Default settings for galleries?

caseservecaseserve Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited November 1, 2004 in SmugMug Support
Is there a way to setup default settings for all new galleries to be based on?

I'm creating new galleries and I find it's a PITA to have to go through and remember to click all the options off for no display of origional images, sharing off, comments off etc. etc.

Thanks,

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2004
    Already asked for
    caseserve wrote:
    Is there a way to setup default settings for all new galleries to be based on?

I'm creating new galleries and I find it's a PITA to have to go through and remember to click all the options off for no display of origional images, sharing off, comments off etc. etc.

This request has already been asked for. Including with that feature set has been the ability to have default custom pricing. I'm wanting it as well.

Another option I am really, really waiting for relates to proofing. Either a less irritating way to say "proof" on an image, or the ability to turn off the "large" size image. I just know I'm losing sales to people right clicking the images onto their computer.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • caseservecaseserve Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    Any headway on this?
    ?
    mercphoto wrote:
    This request has already been asked for. Including with that feature set has been the ability to have default custom pricing. I'm wanting it as well.

Another option I am really, really waiting for relates to proofing. Either a less irritating way to say "proof" on an image, or the ability to turn off the "large" size image. I just know I'm losing sales to people right clicking the images onto their computer.
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    caseserve wrote:
    ?
    Well, the ability to turn off larges is there. At least in pro accounts.
    Richard
  • yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2004
    Am I mistaken in thinking that if you right-click protect images in the pro-accounts that people can no longer copy them down? I though that was the point of it.
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2004
    yvonne wrote:
    Am I mistaken in thinking that if you right-click protect images in the pro-accounts that people can no longer copy them down? I though that was the point of it.

I'm not going to go into all the details, but suffice it to say that 'right-click protection' isn't worth anything. It's so useless, we wouldn't even support it at smugmug, except people assume that it actually works and refused to sign up without it.

There are dozens of easy ways to get photos off of sites which use so-called 'right-click protection' - but none that get around disabling 'Large' and 'Original' or having a watermark.

Interestingly enough, I found some fascinating numbers at one point that restriction of photos like this actually hurts sales. Similar to MP3s becoming hugely popular and seeing a corresponding rise in music sales, for certain types of photography, sharing and owning appeared to increase sales, rather than decrease them. Likewise, customers were less likely to buy when they felt treated like a criminal or had some big roadblock in their way, such as 'right-click protection'. I wish I still had the URLs in question, but Google might have them.

Who knows how accurate those studies were, but it is food for thought. I can assure you that dealing with restrictive digital photography in the past has made some of my family members very angry. One time in particular, there was a digital 'proof' CD full of photos from a wedding. One of the family members got excited about the thought of buying a couple of 16x20s for some family members, and asked to see a larger version of the photo. The CD was equipped with both lower-rez photos and some DRM (digital rights management) that prevented them from seeing a larger version. As a result, they didn't buy any.

I guess the takeaway here is that there might be a line which might be dangerous to cross. Protect your images, but do so in a way that's not likely to upset your customers or make them feel treated like a criminal. We try to make sure you have various options at your disposal at smugmug so you can determine where that line is for your customers.

Don