SEO Descriptions Not Working

DanCarl97DanCarl97 Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
edited February 15, 2014 in Bug Reporting
Site Name: www.meljones.info or meljones.smugmug.com

The Problem:
The 'Meta Descriptions', that are set in the Folder/Page settings do not reflect those that show up on Google, and upon further investigation, are not updated in the actual HTML of the page. Only the Twitter and Facebook descriptions are updated. I contacted Smugmug five months ago about this, and they said the development team would be told about it but I have heard nothing since.

Steps to Recreate the problem:
  1. Open the settings for a Page or Folder
  2. Change the 'Meta Description'.
  3. Wait up to 48 hours for the change to update.

Example:
The following is about a page on my website, but the same applies to every page or folder.

On line 22 of this copy of the HTML source code, you can see the actual Meta Description that is part of the page, and where google obtains its descriptions for your page, and that is quite an important part of SEO. Around that code, for example Line 19 shows the 'Meta Description' I had set in preferences. Obviously, there must be a small part where the code has been missed off, but this is a core factor in SEO and really needs to be fixed.

I am using Google Chrome on Mac OS X 10.9 but I've tried it on multiple devices and this is obviously a fault with the HTML generation.

I reported this over five months ago but nobody replied with any information, even after requesting this several times.

Thanks,
Dan Jones

Comments