred having all the size listed with a "copy" button next to it. That empty space under "embed photos could be used for that.

And we don't change menus like we change cars. Menus don't "break". Different and newer doesn't mean better. Car makers don't move pedals and turn signals just to be different.
  • Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2015
    What's missing is a code to embed a small picture that opens to the largest size available (picture only, not on webpage)
    edited December 7, 2015
    Erick L wrote: »
    I preferred having all the size listed with a "copy" button next to it. That empty space under "embed photos could be used for that
    Unfortunately browsers do not offer the ability to copy things to the clipboard. We, along with many other websites, used Flash to add the "Copy" button, but now that flash is dying, there's no longer any way to copy to the clipboard without requiring you to use the keyboard shortcut.
    dGrin Afficionado
    edited December 22, 2015
    leftquark wrote: »
    Here's a little sneak preview of the Share Panel updates, including the addition of BBCode:

new_share_bbcode.png

P.S: I've merged all the Share Panel related threads into this one, so there's only 1 thread that needs to be updated for this discussion

Is it possible that you just reverted back to the panel without the "Embed Photo" function? At least I don't see it anymore headscratch.gif

It worked normally and fully showed earlier today
    Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2015
    The "Embed Photo" is only available when you are logged in, visitors do not see the "Embed Photo version.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited December 22, 2015
    What Allen said :) let me know if that doesn't fix things
    dGrin Afficionado
    edited December 22, 2015
    I'd suggest thinking about having the "Embed Photo" enabled for visitors if originals are available for a gallery.
    edited December 22, 2015
    You're right, I was logged out. Now the question is "how can that happen?". I'm always logged in with the "remember me" box ticked. I'haven't logged out or in for several days.

I support Allen's suggestion as well, makes a lot of sense.
    Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
    edited December 22, 2015
    You're right, I was logged out. Now the question is "how can that happen?". I'm always logged in with the "remember me" box ticked. I'haven't logged out or in for several days.

I support Allen's suggestion as well, makes a lot of sense.
    "Logged In" is saved in a browser cookie for a period of time. Perhaps your cookies got cleared?
    edited December 22, 2015
    Allen wrote: »
    I'd suggest thinking about having the "Embed Photo" enabled for visitors if originals are available for a gallery.

There's a part of me that's a huge fan of this but there's also a huge part of me that is hesitant. It's very easy for us, here on dgrin, to want to build SmugMug for the advanced user who understands how everything works. We have to build SmugMug, however, to be intuitive for every user. I think it would be very confusing to a new user to find all these different conditions for when something is shown: "if I have this setting set to <x>, then this random thing happens on the Share Panel. But if I have it set to <y>, then something else happens? Huh?" It's much easier to just say "Embed links only work this way" and makes sense to the user. It's also a security thing -- we don't want to assume for every user that they want to make it easy for their photos to be grabbed and spread. Yes, we could make a setting, but we don't want SmugMug to be a place of a billion settings that very few people understand or even use.
    As Allen mentioned, we leave you logged in for 30 days, unless the browser session is cleared or the cookie on your computer is destroyed. Sometimes quitting the browser or closing it can cause the session to end and sometimes it just vanishes for unknown reasons. Each browser handles the session differently and unfortunately we have no control over what they do :(
    dGrin Afficionado
    edited December 22, 2015
    leftquark wrote: »
    There's a part of me that's a huge fan of this but there's also a huge part of me that is hesitant....(
    I understand your thought.

I'm still a little confused as to how "download" works. This pertains only to galleries with originals
    enabled. There's a "download all" button and also a download icon under each main photo.

The setting in gallery settings I assumed handled the "download all" button. Originals enabled handled
    the "download" icon under each photo. Is my assumption correct?
    edited December 22, 2015
    I need to find the CSS to remove "download" from all the photos on mobile. They destroy their look by
    completely covering some thumbs. Actually all the buttons, share, buy, etc.
    edited December 22, 2015
    I'm still a little confused

If we confused you, imagine how most normal customers feel. We definitely want to simplify things a bit. Nobody is telling us SmugMug is too overly simplified and dumbed down; instead we get told how confusing and complex it is. I do appreciate that you understand, though :)
    I'm still a little confused as to how "download" works. This pertains only to galleries with originals
    enabled. There's a "download all" button and also a download icon under each main photo.

The setting in gallery settings I assumed handled the "download all" button. Originals enabled handled
    the "download" icon under each photo. Is my assumption correct?

Turning "Download Buttons" on, also enables the single photo download under each photo or on the info bar. There's been a lot of requests to separate these two but at this time they're still tied together.
    dGrin Afficionado
  • photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2015
    Allen - do you need any help with css for buttons? Pm me if you do .
    edited December 22, 2015
    photoclick wrote: »
    Allen - do you need any help with css for buttons? Pm me if you do .
    The Smug app is okay but the Safari browser mobile view shows large "download" over gallery thumbs.
    This is not seen with Screenfly as it just shrinks the view for iPhone.

As I can not see it on browser, "Inspect Element" can not be used to find class names to construct
    CSS. This is assuming Smug has unique class names in mobile view.
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2015
    The Smug app is okay but the Safari browser mobile view shows large "download" over gallery thumbs.
    This is not seen with Screenfly as it just shrinks the view for iPhone.

As I can not see it on browser, "Inspect Element" can not be used to find class names to construct
    CSS. This is assuming Smug has unique class names in mobile view.

I use a chrome extension called mobile browser emulator to be able to inspect mobile elements for customization. If you're describing the same download buttons that were driving me nuts, here's the code to get rid of them:

@media only screen and (max-width: 670px) {
    .sm-button-image-download {
    display:none;
    }
    }

Dave
    edited December 22, 2015
    Here's a shot.
    edited December 22, 2015
    pilotdave wrote: »
    I use a chrome extension called mobile browser emulator to be able to inspect mobile elements for customization. If you're describing the same download buttons that were driving me nuts, here's the code to get rid of them:

@media only screen and (max-width: 670px) {
    .sm-button-image-download {
    display:none;
    }
    }

Dave
    Added the CSS to "all galleries" and now see part of caption without the "download" overlay.
    Great! Thanks