5D Mark III - First 24 Hours Review (post yours here!)

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Not sure how many of you have seen this but Canon Rumors is stating that there may be a recall of the 5D III - no reason specified:
    http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/04/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-recall/

They also said there will be a 7D Mark II, and then next day said no 7D MkII, but instead no more 7D, only a 70D, and end of line for the 'super rebel' 60D.

I suggest boulders of salt with that website
  • CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    Just got my new 5D III kit. ALO / DLO / IOU ?
    yeah so... I Just NOW, 10 minutes ago... got my new 5D III kit... woohoo... love that new car smell...
    Tell me... is $4,149.00 delivered overnight a great price or ?

I've been reading this thread & wow there is so much info, shots & input, I appreciate all of you & your experience. Thats said; even though i have been shooting digital since '99 I am still a greenhorn when it comes to setting things (workflow, camera, etc) up the right way. I have only been using PS aggressively for about a year & thanks to Video toots I am getting along pretty well... I actually created my 1st ACTION & ran my 1st BATCH the other day... what an eye opener that was...
    BUT... On this thread I am reading ALO, DLO and about workflow but it is scattered at best. I'm lost...
    What about the software that comes with the camera?

So here is my sitchy-yation... I use LR4, I copy all my CR2's to DNG on import. but from this conversation it seems I am missing something. Do any of you already have or know of a thread on workflow...

One other thing... I have heard these new cameras often come with dirty sensors... can any of you speak to that?
    and what about cleaning the sensor? I have an Arctic Butterfly... what do you use?

thanks in advance

I wanna be like you guys when I grow up....haha thumb.gif
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    Reading more into the thread that prompted this recall headline, it seems that Buydig and Beach Camera reportedly told customers that their orders were switched from sending out to being put on hold due to having to ship their entire inventory of 5D III's to Canon.
    Bunch of essentially anonymous posts on CanonRumors and POTN...
    edited April 12, 2012
    From CR: *UPDATE 2*
    We have confirmed new firmware for the 5D Mark III that addresses a few issues is coming very soon. Cameras could get held back for this reason. The firmware will for sure address the 200 f/2L IS and 800 f/5.6L IS issues.
    I changed the title of this post from “recall” to “stock delayed”.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    Just got my MKIII body. SMEXY. Not the outside, I'm used to that. Its all about the insides deal.gif

iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.giflustiloveyou.giflustiloveyou.giflust

And now to hear of the issues, lol.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited April 12, 2012
    Only one retailer has been "delayed," and that is BuyDig. There could be a lot of reasons for this. Now, if Amazon won't ship them, then that is a litmus test for a hold or a delay. Have any of you been called by your retailer asking for you to ship the camera back? (recall) B&H and Adorama are closed for the next few days, so there will be no news from them about this. There are 2 lenses that won't work with the cam at all, and DPP is known to be defective. My guess is Canon has to stop a situation where reviews might go sour because of this. Fix and repack?

All I can say is this delay, if real, will keep my money safe in the bank for a while longer. And that's never a bad thing.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    Based on your earlier description it sounded like you only noticed this when comparing against your 5D2, is that right? Because I haven't noticed this while just shooting my 5D3, and I have been shooting indoors, at night, ISO 4000 and such. Just like when viewing prints, I think any differences that you don't notice unless you're doing a side-by-side A-B comparison are insignificant.

Actually, I did notice the slight delay without side-by-side comparison, especially when trying to lock focus in extremely low light. My main camera was not a 5D mk2; I'm coming from a D700 and comparing the 5D mk3 to *BOTH* the mk2 and the D700.

More importantly, the guys at the studio who have been shooting on the mk2 for years have said that they too noticed the slight hesitance, in extremely low light.

Again like I said, it's still a huge leap forward, but something tells me we haven't heard the end of this...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    By the way, to the OP, Josh, your shots are awesome. I've been enjoying them.
    Was this an in-camera HDR? I like it.
    http://clients.joshmartinezphotography.com/photos/i-bdm6Q6X/3/L/i-bdm6Q6X-L.jpg

Yes, in camera HDR. Art Standard.
    edited April 13, 2012
    Cowboydoug wrote: »
    I have only been using PS aggressively for about a year & thanks to Video toots I am getting along pretty well... I actually created my 1st ACTION & ran my 1st BATCH the other day... what an eye opener that was...
    BUT... On this thread I am reading ALO, DLO and about workflow but it is scattered at best. I'm lost...
    What about the software that comes with the camera?

Here's my advice: Shoot for in-camera perfect images. Forget photoshop. You'll be a better photog for it. Shoot MRAW + S1 JPEG and use the in-camera profiles to get your shot the way you want it. Play with ALO and see what you like best. Except for paid shoots, I have been shooting JPEG only with my 5D3 lately. It's incredible. No other camera has delivered the consistent results needed for this type of shooting. Massive time savings! Just open the JPG's in Photomechanic, flag your faves, and share on Smugmug and Facebook. The S1 file size is only around 2-3MB. Good enough for 16x20's, and fast for web uploading.
    edited April 13, 2012
    Here's my advice: Shoot for in-camera perfect images. Forget photoshop. You'll be a better photog for it. Shoot MRAW + S1 JPEG and use the in-camera profiles to get your shot the way you want it. Play with ALO and see what you like best. Except for paid shoots, I have been shooting JPEG only with my 5D3 lately. It's incredible. No other camera has delivered the consistent results needed for this type of shooting. Massive time savings! Just open the JPG's in Photomechanic, flag your faves, and share on Smugmug and Facebook. The S1 file size is only around 2-3MB. Good enough for 16x20's, and fast for web uploading.

Thanks,,, I'm old school.... cut my teeth on large format 4x5 & 8x10... and like you I have always shot for in camera perfect which is why I never played with PS until this last year... but I really am having fun with with it... anyway... I still have no idea what ALO is... I googled it and came up with (Animal Liberation Orchestra) I'm guessing the two aren';t connected.....lol
    I really had no idea you could produce a 16x20 from a 2-3mb file... I'm going to look into Photomechanic...

Sidebar.... the shutter on my new 5d III sounds very different from my II... anyone else notice a difference?
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
    edited April 13, 2012
    Here's a couple JPG's(S1) from my son's birthday party. As usual, very pleased with the skin tones and high-ISO handling. Tried out a new Canon camera profile "Emerald", really happy with the look. Reminds me of the Fuji X100, actually. I used this profile on the ski trip that I shared a few posts back as well.

Btw, the lighting in this indoor watermark is awful! Super dark, mixed color temps, just plain bad. The 5D3 AWB did an amazing job here, very impressed.

2500 ISO with 5D3, 24-70 and 600EX-RT w/1/4 CTO gel. ALO(Auto Lighting Optimizer) High, NR High.

i-n2HqfzX-XL.jpg

i-RzKB3vc-XL.jpg
    edited April 13, 2012
    Ah... The ole Auto lighting Optimizer trick... Thanks Josh...
    This camera sure isn't your moms old instamatic... Great skin in those...

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012

The new cameras come with a basic version of Photoshop integrated inside. Processing is done somewhere, it's just a question of which CPU is used imho.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    Yes, in camera HDR. Art Standard.

and hand-held it appears? I've been wondering about the hand-holding aspect of the in-camera HDR with potentially slightly-moving subjects and/or photographer.

and a shot like this one...also the same settings?

http://clients.joshmartinezphotography.com/Gallery/Photographers-Corner/Ski-Touring-the-Chugach-41012/22386570_WGzwNL#!i=1789429205&k=kvqT2zn
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

edited April 13, 2012
    chrisdg wrote: »
    and hand-held it appears? I've been wondering about the hand-holding aspect of the in-camera HDR with potentially slightly-moving subjects and/or photographer.

and a shot like this one...also the same settings?

http://clients.joshmartinezphotography.com/Gallery/Photographers-Corner/Ski-Touring-the-Chugach-41012/22386570_WGzwNL#!i=1789429205&k=kvqT2zn

Yes, all my in-camera HDR has been handheld so far. It auto-aligns with fairly reasonable accuracy, but you really do need a still subject.

The ski shot is not an HDR. Out of camera JPG(S1), Emerald profile with 6 Sharpening, ALO High.
  • nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    Just picked mine up thumb.gif
    Ill shoot some this weekend and post up some images and thoughts sunday night or monday.

All I have done so far is un box it and set the time and dates. I did notice something kinda weird. The thumb dial seems different? It makes a clicking noise when its rotated that the Mark2 did not make.
    Anyone else notice this?
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    For you Mark 3 owners, I just saw this on Petapixel.... may be of potential interest... apparently there is some amount of light leakage into the exposure system via the LCD... The little video at the end is the more-troubling one where sunlight is shown as leaking through.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/04/13/canon-confirms-light-leak-issue-in-the-5d-mark-iii
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited April 14, 2012
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    For you Mark 3 owners, I just saw this on Petapixel.... may be of potential interest... apparently there is some amount of light leakage into the exposure system via the LCD... The little video at the end is the more-troubling one where sunlight is shown as leaking through.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/04/13/canon-confirms-light-leak-issue-in-the-5d-mark-iii

Canon has advised that a real issue with the exposure system exists. More info here. So if you own one, they want you to immediately send in your owner registration card so they can officially inform you of... something. No one has reported that real photos have gone wrong because of this. Keep shooting. Be happy.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2012
    When I first heard this light leakage, I figured it was somehow the light on the image viewing LCD, you know the big one in the back. Actually, its the TOP LCD, the one with camera settings on it. And only when you are in the dark, and turn ON the light on the LCD. So this is completely controllable by you. As I posted on another thread, I can't remember the last time I used the LCD light up there.

But, if I paid +$3k for a camera, it damn well better be perfect.
    edited April 14, 2012
    Thanks for clarifying that cmason. I honestly have used the light on that lcd maybe 4 times in the past 3 years on my 50D. That being said, you're right about a $3500 camera body needing to be rock solid and tight...
    edited April 14, 2012
    On the MKII I used it all the time in the dark, especially when my mode dial got knocked or a control changed without my knowing (although now thats taken care of mwink.gif)
    edited April 14, 2012
    Check out the video at the end of the link that seems to indicate that sunshine hitting the LCD has a similar effect. It would be interesting to hear if any Mk3 owners here can replicate that problem.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2012
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Check out the video at the end of the link that seems to indicate that sunshine hitting the LCD has a similar effect. It would be interesting to hear if any Mk3 owners here can replicate that problem.

Andrew,
    we have it discussed about a week ago, when it first was discovered. I even posted this "sun on/off comparison shot:
    i-Pqsdwv6-XL.jpg

Basically the difference is around ~1/5th of the stop at ISO 100 during the day and sun over top LCD on/off, and about a full stop at ISO 25600 during the night and backlight on/off.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited April 14, 2012
    Boy Canon's gonna pay a lot for this. Sad!
    edited April 14, 2012
    Sorry, I missed it. Thanks, Nik.
    -a
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2012
    Yes, all my in-camera HDR has been handheld so far. It auto-aligns with fairly reasonable accuracy, but you really do need a still subject.

The ski shot is not an HDR. Out of camera JPG(S1), Emerald profile with 6 Sharpening, ALO High.

What do you mean when you say Emerald profile?
    I have never used the Canon software so I am guessing its a profile in there, not the camera?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited April 14, 2012
    nw scout wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say Emerald profile?
    I have never used the Canon software so I am guessing its a profile in there, not the camera?

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/picturestyle/file/emerald.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2012
    I did experience an "ERR 80" maybe is was 88 I didn't pay attention, just popped the battery and put it back in.

for those with more experience, is this typically a hardware or firmware fix to correct?
    edited April 15, 2012
    Here's some more 5D3 photos for my Dgrin amigos. Taken today on a short flight seeing trip up Mt. McKinley in Alaska. Shot with the 24-70 through old plexiglass windows. Emerald picture profile. ALO high. Custom WB in DPP, then converted to JPG.

Exif and more pics here: http://smu.gs/HKBWrl

JMP16067-X2.jpg

JMP16017-X2.jpg

JMP15708-X2.jpg
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2012
    Awesome stuff, Josh! thumb.gifclap.gifbow
    "May the f/stop be with you!"