Grand Canyon Aerials

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
edited March 27, 2011 in Landscapes
My friend Charlie invited me for a ride in his airplane. Since we live very close to the Grand Canyon, it seemed like a reasonable destination. This afforded me some pretty unique views.

Conditions were very hazy, sky was overcast, and of course I was shooting through a window. That made for extremely flat shots, but they responded well to post processing.

Here's a random collect of the many shots I got, all shot from the west end of the canyon.

1208429713_yGRJq-XL.jpg

1212615607_cbe9L-XL.jpg

1208432600_83cDc-XL.jpg

1208436480_ty2Cf-XL.jpg

1208440528_D3xGW-XL.jpg

1208441258_dz5qM-XL.jpg

1208442846_eYfyr-XL.jpg

1208446178_t6qS5-XL.jpg

1208438890_4KBeZ-XL.jpg

10 Grand Canyon West SkyWalk (Indian owned)
1212614404_vMWL6-XL.jpg
As a slight editorial, notice the big scar on the canyon directly under the SkyWalk which was undoubtedly caused by the construction. They are always complaining about the white man desecrating sacred Indian grounds, but have no problem evidently in creating a huge scar on the canyon when it benefits them. If you or I did that, we would probably be in jail.

11 SkyWalk 100% Crop
1212612666_xiXan-XL.jpg

1208449492_zi6X5-XL.jpg

13 Lake Mead
1212614167_UYAtz-XL.jpg

13 Hoover Dam and new Bridge (I've previously posted other views, but not this one)
1208129831_BT5A8-XL-3.jpg

Full gallery with lots more pictures here: http://www.desertilluminations.com/Landscapes/Flying-with-Charlie/16094200_7Nhkm#1207994961_MnKaj

Thanks for looking.

-joel

Comments

• oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    Very nice! Amazingly sharp considering they were taken from a moving object. #3 is my favorite
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    Great series, Joel. Cool to see the canyon from the air clap.gif
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 22, 2011
    Joel, these are spectacular! clap.gif I love aerial shots to start with, but you did an amazing job considering the visibility and shooting through the glass. I can't pick one single favorite, but 5, 7 and 9 are especially beautiful. I wish I can fly over the Grand Canyon one day.

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • ranran Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    Grand just doesn't seam to do it justice. great work
    Randall
    Randall -FINE ART : FOR OFFICE AND HOME
    branhamphoto.com
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    Wow Joel, these are fantastic, especially considering you were shooting through a window. The detail and textures are great. thumb.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 22, 2011
    There is still snow in some areas re: #9?

Nice series, Joel. Shows what views are available via aircraft.

I love to shoot from balloons as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • TopCatTopCat Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    Nice shots, really sharp focus, amazing landscapes. Looks like a painting on the cliff face in #4!
    Tom
    Nikon D300 with 16-85 f3.5-5.6 VR, 35 f/1.8, 70-300 VR; Nikon D800 with 24-70 f/2.8, 105 f/2.8 VR Micro, 70-200 f/2.8 VRII, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Dell XPS 17 (8 GB RAM), LR5.3, Photoshop CC
    My Portfolio
    My PhotoBlog
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    For a second I thought I was looking at Google Earth. I would not have know these were taken through a window; particularly with the first one. That is pretty sharp and clear. agreed with #10. That is a great set! Surely one will make it to a wall?
  • shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 674 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    An AMAZING collection Joel, I can't pick a fav. Great job as usual, great opportunity! I have come to expect nothing short of awesome from your work!
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    These are awesome. Fifth one is unreal thumb.gif
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    These are great Joel. I have not seen this perspective before. Definitely very unique!!!

Cheers,
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    Very nice! I like the detail you were able to get. Good technical skills.

As to the sky walk.........................I can't figure why anyone would spend the money it took to build the damn thing. Then why would anyone spend the money, $43.00 to have the privilege to drive to the sky walk. Then $30.00 to walk on it. That's $146.00 for you and your honey to experience this. Good luck if you have kids, that's even more.

I am surprised you were allowed to take photos without using the official air services of the sky walk. Don't worry they will probably bill you later. :D

OH and did you want photos? You can't take your camera.

Sorry for the mini rant. I like nature as it is, not distilled, sanitized, and homogenized.

Sam
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited March 22, 2011
    oldoval wrote: »
    Very nice! Amazingly sharp considering they were taken from a moving object. #3 is my favorite
    Thanks, Nate. I tried to keep my shutter speeds up. IS probably helped as well. #3 has nice even lighting. Good choice. :D
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Great series, Joel. Cool to see the canyon from the air clap.gif
    Thanks, Dan. The canyon was amazing from air. I was almost too busy snapping pictures to really see it through, if that makes any sense. eek7.gif
    annnna8888 wrote: »
    Joel, these are spectacular! clap.gif I love aerial shots to start with, but you did an amazing job considering the visibility and shooting through the glass. I can't pick one single favorite, but 5, 7 and 9 are especially beautiful. I wish I can fly over the Grand Canyon one day.

Ana
    Hey thanks, Ana. I always enjoy your shots from Slovenia and the alps. It's great to see new places from exotic lands, isn't it?
    ran wrote: »
    Grand just doesn't seam to do it justice. great work
    Randall
    Thanks so much, Randall!
    bryanj87 wrote: »
    Wow Joel, these are fantastic, especially considering you were shooting through a window. The detail and textures are great. thumb.gif
    Thanks, Bryan! I do have quite a few shots that are spoiled by reflections and flare, but all in all I can't complain with how they came out. I'm already planning my next trip with Charlie and we have some great ideas in the works. mwink.gif
    pathfinder wrote: »
    There is still snow in some areas re: #9?

Nice series, Joel. Shows what views are available via aircraft.

I love to shoot from balloons as well.
    Thanks, Jim. Yes, there was some snow on the ground which can be seen in several of my shots. There's probably a whole lot more now actually. Hmm.....
    TopCat wrote: »
    Nice shots, really sharp focus, amazing landscapes. Looks like a painting on the cliff face in #4!
    Thanks, Tom. #4 is definitely one of my favorites. Those rock formations and their colors are really amazing. I wouldn't mind going back to that spot for a closer look. There is some crazy stuff in that canyon.
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    Wow!!!!

Nice job!!!

Great shots!!!

I'm v. jealous!!!!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    edited March 22, 2011
    I thought there were restrictions about flying over the Grand Canyon? perhaps it's just that there's no flying below the canyon rim?

- Wil
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    Excellent! You did a great job with the processing. Nice comps and color. Thanks for sharing these.
    edited March 22, 2011
    Eia wrote: »
    For a second I thought I was looking at Google Earth. I would not have know these were taken through a window; particularly with the first one. That is pretty sharp and clear. agreed with #10. That is a great set! Surely one will make it to a wall?
    Thanks, Eia! I do have a number of shots with flare from the window, but overall I'm pretty pleased. Yeah, that's a shame about the big scar on the canyon.
    shawnc wrote: »
    An AMAZING collection Joel, I can't pick a fav. Great job as usual, great opportunity! I have come to expect nothing short of awesome from your work!
    Thanks, Shawn! Very kind of you to say. bowdown.gif
    eoren1 wrote: »
    These are awesome. Fifth one is unreal thumb.gif
    Thanks, Eyal. Isn't that a cool area? I took several shots of that mesa.
    shniks wrote: »
    These are great Joel. I have not seen this perspective before. Definitely very unique!!!

Cheers,
    Thanks, Nikhil! I hadn't seen those perspectives either, not many people have. deal.gif:D
    Sam wrote: »
    Very nice! I like the detail you were able to get. Good technical skills.

As to the sky walk.........................I can't figure why anyone would spend the money it took to build the damn thing. Then why would anyone spend the money, $43.00 to have the privilege to drive to the sky walk. Then $30.00 to walk on it. That's $146.00 for you and your honey to experience this. Good luck if you have kids, that's even more.

I am surprised you were allowed to take photos without using the official air services of the sky walk. Don't worry they will probably bill you later. :D

OH and did you want photos? You can't take your camera.

Sorry for the mini rant. I like nature as it is, not distilled, sanitized, and homogenized.

Sam
    Thanks, Sam! I hear ya, bro'. Still, I'd rather the Indians scalp us this way, than the old way. rolleyes1.gif

Wil Davis wrote: »
    Wow!!!!

Nice job!!!

Great shots!!!

I'm v. jealous!!!!

thumb.gif
    I thought there were restrictions about flying over the Grand Canyon? perhaps it's just that there's no flying below the canyon rim?

- Wil
    Thanks, Wil! There are restrictions on certain parts of the canyon that are clearly spelled out on the flight charts, and Charlie follows them explicitly. nod.gif For example, you can fly anywhere you want over 14,500'. All it takes is a longer lens. deal.gif
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    These are some really great shots of the canyon for positions noone else has.
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    Jealous!! I love #5! Such cool vantage points and you got some AWESOME shots!
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • jttphotojttphoto Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    #3 is my favorite of the bunch. Seeing the river and the layers of rock brings back fond memories. For some perspective for those that have never been to the Grand Canyon...to hike from the river to the South Rim takes you up 4800 vertical feet and 9 miles of trail (at least from where I did it).
    Wil - Unless things have changed only the National Park Service can fly below the rim on search and rescue missions. This is usually for medevac purposes or to rescue stranded boaters. It's amazing how many people get in trouble in the Grand Canyon each year because they underestimate how dangerous it can be.
    edited March 24, 2011
    Joel, your pic (#13 Hoover Dam & New Bridge) shows the level of Lake Mead to be seriously low, especially when compared with a couple of shots I took of the lake back in the mid 1980s:

591160573_G4ggU-Ti-1.jpg

593855194_HaWvv-Ti.jpg

The difference in level looks staggering!!

- Wil
    edited March 24, 2011
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    Excellent! You did a great job with the processing. Nice comps and color. Thanks for sharing these.
    Thanks, Trey. Glad you like 'em.

Doug Solis wrote: »
    These are some really great shots of the canyon for positions noone else has.
    Thanks, Doug. That thought did occur to me. I'm inspired to take some more now. :)
    Sexy6Chick wrote: »
    Jealous!! I love #5! Such cool vantage points and you got some AWESOME shots!
    Thanks, Natalie! A friend with a plane turns out to be a handy thing to have. mwink.gif
    jttphoto wrote: »
    #3 is my favorite of the bunch. Seeing the river and the layers of rock brings back fond memories. For some perspective for those that have never been to the Grand Canyon...to hike from the river to the South Rim takes you up 4800 vertical feet and 9 miles of trail (at least from where I did it).
    Wil - Unless things have changed only the National Park Service can fly below the rim on search and rescue missions. This is usually for medevac purposes or to rescue stranded boaters. It's amazing how many people get in trouble in the Grand Canyon each year because they underestimate how dangerous it can be.
    Thanks, JTT. I'd love to hike to the bottom of the canyon some time. My wife has done rim-to-rim.
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    Joel, your pic (#13 Hoover Dam & New Bridge) shows the level of Lake Mead to be seriously low, especially when compared with a couple of shots I took of the lake back in the mid 1980s:

591160573_G4ggU-Ti-1.jpg

593855194_HaWvv-Ti.jpg

The difference in level looks staggering!!

- Wil
    Hey Wil, you're right. The water level has been way down like this for the past 5 years I've been here. Your pictures really drives the point home. It would be amazing to see the water that high again. I wonder if it will ever happen.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    Nice shots!

Jealous of a friend with a plane and in such close relation to the GC.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited March 27, 2011
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    Nice shots!

Jealous of a friend with a plane and in such close relation to the GC.
    Thanks, Aaron. We're already planning our next trip. We're going to go east this time over Havasupai, Horseshoe Bend, South Coyote Buttes, Possible overnight in Page with a land tour, then on to Lake Powell, and Monument Valley and Canyon Lands. Should be a good one. mwink.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Thanks, Aaron. We're already planning our next trip. We're going to go east this time over Havasupai, Horseshoe Bend, South Coyote Buttes, Possible overnight in Page with a land tour, then on to Lake Powell, and Monument Valley and Canyon Lands. Should be a good one. mwink.gif

:soapbox

Is there room for a stowaway?
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion