Include the Automatic "From..." Link to Collected Photos in Collage Galleries

Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
edited May 27, 2015 in SmugMug Feature Requests
A collected photo in Smugmug style automatically gets a "From ORIGINAL GALLERY" link embedded into the caption field.

i-s6V458k-L.jpg

I would like the same to appear in Collage Landscape mode. Currently it doesn't.

i-phNbkGs-L.jpg

I tried figuring out a site-wide CSS, but I don't know what the heck I'm doing. So...

Can Smugmug please enable this?

Comments

• Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    @ brandofamily,

You have a page on your site that I am assuming is a gallery of collected images. I noticed when I hovered over them a "Click to View in Home Gallery" text appeared. Is this related to what I want to do?
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    I'll see what I can do once I get home. My collage is a multi-photo block populated by the popular photos "tags" I'd guess you call it. It was an option for the block I think... I'll have to look. But in that set up you can choose to click thru to the home gallery of the image.
    Can you set such a thing in your collection?
    edited August 28, 2013
    When I collect a photo and send it another gallery is acts just like any other photo in that gallery. The "From 'original gallery link' " that automatically appears in the caption of an image in the Smugmug Style gallery doesn't in the Collage Style. So, I know they have something that tags a collected image, and embeds a link back. I can't seem to figure out how to force this to happen in Collage as well.

I thought you'd figured it out, but now I understand you're using a different tool, the multi-photo block, altogether. I thought it was a collage. Sorry to have bothered you.
    edited August 28, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    When I collect a photo and send it another gallery is acts just like any other photo in that gallery. The "From 'original gallery link' " that automatically appears in the caption of an image in the Smugmug Style gallery doesn't in the Collage Style. So, I know they have something that tags a collected image, and embeds a link back. I can't seem to figure out how to force this to happen in Collage as well.

I thought you'd figured it out, but now I understand you're using a different tool, the multi-photo block, altogether. I thought it was a collage. Sorry to have bothered you.

No bother at all. The code that makes the text is doing just that... making text. It does not create a link or button. The image itself clicks thru to the home gallery. The text just attempts to direct the viewer.
    If I can figure out the code used by SM I can actually direct the a button. I'll see what I can come up with. Others are better at code than I, so maybe someone else will find you a solution.
    edited August 28, 2013
    @ brandofamily,

You have a page on your site that I am assuming is a gallery of collected images. I noticed when I hovered over them a "Click to View in Home Gallery" text appeared. Is this related to what I want to do?

I don't do collected galleries so I have no reference to work from. I you would like I could play with the code, but I need a gallery to use... you could either switch one of your or explain to me how to create one.
    edited August 28, 2013
    Basically, if you want to collect a photo in the new smugmug you need at least two galleries. One that host the original, and one that will have the collected photo. This isn't a copy, it's the same file being displayed in different places. You can place a collected photo anywhere you wish. You can even "collect it" to multiple galleries.

That's what I do you see. I will sometimes group photos by themes in different places. For instance, let's take the photo I used for the example above of the canon firing. The original is in the gallery from the specific shoot. A collected copy is in another "historical" collection of shots, and is also in one "catch all" eye candy gallery. What you do to one, happens to all.

Here's how you collect a photo. Right now they have made it so you can only collect one image at a time (why'd yinz guyz do that?). You open an image while signed in. When you click the share button you'll see all the options to send it to various social media sites, and get a link. You'll also see the "Collect" option. Select that, and then choose where to send it.

In the smugmug style gallery you get a link in the caption field. That automatic link back to the original gallery gives a user a means to find it in the original context. That auto generated text and link is what I want to appear in the caption box in the collage, and on the lightbox images.
  • GRBlizzGRBlizz Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    I completely agree with you.

I wrote SM about it, and the Hero responded that the "Original Gallery" link is only available in SmugMug and Journal styles. It's not at all available from the much cooler and fresher collage styles, and no longer available in lightbox view as it was in Legacy.

I'd join you in asking for this feature. Specifically, asking for the "View in original gallery" link to be back in the lightbox view, regardless of gallery style.
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    edited September 12, 2013
    Any word on this? Is this on the bug list or feature request list? I consider it a bug as it should always appear under a collected photo, as it worked in the old Smug.
    edited October 22, 2013
    daffy-duck-waiting.gif
    edited December 5, 2013
    tumblr_mt7zkpbIk21rqfhi2o1_500.gif
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited December 5, 2013
    Any word on this? Is this on the bug list or feature request list? I consider it a bug as it should always appear under a collected photo, as it worked in the old Smug.
    I consider it a bug too, but that's the case for many of the entries in the Feature Requests forum.

This is sorely missing - I'd really like to see it added. For now I'm using Journal style in galleries that contain collected photos.

--- Denise
    edited February 3, 2014
    loading.gif
    edited March 25, 2014
    9i8RsHF.gif
    edited May 7, 2014
    R3AtaIN.gif
    edited August 17, 2014
    waiting_for_your_friend_in_the_bathroom-47942.gif
    edited May 27, 2015
    HOLY SMOKES! I literally just noticed that this is now working! Thanks! Now users can go to the original galleries from a collected photo. I can now begin to redesign how I hope to change how people flow through parts of my site.

THANK YOU!

621599.gif
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2015
    If I upload to a holding type gallery then collect to where I want them to show I would not want a link back to
    the originals gallery. I propose that only links back to "public" galleries be shown. That way I can make the original
    gallery "unlisted" and keep it hidden.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2015
    Allen wrote: »
    If I upload to a holding type gallery then collect to where I want them to show I would not want a link back to
    the originals gallery. I propose that only links back to "public" galleries be shown. That way I can make the original
    gallery "unlisted" and keep it hidden.

That's how it works. Try it!

Dave