Options

1st Wedding - Thanks for Your Help

lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
edited August 29, 2012 in Weddings
I posted some questions - use of flash etc. - about two weeks ago. All in all I think I did fairly well for first wedding. Comments welcome. Thanks to those who commented on my posting a few weeks ago - it was a big help. As Matthew said "practice, practice".

A lot like managing a one day project - now to convert my Excel spreadsheet for the day to MS Project Mgt. - well not really too time consuming.

Phil

20120804-Laurie-and-Nick-2686-XL.jpg

2 - Bride wanted photo of current local newspaper - I combined shot of ring and used comics.

20120804-Laurie-and-Nick-2699-XL.jpg

3 Bounce flash here.
20120804-Laurie-and-Nick-2760-XL.jpg

4 Found that the entry to the church to be the more difficult of shots - I used fill flash - I should have tried spot metering. Next time practice more.
20120804-Laurie-and-Nick-2775-XL.jpg

20120804-Laurie-and-Nick-2807-XL.jpg

6 - Cloned out the left post - need to work on that a little more.
20120804-Laurie-and-Nick-3009-XL.jpg

7 Born and raised in Michigan - so this is a big part of the day. 1999 Pontiac - Fantastic Condition
20120804-Laurie-and-Nick-3023-XL.jpg

8 Jimmy Johns - B&G wanted a few Post Ceremony Pics there.
20120804-Laurie-and-Nick-3051-XL.jpg
http://www.PhilsImaging.com
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
Phil

Comments

• Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    I'm not a professional nor a highly-skilled amateur, but...

#3, Some exposure to the bride's face would've made this better, IMO!
    #7, Exposed sky and the couple fill-flashed may have worked better? Sky is completely blown out..
    #8, Would've been nice if you could've gotten a bit of the groom's face while the bride was whispering(?) to him.
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2012
    babowc wrote: »
    I'm not a professional nor a highly-skilled amateur, but...

#3, Some exposure to the bride's face would've made this better, IMO!
    #7, Exposed sky and the couple fill-flashed may have worked better? Sky is completely blown out..
    #8, Would've been nice if you could've gotten a bit of the groom's face while the bride was whispering(?) to him.

All valid comments.

For number 7, I did use fill flash on many of those shots - not sure about that one. One thing I learned would be to doer fewer set post ceremony shots and have practiced more in advance. And to spend more time on each one.

Regarding number 8 - I posted 435 photos, so I guess it didn't bother me that neither face were in this photo. It was more of memory shot being at Jimmy Johns, which is where they wanted to go after the Post Ceremony photos at the church.

Thanks for your comments, Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2012
    #1 - Great detail shot, very clean
    #2 - Technically a good shot, but unless one of the comics in the paper is important to the couple, I'm not sure I would set up the shot this way. Instead, I might pick the title of the paper (e.g., here it's the Gainesville Sun) and frame the rings against that with the date if they just wanted a shot of the rings against the day's paper.
    #3 - Good moment here - I like how the reflection in the mirror shows another person that isn't otherwise in the shot, does a good job of telling a story. Looks like it needs a little tweaking to make it really great, but you're definitely getting the right moments :)
    #4 - Clean shot, but you're right about the flash - it's a tough situation that needs practice! I still need work on it myself :)
    #5 - Another clean shot, colors may need to be tweaked a bit, but very clean
    #6 - Looks good, traditional pose with even light. My only suggestion would be to put the veil over her front arm to hide her arm and the slight bulge on her back, but this is really a very subjective thing and self-consciousness about weight/size are really things that the photographer needs to glean about the client before the shooting ever begins.
    #7 - Looks awesome. I wouldn't worry about the sky since I know that the sky in the Great Lakes area can tend to be grey/white-ish rather than the lovely blue you find in other areas!
    #8 - I agree that the composition isn't the best here - is there a reason that you chose this one to share rather than some others from this series?

Good for a first wedding!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    MMcClainPhotoMMcClainPhoto Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2012
    Definitely not bad for your first wedding! Feedback- its traditional but if that's your style go with it:). My only eh thought would be number 8.. Back if head shots usually aren't favored well. Keep it up and welcome to the world of weddings:)
    Great Photography Is All About the Light!
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2012
    #2 is a little dark and over saturated for my taste. Love the one with the car!
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2012
    not bad for your first! I don't get the last one though. #7 is my favorite.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2012
    lilmomma wrote: »
    not bad for your first! I don't get the last one though. #7 is my favorite.

That one has a little background to it. I had found online a series of ways to get couples to be comfortable in front of a camera - one was to ask the Bride or Groom to take a sniff of the husband's or wife's neck. So, when I saw the smell sign, it was a good mix. I should have had the bride and or groom facing the camera, although since the B&G asked to go to Jimmy Johns afterward it just seemed right to capture as it is. Next time I would take multiple poses.

Thanks to all for your comments. Sorry about late response as I am shopping for a few lenses.

20120804-Laurie-and-Nick-3051-XL.jpg

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    I am digging your 2 detail shots.6 and 7 are okay as well. others have some issues but not bad for the 1st time out!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    I think u did really well for the 1st time ! good job!
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2012
    coolpinsky wrote: »
    I think u did really well for the 1st time ! good job!

Thanks - appreciate it much. I learned a good amount. One critical thing I learned is to limit the number of post ceremony poses and know the exact amount of time available. I ended up trying to do too much, when I think I would have been better served arranging shots and lighting more. Live and learn.

Phil
    Phil