Options

Bride Drowns During 'Trash the Dress' Photo Shoot

CrewdCrewd Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited October 4, 2012 in Weddings
Bride Drowns During 'Trash the Dress' Photo Shoot -- Dress Drags Her Under Water

Story

Seriously? Well this is something to keep in mind.

Comments

• Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    I saw this the other day. I can't even imagine. Is it possible that the family could sue the photographer for something like this? I really don't know the legalities behind this. I never really thought about that ever happening on a shoot and I hope it never does!
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    I saw this the other day. I can't even imagine. Is it possible that the family could sue the photographer for something like this? I really don't know the legalities behind this. I never really thought about that ever happening on a shoot and I hope it never does!

This happened in Canada and I don't think the Canadians are as litigious as Americans. Here in America they would be suing the photographer, the park service, camera manufacturer, the dress maker you name it.

The bottom line here is it's a horrible tragedy. From reading the article it seems as though the bride wanted to participate and no one anticipated the strength of the current or the weight of the water soaked dress. In hind sight maybe one could claim negligence but it really sounds like a bunch of regular nice people not understanding nature.

Just very sad.........................................

That said, here in the US I have a million dollar liability policy.

Sam
  • Options
    CrewdCrewd Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    Yeah, and probably time to add a health waiver to the contracts for when my subjects are doing anything more dangerous than walking. Wow.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    How devastating!! I mean, who cares about litigation. I bet the photographer is a mess anyway! I know I would be... I never had a bride that didn't become a friend.
  • Options
    MMcClainPhotoMMcClainPhoto Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    Crewd wrote: »
    Bride Drowns During 'Trash the Dress' Photo Shoot -- Dress Drags Her Under Water

Story

Seriously? Well this is something to keep in mind.

How terrible and some of the comments made by people on the news site are absurd! Totally agree with above poster.. Million dollar liability yea indeed, however if this happened I'm not sure I would be able to shoot again and have the same love for it.
    Great Photography Is All About the Light!
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    I've been wondering about this aspect of trash the dress sessions. I absolutely love the idea, but I would be so worried about something like that.

as someone who can hardly stay afloat unless he's in a life jacket, it fascinates me that people manage to swim/dive in something as big as wedding dress. It is a terrible tragedy what happened to the bride.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    MMcClainPhotoMMcClainPhoto Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    Foques wrote: »
    I've been wondering about this aspect of trash the dress sessions. I absolutely love the idea, but I would be so worried about something like that.

as someone who can hardly stay afloat unless he's in a life jacket, it fascinates me that people manage to swim/dive in something as big as wedding dress. It is a terrible tragedy what happened to the bride.

They're a lot of fun for both photographer and bride but you definitely need to be on your toes of taking her in the water or anything trip hazard wise. I've only had a few but I don't take the girls farther than ankle to knee height water.
    Great Photography Is All About the Light!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    How terrible and some of the comments made by people on the news site are absurd! Totally agree with above poster.. Million dollar liability yea indeed, however if this happened I'm not sure I would be able to shoot again and have the same love for it.

The million dollar liability policy would never make up for something like this, and hopefully no one thought that I suggested it would. Personally I would be devastated beyond belief.

I mentioned it because this story does remind us to be extra careful when working with clients and that the unexpected can happen in an instant. An insurance policy can remedy a much lesser accident without losing the house.

Sam
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    Just goes to show the force of moving water. 8.6 pounds per gallon. I have no idea how many gallons a wedding dress can soak up, but I do know that as a backpacker, whenever you cross a stream or any other kind of moving water, you unfasten the waist belt on your pack so as to be able to escape it in the event of a fall or slip. More than one backpacker has wound up in serious trouble for not heeding this advice. Unfortunately, there is no such easy way out of a wedding dress. Perhaps trash the dress sessions should involve a number of helpers to ensure safety... Either way it's a terrible tragedy.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    So unfortunate... you can never underestimate the power of mother nature.
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2012
    WOW! That just terribly sad. My goodness!
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2012
    It's a travesty.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2012
    so tragic people always underestimate the power of moving water. Here in AZ we need to be wary of flash floods even when the sun is shining where YOU are. Only takes about 2 inches or so to knock someone off their feet. Moving water is nothing to mess with. so so tragic, no matter how the idea came about I don't know how I could live with myself not to mention ever pick up another camera.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    In the desert, far more people die from drowning than from thirst.........
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    MGRPhotoMGRPhoto Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    I agree with most people here in that this was a devastating travesty. Did anyone read the comments on the article though? wtf. Pretty much every comment is basically that she deserved to die for trashing a dress. What a bunch of low life morons.
  • Options
    marcusrichphotomarcusrichphoto Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2012
    MGRPhoto wrote: »
    I agree with most people here in that this was a devastating travesty. Did anyone read the comments on the article though? wtf. Pretty much every comment is basically that she deserved to die for trashing a dress. What a bunch of low life morons.

Agreed, most of the comments are completely beyond belief. How sad.
    Marcus.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!

My website: http://www.marcusrichphotography.com
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2012
    About a month ago, I was reading of a bride in Canada, that fell from a cliff, doing a pre wedding shoot. Several days before her wedding, and immediately thought OMG. She fell 400 feet to her death. I can only imagine the devastation to all involved. Condolences out to the family in both these cases. Guys be carefull out there please.
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    This happened in Canada and I don't think the Canadians are as litigious as Americans. Here in America they would be suing the photographer, the park service, camera manufacturer, the dress maker you name it.

NO ONE jumps on the litigation bandwagon as fast as Americans. rolleyes1.gif

I saw mention of this on another site and the comments from shooters were typical of this mentality.
    The greater majority could not seem to accept that accidents happen, it always had to be someone's fault ( Other than the bride who couldn't be sued for any mistake she may have made) and they should have to pay.

Of course everyone was out gunning for the shooter with some turds saying that the shooter was negligent for not having a trained lifeguard at the shoot. I spose if there was one and nature still got the better of the bride then the same morons would then clam the shooter was at fault for not having 2 lifeguards or a couple of diver and a rescue chopper hovering overhead the whole time or what ever other far fetched load of crap they could come up with.
    It's clear that these sad people that want to sue will find fault in everything no matter how many precautions are taken.

Also makes me wonder if these people remotely follow their own advise how they ever get a thing done in life. They would be too busy stuffing around trying to cover all the unlikely scenarios to actually get the job done. I wonder if they would deem themselves to be at fault and due to pay compensation when something they did not forsee still went wrong?

I have to say, this mentality that people have that makes them comment on every little situation about being sued is as annoying as it is stupid. Do Americans really go round worrying about being sued for every single thing they do or is it just another moronic forum mentality that is always talked about but practical occourance bears no resemblance to the lip endless warnings and bleatings?

The bottom line here is it's a horrible tragedy. From reading the article it seems as though the bride wanted to participate and no one anticipated the strength of the current or the weight of the water soaked dress. In hind sight maybe one could claim negligence but it really sounds like a bunch of regular nice people not understanding nature.

Just very sad.........................................

EXACTLY!!

Sometimes bad things happen when it's nobodys fault or they could not be expected to reasonable forsee every single unfortunate possibility.
    Trying to screw money out of people when someone has died and lawyers concocting far fetched blame that was not reasonable to forsee or prevent is sickening and disrespects those that have been lost.
    I have lost a Mother and a brother in accidents so I know bloody well that putting blame and making a drama for years out of it is not going to bring them back.

I was also paid compensation money for my mothers death because it happened at work.
    There is no joy in receiving that money and knowing where it came from no matter what the amount. You buy something with it and it just serves to remind you of what you have lost. Unless you are a greedy, selfish mongeral that puts money before your loved ones and therefore shouldn't get any advantage from the situation, money will never be any sort of compensation for loosing someone.

That said, here in the US I have a million dollar liability policy.

HAha!
    Ironic.

I have $10M liability policy.
    That's standard here now on Oz. $5m is the minimum but when you work public venues, most want $10M. They won't even let you display your work in a shopping centre without a $10M policy.

One local council here a contractor mate was bidding on work for, wanted a $20M policy on his VEHICLE.
    When he questioned it, the reasoning given was that he might crash his vehicle into a council building and cause it to need to be reconstructed.

He asked if this still applied given the fact he drove an ordinary station wagon as a work car rather than a locomotive or an aircraft carrier.
    My mate also pointed out that the most expensive building the council owned was only constructed 2 years ago and a cost of $6m.

I think they have been reading too many forum comments from people in the US or watching too many of the brain dead US TV shows we get dumped on us! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2012
    That's terrible :(

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX