Newbie: Finally upgrading from a Point & Shoot. Should I go DSLR or Mirrorless?

2»

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    Printing huge = DSLR or FF Mirrorless.
    What's your definition of "huge"?
  • MolsondogMolsondog Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    If Rachel was confused before asking the question, she must be totally baffled now. And yes, this must be a record for Best New Poster. A great question has brought out all sides to the discussion. Now she has to sort through all the banter and actually make a decision!

[QUOTE=

PS I think Rachel should be nominated for "Best New Poster" - thanks for stimulating some great conversation with intelligent questions (and answers) thumb.gif[/QUOTE]
  • rachelmedinarachelmedina Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    SteveF wrote: »
    Hi,

The Sony a7 and a7r are game changers in the many departments, being full frame and thus giving smaller dof's than smaller sensor cameras, but with 24-36mp. For landscape, architecture and portraits this is a fantastic system.

With an adapter you can hook on a Canon 17tse and have a world class architecture camera. Or a Canon 85/1.2 and now you've got the dream portrait camera. The Sony / Zeiss 35/2.8 resolves more lpm than just about anything on the market.

I've been using the a7r for a while now and it is truly amazing. Love it. More than the Nex-7, more than the Leica M9, more than the GH3.

However, if I'm shooting action - be it kids, a wedding, sports, wildlife I will always always preferentially pick up my 1Dx. The AF is unbelievably good. At 12-14 fps I always get shots that I would not have gotten otherwise.

From what you've described and looking at your photos I'd definately go mirrorless, but when you find yourself missing opportunities because of AF speed or framerate add in a dlsr body.

That's my two cents.

Thank you for your insight Steve!

Yes, the Sony a7 & a7r did catch my eye while I was briefly browsing Sony's website. Thank you for sharing your experience with it! It's always great to hear everyone's first hand experience with specific cameras. It helps me narrow down my search. thumb.gif
    edited December 20, 2013
    I think it's much simpler than this thread has made it...

Sports, running/flying wildlife = DSLR

Printing huge = DSLR or FF Mirrorless.

Thinnest DOF = DSLR or FF Mirrorless.

All else = Mirrorless.

And I find the Fuji XF lens lineup to be fairly comprehensive, not limited.

Thank you for your opinion as well jmphotocraft!

So based on your breakdown and based on where I'm planning to go with my photography, I assume your vote would be for me to go Mirrorless?
    edited December 20, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    Ah, but Andy has shown that mirrorless can also do wildlife... so perhaps NOT so simple!! :giggle

I'm following this thread with interest, as my next point and shoot will probably be mirrorless; I adore my s95 and happliy use it when I need to travel small and light, but when it dies and it's time to replace it clearly I will have far more choices than I did in 2010!!

PS I think Rachel should be nominated for "Best New Poster" - thanks for stimulating some great conversation with intelligent questions (and answers) thumb.gif

Haha! Thanks divamum! :D

You all have given me so much valuable information over the past few days. Thank you all again for helping a newbie out! thumb.gif
    edited December 20, 2013
    Molsondog wrote: »
    If Rachel was confused before asking the question, she must me totally baffled now. And yes, this must be a record for Best New Poster. A great question has brought out all sides to the discussion. Now she has to sort through all the banter and actually make a decision!

Haha! Yes, Molsondog, I will admit that with all the information that you all have provided me with thus far (pros & cons of both sides), I do find myself still playing tug-o-war with my own question.

One minute I think "Ok, that's it. I've made my decision. I'm just going to go Mirrorless." But then another point is made about DSLRs and I'm like "Oh no, wait...maybe I should just go with a DSLR." Maybe I really should just flip a coin! Lol! rolleyes1.gif

I actually think I'm going to make myself a quick little chart with all the information that you all have given me to make it a bit easier for me to sort through. I hope to try and make my decision by the end of this weekend. Or, if anything, by the end of this month.

Thank you all again! thumb.gif
  • OsoOso Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2013
    Hi Rachel. You may want to try the Flickr camera finder -- it easily allows you to see photos taken with different cameras.

What you will likely find: there are some great photos being taken with both mirrorless and DSLR cameras by people who learned the cameras and have good technique.

FWIW, I have a fairly low end consumer DSLR because it's fairly lightweight, I'd rather spend money on lenses and (most important) traveling to fun places to take photos.

Good luck!

Steve
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    What's your definition of "huge"?

Oh I guess 20x30". Yes I know, I have printed 20x30s from 8mp and it can work. I also know that my 50" HDTV is only 2mp and it looks great. But the best images can be enjoyed both at a distance and right up close. I think you'll get more of those with a DSLR.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited December 24, 2013
    Oso wrote: »
    Hi Rachel. You may want to try the Flickr camera finder -- it easily allows you to see photos taken with different cameras.

What you will likely find: there are some great photos being taken with both mirrorless and DSLR cameras by people who learned the cameras and have good technique.

FWIW, I have a fairly low end consumer DSLR because it's fairly lightweight, I'd rather spend money on lenses and (most important) traveling to fun places to take photos.

Good luck!

Steve

Thank you so much for the Flickr link Steve! thumb.gif

I checked it out briefly right now and it definitely looks like the site will be of great assistance to me in figuring out what the capabilities of each type of camera are.

And thank you for your input on which camera you own & why!

Now I just have to make a decision! :D
  • pfbpfb Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 6, 2014
    There are really quite a few excellent mirrorless and lower end DSLR's out there right now, and some very decent low cost 'kit lenses' to go with them... Much of the decision is personal preference or driven by some specific objectives.

I have several digital camera platforms that I use regularly, here are some thoughts.... Sorted most recent purchase to older.

Canon EOS SL1:

I just picked this up a few weeks ago, and I'm really liking it. Here's what I like and don't like about it:
    • Sets new standard in small size/compactness in a true digital SLR with a APS-C size sensor. It's about as small as most M4/3 cameras and still gives me a big sensor.
    • *Very* compact package when combined with the extremely sharp Canon 40mm 2.8 STM lens
    • Great low-light sensor performance
    • Compatible the EOS lenses I already have and use with my 40D (see below)
    • Familiar Canon handling, though I miss the second jog dial
    • At $370 for the body (holiday pricing), a bargain!
    The kit 18-55mm lens that is available is supposed to be quite sharp. I have some Canon L glass in that focal range so i didn't get the kit lens.

Sony NEX-6
    Had this guy about a year. It takes phenomenal pictures Here's what I like and don't like about it.
    • Small and light! Not that big of a deal when you are shooting soccer games from a minivan, but it was much appreciated when hauling gear down the Amazon or up Machu picchu
    • Big sensor, similar to Canon APS-C in size.
    • Can use my older Leica M-mount lenses with this camera. Focus peaking and the EVF make it a joy to use with rangefinder or other legacy lenses.
    • Fantastic image quality
    • Autofocus is slower than Canon.
    • Electronic viewfinder is extremely good, though still not quite as good as the optical viewfinders in the best DSLR's
    • Battery life is so-so. When I travel, I carry three batteries and an external charger.
    • Menu functions are clunky, but you get used to it (sort of)
    • Handling is a bit clunky, but again, you sort of get used to it.

Canon 40D
    This camera is getting a bit long in the tooth, but the handling of the semi-pro canons is just second nature to me. It is *still* the camera that is easiest and most instinctive for me to use.
    • Very fast autofocus
    • "Enough" megapixels for almost anything I do
    • Big, bright viewfinder
    • Canon L glass is heavy, but takes wonderful images

My advice? For most people, mirrorless. The only reason to consider a DSLR these days is if one or more of these applies to you:
    • Already have SLR lenses
    • Already familiar with SLR handling
    • Like to shoot fast sports with long lenses (DSLR focus is typically much faster and frame rates higher)
    • Rarely shoot in A, P, or some auto mode (and need a camera that lets you instinctually change shutter speed, aperture, ISO, focus mode, etc)
    • Do a fair amount of low light photography
    Even if some of the above do apply to you, it doesn't rule out mirrorless... It just makes the decision a bit harder.

For mirrorless, I really like the Sony NEX for its big sensor and compatibility with tons of lenses, but there are lots of good mirrorless options. I would *only* consider mirrorless cameras with an electronic view finder for any sort of serious or semi-serious photography.

If I had a spare few grand, the Sony A7R with a few Ziess lenses would be on my short list, but that isn't really what you are looking for.

My top two quick-picks for you, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these...

81ZCXNdYmVL._SL500_.jpg
    Sony NEX6with 16-50mm Zoom Lens and 55-210mm Lens, $964

61ZTdpFRO3L._SL500_.jpg
    Canon EOS Rebel SL1 with 18-55mm Lens + Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Lens, $705
    edited January 6, 2014
    A couple of NEX-6 shots in reference to above post...

NEX-6. Very light setup, super happy with the results. This particular image was taken with a Voigtlander 16mm (Leica M) lens, but the kit lens is also extremely sharp. As a lightweight travel setup plus the ability to use some of my legacy glass, the NEX-6 is hard to beat!

DSC01238-L.jpg

NEX-6 with kit wide/normal.
    DSC01348-L.jpg

NEX-6 with kit telephoto... Also extremely sharp (and light!)
    DSC01317-L.jpg
    edited January 6, 2014
    In comparison, the Canon SL1 with 40mm f2.8 pancake lens...

Canon sensors are still superior (IMHO) in low light/high ISO settings. That 40m pancake (~60mm equivalent) is tiny, very sharp, nice bokeh. This is a 3200 ISO image.

i-xDw3Fw3-L.jpg
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2014
    out of focus.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited January 9, 2014
    pfb wrote: »
    There are really quite a few excellent mirrorless and lower end DSLR's out there right now, and some very decent low cost 'kit lenses' to go with them... Much of the decision is personal preference or driven by some specific objectives.

I have several digital camera platforms that I use regularly, here are some thoughts.... Sorted most recent purchase to older.

Canon EOS SL1:
    I just picked this up a few weeks ago, and I'm really liking it. Here's what I like and don't like about it:
    • Sets new standard in small size/compactness in a true digital SLR with a APS-C size sensor. It's about as small as most M4/3 cameras and still gives me a big sensor.
    • *Very* compact package when combined with the extremely sharp Canon 40mm 2.8 STM lens
    • Great low-light sensor performance
    • Compatible the EOS lenses I already have and use with my 40D (see below)
    • Familiar Canon handling, though I miss the second jog dial
    • At $370 for the body (holiday pricing), a bargain!
    The kit 18-55mm lens that is available is supposed to be quite sharp. I have some Canon L glass in that focal range so i didn't get the kit lens.
    Sony NEX-6
    Had this guy about a year. It takes phenomenal pictures Here's what I like and don't like about it.
    • Small and light! Not that big of a deal when you are shooting soccer games from a minivan, but it was much appreciated when hauling gear down the Amazon or up Machu picchu
    • Big sensor, similar to Canon APS-C in size.
    • Can use my older Leica M-mount lenses with this camera. Focus peaking and the EVF make it a joy to use with rangefinder or other legacy lenses.
    • Fantastic image quality
    • Autofocus is slower than Canon.
    • Electronic viewfinder is extremely good, though still not quite as good as the optical viewfinders in the best DSLR's
    • Battery life is so-so. When I travel, I carry three batteries and an external charger.
    • Menu functions are clunky, but you get used to it (sort of)
    • Handling is a bit clunky, but again, you sort of get used to it.
    Canon 40D
    This camera is getting a bit long in the tooth, but the handling of the semi-pro canons is just second nature to me. It is *still* the camera that is easiest and most instinctive for me to use.
    • Very fast autofocus
    • "Enough" megapixels for almost anything I do
    • Big, bright viewfinder
    • Canon L glass is heavy, but takes wonderful images
    My advice? For most people, mirrorless. The only reason to consider a DSLR these days is if one or more of these applies to you:
    • Already have SLR lenses
    • Already familiar with SLR handling
    • Like to shoot fast sports with long lenses (DSLR focus is typically much faster and frame rates higher)
    • Rarely shoot in A, P, or some auto mode (and need a camera that lets you instinctually change shutter speed, aperture, ISO, focus mode, etc)
    • Do a fair amount of low light photography
    Even if some of the above do apply to you, it doesn't rule out mirrorless... It just makes the decision a bit harder.

For mirrorless, I really like the Sony NEX for its big sensor and compatibility with tons of lenses, but there are lots of good mirrorless options. I would *only* consider mirrorless cameras with an electronic view finder for any sort of serious or semi-serious photography.

If I had a spare few grand, the Sony A7R with a few Ziess lenses would be on my short list, but that isn't really what you are looking for.

My top two quick-picks for you, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these...

81ZCXNdYmVL._SL500_.jpg
    Sony NEX6with 16-50mm Zoom Lens and 55-210mm Lens, $964

61ZTdpFRO3L._SL500_.jpg
    Canon EOS Rebel SL1 with 18-55mm Lens + Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Lens, $705

Hi pfb! My apologies for the late response. This week has been a tad bit crazy for me!

Thank you so much for your input and your recommendations! I truly appreciate it! thumb.gif

Over the holidays, I actually did narrow my decision down (I think) to going Mirrorless. Your input, experience and current price tag on the Sony NEX6 & kit lens is quite tempting, however, despite my budget & the price tag for its body alone, I think I am really leaning toward the Sony A7. I was able to get my hands on one and test it out at the Sony Store here in Vegas, and it just felt so lightweight & perfect in my hands. With the right lenses, I think this will be the perfect camera for me to start off with and that will suit my current photography needs. Which brings me to my next question...

For you (especially since you mentioned you would get the Sony A7R) or for anyone else that can throw in their suggestions, if I go with the Sony A7, what are some of the best lenses that you can recommend that I can start off with for this camera? With my budget, I most likely will only be able to buy one lens at this point (depending on the price tag) with an adapter (if needed), therefore, in your opinion, what would be a good starter lens for me? A lens that I can shoot "most" things with at this point?

Thank you in advance! And to anyone else as well who can give me any input on this!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited January 9, 2014
    ... if I go with the Sony A7, what are some of the best lenses that you can recommend that I can start off with for this camera? With my budget, I most likely will only be able to buy one lens at this point (depending on the price tag) with an adapter (if needed), therefore, in your opinion, what would be a good starter lens for me? A lens that I can shoot "most" things with at this point?

I believe that you will find, and it is my experience, that the zoom lenses which cover a wide zoom range are not the best image quality. Generally, fast (f2.8), constant aperture lenses which cover a 3x zoom range tend to yield the best image quality. They also tend to be the highest prices too.

On a limited budget and looking at dSLRs, I strongly suggest spending most of the budget on lenses and lighting, and purchasing a used camera body to start with. Camera bodies tend to lose a considerable amount of their value over time, where good and best quality lenses hold more of their value over time.

I am most familiar with Canon camera products, so the following are from that perspective.

For instance, an older Canon 5D (full-frame body) is available through KEH.com for around $599USD in "EX" condition and with a 6 month warranty. Compared to a new or used Sony a7 body that would yield around $1000 - $1200USD more budget available to spend on the lens and light component of your budget.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DC029990897980?r=FE

For a "standard zoom" Canon lens, I can suggest an older Canon EF 28-70mm, f2.8L USM, which yields very nice event images as well as some types of landscapes and street images.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-EOS-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-CE07999013596J?r=FE

Add a Canon Speedlite and DIY modifier for event and simple portaiture and you're on your way in professional, full-frame photography.

Then, just update and add to your equipment as budget allows. (Be prepared to invest a considerable amount over time. mwink.gif)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2014
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Generally, fast (f2.8), constant aperture lenses which cover a 3x zoom range tend to yield the best image quality. They also tend to be the highest prices too.

On a limited budget and looking at dSLRs, I strongly suggest spending most of the budget on lenses and lighting, and purchasing a used camera body to start with. Camera bodies tend to lose a considerable amount of their value over time, where good and best quality lenses hold more of their value over time.

I would definitely second this advice- look for f2.8 or better apeture lenses in your price range. I use a tamron all around zoom as my walk around lens but I always appreciate the quality of pics I take with my 2.8 when I zoom in. Also don't forget the other aspect that he mentioned which the rest of this thread has overlooked- lighting! At one point I was seriously considering purchasing Nikons mirrorless camera but when they told me it used a proprietary flash that was a deal breaker, I use too many different flashes for cave pics and need the camera to work with all of them :)
    I went with an olympus and was very happy with the results though I still use my Canon DLSR for most pics its nice to have a smaller setup to carry around all the time.(oh and the water proof housing was a fraction of the cost for one to fit my dslr)
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited March 26, 2014
    Give me a month - I'm heading to Tanzania on Jan 21.

Andy, looking forward to seeing your photos from Tanzania. Will they be in the wildlife forum?

Thanks,
    Gretchen
    edited March 27, 2014
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Andy, looking forward to seeing your photos from Tanzania. Will they be in the wildlife forum?

Thanks,
    Gretchen

lol3.gif I'm 4 months behind in processing.... here are several, go to this link and click the right arrow for about 5 or 6 more.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153841026475235&set=a.204104355234.261166.500035234&type=3&theater
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited March 27, 2014
    lol3.gif I'm 4 months behind in processing.... here are several, go to this link and click the right arrow for about 5 or 6 more.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153841026475235&set=a.204104355234.261166.500035234&type=3&theater

Thanks, Andy. Impressive results! (Taken with the Panasonic GH3 Mirrorless?) Love your capture of the Lilac Breasted Roller.
    edited March 27, 2014
    Thanks, Andy. Impressive results! (Taken with the Panasonic GH3 Mirrorless?) Love your capture of the Lilac Breasted Roller.
    Yes
  • DianneDianne Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2014
    Travel kit suggestions plus Africa wildlife kit

Fascinating discussion. I'm trying to decide on a lightweight travel gear kit - don't want to carry my d7100 or d600 plus lenses on most trips - where subjects are people & places.
    right now - the Oly M1 is in the lead. Also looking at the Sony A6000.

but, Andy, I'm off to Tanzania/Rwanda in September. where do I go to find out what gear you took on that trip?? I'm taking the DSLRs and several lenses. my current longest is the new Nikon 80-400. Two friends have the new Tamron 150-600 and are very impressed. The Sigma 150-500 has also been suggested. I could also rent the Nikon 200-400 f/4.

Opinions, please.
  • siaksiak Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 21, 2014
    rachelmedina

The advice I would give myself (if I were just starting out today) about gear is to buy a Fuji x100s. It is an amazing travel camera and would suit your travel needs to be small and light. Very strong IQ from a small package. And it will force you to adapt and develop your skills to a fixed 35mm field of view (fixed 23mm lens on a APS-C cropped sensor).

And as you need more specific gear for portraiture work or landscape/architecture work, buy an interchangeable lens system (DSLR or mirrorless) that suits your needs.
    edited July 22, 2014
    Dianne wrote: »
    Fascinating discussion. I'm trying to decide on a lightweight travel gear kit - don't want to carry my d7100 or d600 plus lenses on most trips - where subjects are people & places.
    right now - the Oly M1 is in the lead. Also looking at the Sony A6000.

but, Andy, I'm off to Tanzania/Rwanda in September. where do I go to find out what gear you took on that trip?? I'm taking the DSLRs and several lenses. my current longest is the new Nikon 80-400. Two friends have the new Tamron 150-600 and are very impressed. The Sigma 150-500 has also been suggested. I could also rent the Nikon 200-400 f/4.

Opinions, please.

If you own the m43s system, why not take the 100-300 Panasonic, giving you a 200-600 zoom reach.

If you're going to take your Nikon DSLR, then the 80-400 (newest version) is really good. The 200-400 VRII from NIkon is AMAZING. Either can be rented very reasonably from http://borrowlenses.com

I use all sorts of combinations.
    Last Feb, to Tanzania 2weeks, I only used 2 m43s cameras (Pany Gh3 and GX7) and Pany 12-35, 35-100 and 100-300 lenses (giving me 24-600mm focal length). I didn't miss a shot.

I'm headed back to Africa in January 2015, and I'll bring

- Nikon D810 with Nikon 200-400 VRII

- Panasonic GX-7 m43s Mirroless with 24-70 and 70-200 Equivalents.
    edited July 22, 2014
    Thanks, Andy. Impressive results! (Taken with the Panasonic GH3 Mirrorless?)

Yes nod.gif
  • DianneDianne Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2014
    If you own the m43s system, why not take the 100-300 Panasonic, giving you a 200-600 zoom reach.

If you're going to take your Nikon DSLR, then the 80-400 (newest version) is really good. The 200-400 VRII from NIkon is AMAZING. Either can be rented very reasonably from http://borrowlenses.com

I use all sorts of combinations.
    Last Feb, to Tanzania 2weeks, I only used 2 m43s cameras (Pany Gh3 and GX7) and Pany 12-35, 35-100 and 100-300 lenses (giving me 24-600mm focal length). I didn't miss a shot.

I'm headed back to Africa in January 2015, and I'll bring

- Nikon D810 with Nikon 200-400 VRII

- Panasonic GX-7 m43s Mirroless with 24-70 and 70-200 Equivalents.

Thank you - this is very helpful.

I'm just now getting the Oly M1 to use for non-big deal trips & events, so won't be confident enough to take it as a main system to Africa, but..............you've got me thinking.

The reason for considering the Tamy 150-600 or the similar Sigma is weight - just trying to lighten the load. Renting the Nikon 200-400 VRII is certainly an option; they're just big and heavy even though great lenses. I had a first version 200-400 and loved it for shooting except for the weight.

I own the new 80-400, a 70-200 VRII, 24-70 f2.8, and the 18-200 & 18-300.

sounds like you stick to Nikon lenses for your DSLR work.
  • 360productphotographer360productphotographer Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 20, 2014
    I would point you towards an entry level DSLR. Your photography is already great as many have mentioned. I think you could be quite dangerous with an entry level DSLR (like the Canon Rebel T3 or T5, Nikon D3200 or even an entry level SOny DSLR - although i havent tested Sony DSLR's personally, I have ready many reviews and they are pretty remarkable cameras from my understanding.
  • Matt518Matt518 Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2014
    rachelmedina, it looks like it has been a while since you have logged in, but if you happen to see this, what did you finally decide on getting?
    Please do not copy, edit, rehost or repost my images without permission.

We must look at it. We're required to look at it. We are required to do what we can about it. If we don't........who will? - James Nachtwey