Canon HG10 vs. GL-2 (Video Cameras)

dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited April 27, 2010 in Video
I'm currently trying to boost the video portion of my wedding photography business and I have a few questions. I'm currently using Canon HG10 HD cameras to shoot the weddings. They are not professional models, but they produce a decent outcome. I had a GL-1 during high school and I absolutely loved it. So here's my question...

Will the video quality of the GL-2 be far superior than the video produced by the HG10? The GL-2 in not HD, but it is in the Professional tier of camera.

Thanks for your help!

Website
My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
| 580EX II & 430EX

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited April 27, 2010
    I moved this to or video discussion forum.

Since the Canon HG10 is 1080i it has 6 times the resolution and detail of the Canon GL-2 in good light. I think where the GL-2 can do better is in really low light, where its 3 - CCD design should show lower video noise. The GL-2 is also better for rapid action since each frame is discreet, versus the downres and AVCHD compression of the HG10.

Also look at the Sony HVR-HD1000U. While it's a single chip design, users are reporting good results in low light. It does 1080i and records to both DV-mini and the small DVCam

If you have to hand hold for long periods, the shoulder mount design of the HVR-HD1000U should be an advantage.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums