RAW format video acquisition

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
edited April 29, 2010 in Video
Since dSLRs can now capture video, wouldn't it be nice to have a "RAW" video format for acquisition that could allow the same sort of post-production image control that we enjoy for digital still photography?

How nice would it be to be able to gain later control over WB and dynamic range distribution?
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    Wouldn't data rate be an issue?

I guess I don't really understand how dSLR's run at 30fps, but even with 10MB raw images I think that works out to GB's per minute.

10MB/sec * 30 => 300MB/sec

300MB/sec * 60 => 18.000GB / minute.

Or are you thinking of a new raw video format something like MPEG, where each "raw" frame stores the diff from the last?

Dan
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    wouldn't it be nice to have a "RAW" video format for acquisition that could allow the same sort of post-production image control that we enjoy for digital still photography?

They do, it's called the RED camera.
    http://movingstillmedia.com/831/red-raw-vs-canon-iso-sensitivity/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Digital_Cinema_Camera_Company
    http://www.red.com/cameras/workflow/

Wikipedia says data rate is 28-42MB/sec depending on the codec.
    Dan7312 wrote:
    I guess I don't really understand how dSLR's run at 30fps, but even with 10MB raw images I think that works out to GB's per minute.

There's a couple of considerations. First, DSLRs don't capture video at their full resolution. They top out at 1080p HD which is only two megapixels. The 7D achieves 60fps, the tradeoff being it cranks down the resolution to 720p HD, just under 1 megapixel. Second, I believe the numbers you worked out are for uncompressed data. Even raw data can be compressed; still raw images certainly are. All a DSLR has to do is pump out 30 compressed 2 megapixel images per second down the pipe, and that's doable especially when your DSLR has dual image processing chips on board. It's so doable that RED is apparently working on or has (I'm not an expert on this stuff) 2K and 4K cameras for true film quality.

I guess if what's being asked for is raw video at full DSLR resolution (10-20 megapixels per frame), that's going to take a while or RED will be doing it first since they charge so much more.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Since dSLRs can now capture video, wouldn't it be nice to have a "RAW" video format for acquisition that could allow the same sort of post-production image control that we enjoy for digital still photography?

How nice would it be to be able to gain later control over WB and dynamic range distribution?
    Yeah, it would! I kept searching early on looking for more control, and for me at least, AE comes closest
    851422724_4Jztk-M.jpg

However, it has RE-taught one very nice thing: try my best to get the best image SOOC!
    tom wise
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited April 29, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    ... I guess if what's being asked for is raw video at full DSLR resolution (10-20 megapixels per frame), that's going to take a while or RED will be doing it first since they charge so much more.

My thought is 1080, 16:9 aspect, Progressive, sRAW "video" file. Also a 480i, 4:3 sRAW video for SD applications.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums