Andy's Moving On from SmugMug

13»

Comments

• SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    McQ wrote: »
    I agree with you, Mitchell. I have had more than a couple of issues with SM service (I'm one of the very few who think it's not actually that good) and even when I wasn't being patient or when I was having problems, Andy was very patient and professional with me.

Oh, and I mainly think the customer service isn't that good because even though you get a response back REALLY quickly from the heroes, they don't really seem to do anything much more than supply a link to the Dgrin forums. You end up fixing the problem yourself. So what they're actually really good at is answering email fast, with very nice messages.
    My experience as well. I'm definitely going to miss Andy's hand in SM customer service. :cry
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    JohnR wrote: »
    Sorry to see you go Andy.

I gotta say, this is just too much of a coincidence. Andy announcing he's stepping down as COO (I had no idea that was your title) and now stepping down here. In the meantime, Smugmug announces increase in price. Say what you will, but I know that Smugmug didn't just decide to raise their price overnight...this was coming down the pike.

I wish that Andy could be more forthcoming in the exact reasons. I know when COO's leave, the real reason isn't known until a few years later...unless you are a VERY close friend.

There might be a confidentiality clause in effect also.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2012
    Yikes! I guess I never realized this till now. You, along with the other support heroes, have been such a wonderful help over the years to me and my customers. I will be sad to see you step down, but so happy to hear you will at least stick around Dgrin.

So thanks for all the fish! ..and might I add, Goodbye and HELLO!! thumb.gif
  • DezDez Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    I get the UK often, and I'll also be at Photokina in Cologne in just a couple of weeks deal.gif

Thanks!

Andy introduced us to Smugmug back in March this year at Focus on Imaging in the UK, we was sold following his sales pitch it was just what we needed for our business.
  • gblottergblotter Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2012
    Andy,

Although I continue to rely on SmugMug, my visits to dgrin have been infrequent lately. This news of your departure caught me by surprise. I still remember our interactions from way back - before you even worked for SmugMug. Your passion for photography and all Smug things was infectious. I'm sure that same passion will be part of your new pursuits as well.

My personality makes it hard for me to embrace change, but I did finally switch jobs recently after 25 years with my previous employer. The change reinvigorated my career and instilled in me a fresh and positive outlook about things completely unrelated to my job. In retrospect, I can see the change was a blessing and long overdue.

Hoping this change opens some new and unexpected opportunities for you.

-Greg
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    gblotter wrote: »
    Andy,

Although I continue to rely on SmugMug, my visits to dgrin have been infrequent lately. This news of your departure caught me by surprise. I still remember our interactions from way back - before you even worked for SmugMug. Your passion for photography and all Smug things was infectious. I'm sure that same passion will be part of your new pursuits as well.

My personality makes it hard for me to embrace change, but I did finally switch jobs recently after 25 years with my previous employer. The change reinvigorated my career and instilled in me a fresh and positive outlook about things completely unrelated to my job. In retrospect, I can see the change was a blessing and long overdue.

Hoping this change opens some new and unexpected opportunities for you.

-Greg

Greg! So nice to hear from you. Yeah, change is inevitable, eh? Thanks for the kind words, I can't tell you how much they mean to me!
  • I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    Andy, you have been the human face of a company that derived its perceived character from you above anyone else; and it was that character that set SM apart from the others. How they will retain that difference without you I don't know, but either way, you are someone who I would be please to buy a pint for if ever I get the chance.

Good luck with your new ventures mate, I wish you the very best:)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
    edited September 13, 2012
    I Simonius wrote: »
    Andy, you have been the human face of a company that derived its perceived character from you above anyone else; and it was that character that set SM apart from the others. How they will retain that difference without you I don't know, but either way, you are someone who I would be please to buy a pint for if ever I get the chance.

Good luck with your new ventures mate, I wish you the very best:)

Thanks mate! I will take you up on that pint one day, promise deal.gif1drink.gif
    Hi Folks, thanks for the well wishes :D

I've recently accepted a position at Athentech, Perfectly Clear to become their COO. I'll be working hard to spread the word to photographers and labs alike, "say NO! to tedious manual image correction, get Perfectly Clear results with one-click"..... and to my Workshops followers, don't worry, I'm continuing those (and adding more!) as well :D

Link to press release.
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    I've been thinking about getting Perfectly Clear for quite a while. Now that you are there it pushed me over the edge and I just ordered it.

I've recently accepted a position at Athentech, Perfectly Clear to become their COO. I'll be working hard to spread the word to photographers and labs alike, "say NO! to tedious manual image correction, get Perfectly Clear results with one-click"..... and to my Workshops followers, don't worry, I'm continuing those (and adding more!) as well :D

Link to press release.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    Congrats, Andy! That's one heck of a commute from NY though.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Congrats, Andy! That's one heck of a commute from NY though.

I'm staying right here deal.gif
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2012

Link to press release.
    Great news! I'm very impressed with the company's products too. I've actually been looking for something like this for years. wings.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2012

Link to press release
    And as the great Mr Bell once noted..
    “When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”

thumb.gif
    Congrats on the gig.
    Now I assume that Dgriners will be getting a discount..rolleyes1.gifrofl
    Gary
  • quagmire321quagmire321 Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited September 17, 2012
    Good luck
    Andy, I have been sorta in hibernation with Smugmug & Dgrin for the last couple of years and as soon as I came back, I see this.

You may not remember who I am but I remember who you are and that you have always been helpful.

So, here it is... good luck with whatever you will be doing in the future and thank you for all your help. thumb.gif
  • VichVich Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited September 24, 2012
    You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. One of those guys destined to succeed and bring along those around you, as you have done with DGRIN and Smugmug. Positive vibes and all that.

Cheers. It'll be nice to hear about your successes as they happen.
    Gear - 7D, 5Dii, many lenses , much stuff.
    edited September 28, 2012
    Vich wrote: »
    You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. One of those guys destined to succeed and bring along those around you, as you have done with DGRIN and Smugmug. Positive vibes and all that.

Cheers. It'll be nice to hear about your successes as they happen.

Vich, thanks so much! You made my day :D
    Andy, I have been sorta in hibernation with Smugmug & Dgrin for the last couple of years and as soon as I came back, I see this.

You may not remember who I am but I remember who you are and that you have always been helpful.

So, here it is... good luck with whatever you will be doing in the future and thank you for all your help. thumb.gif

Quag, I do remember you and thank you so very much for the kind words. I hope our paths cross again one day!
    Wayupthere wrote: »
    And as the great Mr Bell once noted..
    “When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”

thumb.gif
    Congrats on the gig.
    Now I assume that Dgriners will be getting a discount..rolleyes1.gifrofl
    Gary

YES you do! There's a sale going on right now in fact, the "AndyEffect" and plugins are 40% off - ends on Sunday 30th Sept though so hurry! http://www.athentech.com
    Congrats Andy!
    Looks exciting, wishing you the best!
    --Shawn
    Thanks Shawn, I hope that we stay in touch - thanks for the kind well-wishes!
  • RobertkRobertk Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2012
    On a properly exposed image it still ups the exposure. Should it do this?
    edited September 29, 2012
    Robertk wrote: »
    On a properly exposed image it still ups the exposure. Should it do this?

Shouldn't, email me andy at athentech and I'll be happy to work with you, I'd love to see the image thumb.gif

Here's an example I use, the left is orig and the right is our default preset, no change at all since the image is perfectly exposed and the color is bang-on.

20120929-rbmm1gknr2963r7gpnjwkbhfw7.jpg
    edited September 30, 2012
    Shouldn't, email me andy at athentech and I'll be happy to work with you, I'd love to see the image thumb.gif

Here's an example I use, the left is orig and the right is our default preset, no change at all since the image is perfectly exposed and the color is bang-on.

20120929-rbmm1gknr2963r7gpnjwkbhfw7.jpg

Ill try it again tomorrow. The photos have a black background. Should this have an effect?
    edited September 30, 2012
    Ill try it again tomorrow. The photos have a black background. Should this have an effect?

Email me. Thanks.
    edited October 2, 2012
    1 p1164100748-5.jpg

2 p1164100886-5.jpg

Just curious which one people prefer. Im trying to recreate the exposure issue now.
    edited October 2, 2012
    I intentionally overexposed the orginal and it still increased the exposure.

p1164142584-5.jpg
    edited October 2, 2012
    I intentionally overexposed the orginal and it still increased the exposure.

Robert, happy to help you - this is not the place though :) Email me.
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    Andy, I'm not around much these days but wanted to wish you the best.thumb.gif I remember when we both hung out at the sony forum in DPRVW. You have worked very hard and accomplished sooooo much! Thanks for your help over the years too. You have inspired so many.