Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2014
    I Finally Converted...
    A little late to the party, but here's my first pass: http://www.johnbrody.com

I look forward to any comments or opinions - All feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks much, John

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2014
    John, your "galleries" navigation on your homepage begins so far down the page that I wouldn't have known it was there if the page hadn't loaded in slowly. You might want to put that at the top.
  • ShinryaShinrya Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2014
    I think the first step for you will be to better organise all the content you have on the site. As it stands, There is little direction as to where to go.

I think your favorites gallery link should be your main portfolio page for the bulk of your content. That or break things up a little into separate folders i.e. landscapes, portraits, travel etc. Perhaps have a separate favourites gallery but minimise it to 10-15 of your best images.
    The slideshow feature might work better on your front page rather than as a separate link. You should set that up so that only your strongest images show.

'Challenge Winners' folder, some really great shots in here, but no context as to what the 'challenge winners' actually is?
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited June 30, 2014
    Brody wrote: »
    I would agree with thenickdude's comment that the only reason I saw the galleries section on the home page is that the top part of the page was slow to paint.

If you want the sampling of photos on your home page I would recommend moving the galleries section to a different page. As it is your menu entries don't give your viewer a way to jump into your galleries.

It appears that the slideshow and favorites gallery in your menu go to the same gallery. I'd recommend one menu entry for that gallery, not two. Take the viewer to the gallery, then assume they will use the slideshow button if they want to see a slideshow. Also, you might consider changing the background color of the slideshow button to make it more visible.

--- Denise
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2014

Thanks much, John

I see a bunch of photos on your homepage but have no idea what they are. I first thought they would
    open in lightbox but upon clicking they go to a gallery. If these are links to your different galleries might
    put the gallery name on each.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2014
    Thank you all for your feedback. It's very much appreciated.

I agree with all of your comments on my galleries completely. The reason they are pretty much hidden is because over the years they have become a jumbled mix of client galleries, drafts and simple raw storage; definitely not General Public friendly. Now that my travel has slowed, I'll have time to organize the presentable, and remove the rest.

My goal with this first pass was to get a feel for the customization and a bit CSS. I didn't know what a Content Block was until a couple days ago. I'm still trying to figure out how to do one of those nifty semi-translucent hovering sidebar Header/Menu combination boxes... Any tips?

As always Denise, your advice is right on target. One of the things you mentioned is an item I've been trying to find a how-to on. I'd like to make the slideshow button a simple translucent white, but I haven't figured out how yet - Any suggestions? Also would like to have a contact screen pretty much like the one you have, straightforward and clean. I'm sure it's right there in front of me in the support section, but I'm not finding it.

Thanks again for all of your comments. John

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited June 30, 2014
    Denise ...would like to have a contact screen pretty much like the one you have, straightforward and clean. I'm sure it's right there in front of me in the support section, but I'm not finding it.
    that's the standard smug contact form. See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1248294-can-i-create-a-contact-page-.

--- Denise
  • trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2014

Thanks much, John

You have a broken image on the Contact Me window. Personally, I like the blog page to look/feel like your website (similar font particularly in the company name, layout, etc).
    edited July 7, 2014
    OK... so looking at some of the sites posted made me revamp mine again. I went completely different with this one. I've had a white/light site with the legacy smug and also when I converted to new smug. This time I went dark. I also added a slideshow to my homepage; my old homepage was very similar to the new portfolio page. Still not sure I want to keep it that way. If I change it, my home page would basically be the portfolio page. I also made some minor tweaks to my other pages.

Would love some feedback. Well, here is the site: http://www.alexsotelophotography.com/

Quick comment...I would mirror some of the images on the homepage slideshow so that the left menu bar does not block the subject, and more of the empty space is on the left side.
  • fuguefugue Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2014
    Cull, cull, cull
    troopers wrote: »
    Quick comment...I would mirror some of the images on the homepage slideshow so that the left menu bar does not block the subject, and more of the empty space is on the left side.

John,

You have some beautiful shots, but there are too many to really appreciate. I think a good gallery size is between 10 and 20 shots - sure, there may be exceptions, but they are exceptions. I looked at many of your photographs and it looks like you carefully work on each one. To keep your audience looking, may I suggest you cull down to the really best shots.
    Bill Hough
    Bonita Photos
    Capturing the beauty around us

http://www.bonitaphotos.com
  • Mark LedinghamMark Ledingham Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2014
    I've been redesigning my website with the latest version of Smugmug's software, and I think it's just great! It certainly has given m greater reason to continue with Smugmug. And, although, work needs to be done - please take a look at http://www.markledingham.com to leave any comments. Thanks!
    All the best from northern Norway,
    Mark Ledingham

Please visit Mark Ledingham Photography ...You might just like it!
    edited July 18, 2014
    Hi Mark! I love the way your photos are organised, very tidy.

Did you realise that you have the shopping cart enabled on some galleries at cost-price? It's at least enabled in the landscape gallery.
    edited July 18, 2014
    please take a look at http://www.markledingham.com to leave any comments.
    Overall your site looks good but one thing jumped out at me. I would suggest that you remove the smug footer. The copyright and login will stay (although there are customizations to remove them), the rest has nothing to do with your site and potentially leads your viewers away from your site.

--- Denise
    edited July 18, 2014
    Hi Mark! I love the way your photos are organised, very tidy.

Did you realise that you have the shopping cart enabled on some galleries at cost-price? It's at least enabled in the landscape gallery.

Hey, Nicholas, thanks so much for your great comments. And thanks, too, for warning me about the shopping carts. I've disabled these now. Do I understand correctly that only those with professional Smugmug sites can adjust image prices?
    Mark Ledingham

edited July 18, 2014
    Overall your site looks good but one thing jumped out at me. I would suggest that you remove the smug footer. The copyright and login will stay (although there are customizations to remove them), the rest has nothing to do with your site and potentially leads your viewers away from your site.

--- Denise

Hi Denise,
    Wonderful suggestion! Thank you so much, now I have removed the footer. thumb.gif
    Mark Ledingham

edited July 18, 2014
    Do I understand correctly that only those with professional Smugmug sites can adjust image prices?

Yeah, that ability begins at the Portfolio account level, I believe:

http://www.smugmug.com/features
  • LemansLemans Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2014
    Leman's Studios
    my site...

www.lemansstudios.com

Thanks!
    Leman's Studios
  • macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2014
    Lemans wrote: »
    my site...

www.lemansstudios.com

Thanks!

Lee

You have some very strong images, but overall I think you are displaying far too many of them. Each photo section seems to have a considerable number and on my slowish internet line it takes ages to scroll down. But even with a fast line your viewers probably only need to see 10-15 shots for each category. Once in a photo category I don't have a reference point as to where I am or how to get to other sections of photos. For example here's one of my photo sections and if you want to change to another you can just hover on the left side menu and go there. With yours I have to press home and reselect http://www.macromeister.co.uk/Images/Kitchen/

Not sure about that background image. It makes reading text (such as your profile) quite difficult. The keyword ball is also pretty difficult to read. Perhaps something plainer?

Overall I'm getting the impression that the visual volume needs to be turned down.

Pick some of your best images for each photo section and just display those, and use a plainer background and I think it would be much better. Just my opinion - others might disagree.
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • mbridge87mbridge87 Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2014
    Been working a long time on this and would love opinions.

http://www.maxbridge.co.uk/

I've got a few more things to do but for the most part I'm done. If you'd like to look at a client gallery there's one called "test event" which has a password "test1".

All I need to do now is:

1) add photo of myself to about me page
    2) make social media icons go somewhere useful
    3) create blog...I'm thinking wordpress unless there are any other suggestions.
  • captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2014
    mbridge87 wrote: »

I've got a few more things to do but for the most part I'm done. If you'd like to look at a client gallery there's one called "test event" which has a password "test1".

All I need to do now is:

looks good- the things you've already listed as "to do" are all I would suggest off hand. I really like wordpress as a blogging platform- was hosting my own till I got tired of maintaining the sql database so now I just use wordpress dot com I just use the free version but they have paid options so you can remove their ads use custom domain etc.
  • rozzerrozzer Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2014
    Hiya, would appreciate some feedback on my site, www.rozgreening.com , I mainly do event photography and as you will see it's mostly dogs! so I do prefer to post the galleries on the homepage so punters can see them easily - but am open to suggestions as to how I can improve the layout and improvements on navigation
    many thanks for looking.
    edited August 21, 2014
    rozzer wrote: »
    Hiya, would appreciate some feedback on my site, www.rozgreening.com , I mainly do event photography and as you will see it's mostly dogs! so I do prefer to post the galleries on the homepage so punters can see them easily - but am open to suggestions as to how I can improve the layout and improvements on navigation
    many thanks for looking.

Nice work!

I got lost under your Browse page...you have galleries to show off your work, such as your Portfolio & Landscapes galleries, and other galleries that are commissioned work (where one can purchase photos). I suggest you separate the two categories. Also, for your portfolio type work (where one can not purchase), I suggest you reduce the number of photos as there are too many photos (IMHO) and many are very similar...be very critical of your work and show quality not quantity.

Two small technical comments:

1. Remove the "Powered by SmugMug Log In" at the bottom of each page
    2. The pages seem to have a different color/background...I would make them consistent.
    edited August 21, 2014

All I need to do now is:

Looks great...love the simple, clean presentation of your site. I would move the Client Galleries and the FAQ links to the top header where the other links are. It was odd and felt out of place that these links were at the bottom of every page.
    edited August 21, 2014
    QUOTE=troopers;1965879]Nice work!

I got lost under your Browse page...you have galleries to show off your work, such as your Portfolio & Landscapes galleries, and other galleries that are commissioned work (where one can purchase photos). I suggest you separate the two categories. Also, for your portfolio type work (where one can not purchase), I suggest you reduce the number of photos as there are too many photos (IMHO) and many are very similar...be very critical of your work and show quality not quantity.

Two small technical comments:

1. Remove the "Powered by SmugMug Log In" at the bottom of each page
    2. The pages seem to have a different color/background...I would make them consistent.[/QUOT

Thank you , will have a look at shedding similar pics,
    Yes would love to get rid of powered by smugmug. , will search for a thread to do that
    Thx for your time
  • Sir_EagleSir_Eagle Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2014
    Thank you , will have a look at shedding similar pics,
    Yes would love to get rid of powered by smugmug. , will search for a thread to do that
    Thx for your time

Rozzer, the link in your sig is not a valid link.
    It's pointed to "http://www.dgrin.com/www.rozgreening.com" instead of "www.rozgreening.com"
    edited August 22, 2014
    Sir_Eagle wrote: »
    Rozzer, the link in your sig is not a valid link.
    It's pointed to "http://www.dgrin.com/www.rozgreening.com" instead of "www.rozgreening.com"
    Thanks ! hope it works now
  • Sir_EagleSir_Eagle Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2014
    Thanks ! hope it works now

It does.
  • sabrefansabrefan Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 4, 2014
    Just go to Wufoo and get a free account it's pretty easy to incorporate into smugmug.
  • mbridge87mbridge87 Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2014
    Hi all,

Thanks for your comments and feedback on my site.

I found this article on fstoppers.com a while back about free user testing. I did it and some weren't great but others gave some useful insights. You get three free per month. Here's a link:

http://peek.usertesting.com/

Hope that's useful for some of you
  • CarolRCarolR Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 6, 2014

All I need to do now is:

Max, your site looks just fantastic! Very professional, clean, easy to navigate and all topped off with wonderful images. It makes me wish I had some little kids and lived in England ... I'd be calling you for a family shoot! The only thing I found even slightly confusing is the frequent reference to the "Your Shoot" section, when it's actually titled the "Shoot Guide". Best of luck with your photo biz!