First attempt at commercial photography..

MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
edited February 10, 2006 in Holy Macro
Last November I joined a collective of photographers that are sharing some studio space in Philadelphia.. In an attempt to make it pay for all of us who do not yet have paying photography jobs, we rent out space to other photographers as well. The person who actually rents the studio was a little frustrated with his attempts to photograph it in a way that would sell. So he asked the others in the collective to photograph it their way...

So this is sort of my first attempt at commercial photography...

Comments

• MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    another shot of a portrait studio
    another studio shot...
    edited February 9, 2006
    Portrait shot of a portrait studio
    Portrait oriented studio pic..
    edited February 9, 2006
    Last shot..
    I used the chair in the shot to add just a little splash of color to the studio..
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    put some people in there
    I used the chair in the shot to add just a little splash of color to the studio..

i think it would be more demonstrative if you had a shot of a photographer and model at work-this would help give some indication of the space etc and add some interest,as well as making it clear that its a dedicated photo studio space

good luck- looks to have good natural light and high ceilings
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
    edited February 9, 2006
    Yup...
    gtc wrote:
    i think it would be more demonstrative if you had a shot of a photographer and model at work-this would help give some indication of the space etc and add some interest,as well as making it clear that its a dedicated photo studio space

good luck- looks to have good natural light and high ceilings

I've already made that suggestion to the guy in charge of the collective. We're working on it.. Actually, my suggestion was for a different reason, which is to also include pics on our portrait services site to show some of us in action.. But that was also suggested in the process...

Yeah, the lighting is really good in there.. But we also have to shield it a little better for when we are using indoor/pro lighting.. Just to give us a little more control over our environment... The problem is, right now, none of us are in a position to throw money around... We got one cheesey little divider so we can split the studio among 2 people shooting at a time, and THAT ended up killing everyone's wallet. Most of the high end equipment in there is actually owned by one Photographer, and he is nice enough to let us use some of it..

Otherwise, my lighting consisted of...
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    I am curious, what does the collective charge monthly? I was thinking of "subleasing" or renting an empty house for the same purpose and curious what a reasonable rate to charge is.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos