the dgrin suggestion box

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    eliminate the white background so everyone is on the same page

I forgot: Eliminate the black background so everyone is on the same page. Yeah!!!!!!

Heh you had it right the first time Rutt. White/black/test they're all staying.
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    can we make "view first unread" saner?
    This is probably something that needs to be feed back to the vBulletin team in reality, but whoknows, maybe there's something y'all can do about it.

As near as I can tell, the "view first unread" link on threads is NOT scoped to that thread, but rather to the entire site. This is a problem for me because I simply don't have the time to follow all of the threads I'd like to every day. (Like the photo association thread!)

An example of my dgrin viewing habit would be:

monday: check the challenge forum, and if time, the landscapes, cityscapes and streets area.

tuesday: check the challenge forum, cool shots, and if time the theory and technique forum.

wednesday: check the challenge forum, wide angle (non-game), and if time digital darkroom

thursday: check the challenge forum, digital darkroom, and if time, gear

friday: game thread, game chatter thread, challenges.

When I open the game thread, if I click "view first unread" it takes me to the first post made on thursday night after I stopped viewing, which is easily a week of shots off.

It would be nice if the "view first unread" was scoped to the tread. It would be even cooler if threads were individually tagable. (see Bunny for an example of tagging.) From a UI perspective tags could be quite slick. Each post would get a "tag this post" icon/link, and the thread page would optionally get a "jump to tag" link where "view first unread" currently sits. The backend implementation of tags is via cookies stored on the browser for most sites, would be nice if they were stored server side with your account instead... that way folks that read the fora from several machines will be able to seamlessly keep up.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Turning off mouse-overs
    Is there a way to turn off mouse-overs while browsing the forum?
    edited December 17, 2005
    JCDoss wrote:
    Is there a way to turn off mouse-overs while browsing the forum?

I don't think so, JC - I'll look.
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    May have been already said but here goes. I frequent another Vbulletin board and they have it set up where when you comment on a thread it autosubscribes you. This is awesome for me so I dont have to track down threads and can easily find those that are buried. I know I can just subscribe them but this makes it so much easier. Can we implement this?
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
    edited January 17, 2006
    cwphotos wrote:
    May have been already said but here goes. I frequent another Vbulletin board and they have it set up where when you comment on a thread it autosubscribes you. This is awesome for me so I dont have to track down threads and can easily find those that are buried. I know I can just subscribe them but this makes it so much easier. Can we implement this?

In "You!" in the navbar, upper left: You!>Edit Options>Messaging and Notification

You can have it autosubscribe you, with or without email notification. If you choose "no email notification" then using "Quick Links">Subscribed Threads will show you your threads thumb.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 23, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    In "You!" in the navbar, upper left: You!>Edit Options>Messaging and Notification

You can have it autosubscribe you, with or without email notification. If you choose "no email notification" then using "Quick Links">Subscribed Threads will show you your threads thumb.gif

I've selected "no email notification" yet my email inbox is flooded with email once a week from several forums.
    edited January 23, 2006
    two little pet peeves for me are names and location.

I once replied to a thread in which the author took offense that I mistook "him" for a "her". Of course the alias used in the author's avatar gave no clue to his gender.

Can a "city" window be incorporated into the profile page to prompt for this info and can DG finally fix the problem of the location NOT showing in an avatar if all other boxes are not filled-in?
    edited January 23, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    I've selected "no email notification" yet my email inbox is flooded with email once a week from several forums.

Perhaps there are threads that you individually subscribed to, Angelo?
    edited January 23, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    two little pet peeves for me are names and location.

I once replied to a thread in which the author took offense that I mistook "him" for a "her". Of course the alias used in the author's avatar gave no clue to his gender.

Can a "city" window be incorporated into the profile page to prompt for this info and can DG finally fix the problem of the location NOT showing in an avatar if all other boxes are not filled-in?

We have a location field - and we encourage people to fill it in.

I can't help you with sex identification lol3.gif
    edited January 23, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    We have a location field - and we encourage people to fill it in.

Yes, but two points: 1) many have filled in their location box but due to a glitch in the system if they inadvertently leave another field blank the location will not display. and 2) by changing the term "location" to "city" we might also encourage grinners to not use terms like "southern california" (which can be anywhere from Bakersfield to San Diego) or their email address, as we've seen.
    I can't help you with sex identification lol3.gif

lol3.gif, OK but maybe we could encourage the use of first names?
    edited January 23, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Perhaps there are threads that you individually subscribed to, Angelo?

Thanks Andy. I'll check individual threads once again to be sure.
    edited January 23, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    Yes, but two points: 1) many have filled in their location box but due to a glitch in the system if they inadvertently leave another field blank the location will not display. and 2) by changing the term "location" to "city" we might also encourage grinners to not use terms like "southern california" (which can be anywhere from Bakersfield to San Diego) or their email address, as we've seen.

lol3.gif, OK but maybe we could encourage the use of first names?

Welcome to the internet, Angelo! Remember "Pat" from SNL?

7735.GIF
    edited January 23, 2006
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Other forums
    I wonder how many people have specialized imaging technology that don't just want to be on some specialized website. There may be people having some really sweet thermal images (I wish I were one of them) or who have images taken with some specialized equipment. And don't forget that terahertz-wave imaging is making some big strides (of considerable interest to people involved with airport security, for instance).

I have access to three Everest VIT video borescopes (that can also take jpeg stills). You can buy a nice BMW, Porsche or big SUV for what these things cost. I just might have something "way too kewl" to show off.

So how about maybe an industrial photo forum here? So many ways to see the world nowadays!
    Steve-o
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 22, 2006
    re whipping post before and after thread--

last post before mine of 2/22 was mine of 2/16--

last post of a before and after was of 2/15-

at least 12 whipping post befores up since then--

it is now a full week since last before/after--

due for a different format?--

why is it we don't post the after on the same thread we posted our before??-

thanks
    george
    edited February 22, 2006
    Forehead wrote:

So how about maybe an industrial photo forum here? So many ways to see the world nowadays!

Let's see 'em, in "other cool shots" deal.gif

Thanks!
    edited February 22, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:

thanks
    george

I don't know why it's so hard for folks to post before and afters, but you'll also see that the rules for the WP have been changed a bit, too. Take another look deal.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    re whipping post before and after thread--

last post before mine of 2/22 was mine of 2/16--

last post of a before and after was of 2/15-

at least 12 whipping post befores up since then--

it is now a full week since last before/after--

due for a different format?--

thanks
    george

Oh boy, let's not mess with it so soon after hashing it all out.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 22, 2006
    after being up for 20 hours I get kinda' tired-

I think I had lost my place-

oh well, maybe in another 20 years I can rest for good-

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wxwax
    I think jfriend makes some valid points. It is rather awkward to have two threads about the same shot. And the before and after shots do rather get lost in the larger 'before and after' thread.

Having said that, I understand not wanting to turn the whipping post into a fix-it forum. I understand the appeal of the purity of keeping it a critique forum. I like the idea of limiting submissions to one's best work, and taking the lessons to heart and applying them to one's future work.

Also, most of the shots can't simply be fixed in post. Their problems start with how they were taken. So it's a pointless exercise, trying to address the issues raised by the critiques, by messing with the shots in post.

Personally, I find it hard to predict what increased traffic will do to this forum.

OK, enough equivocating. I'll vote for letting folks post their amended shots in the same Whipping post. But I'll also feel free to tell them that they're wasting their time. That the real issue with their shot started before they ever pressed the shutter relase. And that the fixing needs to take place between their ears, not at the computer.

Sid-

sorry, I think I missed this whole discussion (no surprise there)-

oh well, I still think the current format sucks-

but will go thru this thread this weekend to see why it's still set up the way it is-

thanks
    george
    user_online.gif
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    I've seen that you've added support for Skype. Great stuff.
    As google accounts and gmail spread more and more I would like to suggest adding Google Talk as a messanger here. You can now even chat from within your gmail-inbox window in the browser. Also voice chat with a person might be also very helpful at some times.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    I would really love to see a forum for documentary/PJ added. A lot of stuff doesn't fit well into field and street. Maybe we should give field and landscape its own zone, and have a street and doc/PJ forum. I personally don't think field and street go together at all.

for example, bullfight photos. Where do they go? Sports?- not really appropriate. Field and Street? It's neither.

I took some photos of the Fulton Fish Market as well; definitely not sport, but sort of street, if you stretch it.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Forum suggestion (or how to make getting around a bit easier)
    I don't know if I'm missing something or not, and please direct me to the right spot if I am, but I have a slight annoyance with the forum software.

When you get to the bottom of a thread, the options are next and previous. I think it would make sense to add the navigation bar that appears at the top of every thread and individual forum:

suggestion1.jpg

to the bottom of each individual thread here:

suggestion2.jpg

I really dislike having to scroll all the way to the top of the page jsut to hit the navigation menu. This can't be that hard to implement. Thanks for listening.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
    edited April 10, 2006
    TristanP wrote:

I really dislike having to scroll all the way to the top of the page jsut to hit the navigation menu. This can't be that hard to implement. Thanks for listening.
    So, you'd like the breadcrumb at the bottom, too? We'll look into it, thanks thumb.gif
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    So, you'd like the breadcrumb at the bottom, too? We'll look into it, thanks thumb.gif
    Is that what it's called? Yes. :D
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    When you get to the bottom of a thread, the options are next and previous. I think it would make sense to add the navigation bar that appears at the top of every thread and individual forum. I really dislike having to scroll all the way to the top of the page jsut to hit the navigation menu. This can't be that hard to implement. Thanks for listening.

Take a look at the bottom right, it has a forum jump button/dropdown. The dropdown defaults to the forum you are in and the dropdown gives access to the other forums.
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    overall site consistancy, menu everywhere?
    I imagine that many are like me and, now that we've found the site, have a bookmark set for the forums.

That means that there are menus that we almost never see... which may lead people to forget about tutorials and other dgrin features.

note the inconsistancy...

dgrin.smugmug.com/index.php
    dgrinsmugmugcomindex7op.png

dgrin.smugmug.com/Dgrin Galleries
    dgrinsmugmugcomdgringalleries7.png

dgrin.com/private.php
    dgrincomprivatephp8fv.png

dgrin.com/index.php
    dgrincomindex4un.png
  • trossnageltrossnagel Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    just my two cents...maybe it already exists?
    Is there a feature where I could search for MY POSTS?

Thanks!
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    trossnagel wrote:
    Is there a feature where I could search for MY POSTS?

Thanks!

If you go to Search->Advanced Search, enter your username in the "Search by User Name" box...
    Chris
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    If you go to Search->Advanced Search, enter your username in the "Search by User Name" box...

Just click on your name, and from the drop-down menu choose "find more posts by..". :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops