Increase traffic to my site and productivity

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited July 17, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
okay, so i made my first 2 sales on my photos because i had an exhibit of some of my black and whites up in the local Coffeeshop, but i really wanna promote my site and selling from my site. how can i do it? while my exhibit was up i had a tray full of my business cards, with e-mail, name, and website on it. i also had 2 in the back of every print. but traffic to my site hasn't improved much. is there a way to track how many people come to your site? not just how many photos are viewed? but like i said, my main question is how do i promote my site and the fact that you can buy from my site. take a look at my prices and tell me if they're too much.

thanks,
Daniel
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    anyone?....
    Daniel Bauer

• mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    does your server use cpanel? if so then you have a wide arrar of stat options within cpanel. Awstats is great.

In all honesty the best way to promote your site is by just spreading the word as much as possible. Google for photography is pretty much impossible to do since its a huge huge topic. So you need to do it your self with business cards and other forms of advertising. Personally word of mouth for me has been amazing.
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

weapon of choice: Canon 40D
    BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    28-135mm IS USM f/3.5-5.6
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited July 9, 2006
    World Cup is on :D

Seriously, if you want better tracking, there are several articles on
    Google Analytics. As far a promoting your site, I haven't anything to
    offer other than what you are doing. You might look into ways to
    improve rankings, etc. but becareful how you do that.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    Create a blog. Create accounts at all of the major blogging sites. MySpace, LiveJournal, et. al.

Then post to photo communities. Participate. Answer questions. Establish yourself as a resource as well as an artist.

Then they will come. Trust me, they'll come.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    is there a way to track how many people come to your site?
    StatCounter!
    edited July 10, 2006
    cambler wrote:
    Create a blog. Create accounts at all of the major blogging sites. MySpace, LiveJournal, et. al.

Then post to photo communities. Participate. Answer questions. Establish yourself as a resource as well as an artist.

Then they will come. Trust me, they'll come.

sweet idea camblerthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer

edited July 14, 2006
    speaking of publicity about 2 nights ago we had a big lightining display well, i sent that first photo in to a weatherman for one of our local Fox news stations and he showed it on the air this morning and said he thought it was a great photograph. then he went on to state my website, spell it out, and even showed it at the bottom of his screen for the rest of the forecast!clap.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Ok first thing first. The 2 links under your smug mug acct don't work. Or at least they weren't as of 3:17 EST.

Now for the hard part. You need yo update your web page more often! I know this because I check your page frequently. I am always more interested in emerging artists than established ones because they are not usually jaded by what other people have told them that their art "should" be. As such I think your photography is more interesting than most of the established professionals. Can you tell I came from a family of artists and all but 2 of my friends are artists? So enough of my ramblings...

You want more traffic true but you want repeat viewers too. So you need to be constantly updating and adding new work. Then crazy middle aged women like me and my girlfriends will get excited to find out that you have an art opening in Indianapolis (or where ever) and load up the kids in the car to drive out to see the work and meet the artist.

Keep at the coffee shops, galleries, and museums. Give your card to EVERYBODY (heck they cost .02 each). When you take interesting pictures of a place drop off a copy to the owner with your card and thank them for allowing you to further your art.... Hmmm... I'm having coffee with the girlfriends tonight, I'll see if the "committee" has any ideas.

Kepp at it, your work too good to go unnoticed.
    Kat
    "Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
    Bill Brandt
    edited July 16, 2006
    Bakat wrote:
    Ok first thing first. The 2 links under your smug mug acct don't work. Or at least they weren't as of 3:17 EST.

Now for the hard part. You need yo update your web page more often! I know this because I check your page frequently. I am always more interested in emerging artists than established ones because they are not usually jaded by what other people have told them that their art "should" be. As such I think your photography is more interesting than most of the established professionals. Can you tell I came from a family of artists and all but 2 of my friends are artists? So enough of my ramblings...

You want more traffic true but you want repeat viewers too. So you need to be constantly updating and adding new work. Then crazy middle aged women like me and my girlfriends will get excited to find out that you have an art opening in Indianapolis (or where ever) and load up the kids in the car to drive out to see the work and meet the artist.

Keep at the coffee shops, galleries, and museums. Give your card to EVERYBODY (heck they cost .02 each). When you take interesting pictures of a place drop off a copy to the owner with your card and thank them for allowing you to further your art.... Hmmm... I'm having coffee with the girlfriends tonight, I'll see if the "committee" has any ideas.

Kepp at it, your work too good to go unnoticed.
    Kat

thanks alot Kat, i really appreciate the comments. fixed those linkies and i'm leaving to New Mexico on tuesday evening for 2 weeks so i'll have some new landscapse up by the time i get back.thumb.gif

what did the "committee" come up with?mwink.gif

thanks,
    Daniel
    Daniel Bauer

• BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    The "Committee" had to reschedule due to weather. 2 of the girls don't drive in storms (wimpy, wimpy, wimpy) But it's on the agenda for next weekend.

I'll let you know if they have any ideas.

Kat
    "Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
    Bill Brandt