band kids

PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
edited June 9, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Lurker with a first post here.

My son is in the high school band and I have been the "official photographer" for a few years now. Just set them up with their own Smugmug page and linked to school website.

These are a couple of my favorites from this past year. The kids are so used to me hanging around and pointing a camera in their face they either ignore me, or mug for me. Both are fun. My youngest will be a freshman this fall and plays trumpet, so at least 4 more years for me.

739821800_DF5iD-M.jpg

692703677_sR67X-M.jpg

Thought these worked much better in color than converting to BW. Not sure if they are people or PJ, but thought I'd start here.

Thanks,

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Cave Creek, no kidding Sony B's home :D

I enjoy #1 thumb.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Lurker with a first post here.

My son is in the high school band and I have been the "official photographer" for a few years now. Just set them up with their own Smugmug page and linked to school website.

These are a couple of my favorites from this past year. The kids are so used to me hanging around and pointing a camera in their face they either ignore me, or mug for me. Both are fun. My youngest will be a freshman this fall and plays trumpet, so at least 4 more years for me.

[
    Thought these worked much better in color than converting to BW. Not sure if they are people or PJ, but thought I'd start here.

Thanks,

Both very nice - PJ - nice color. Nice composition in 1, and great expression in 2. Two I wish I saw more of the baton, and wasn't wondering if she was going to get wacked in the head. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Agreed--Love the expression on #2 clap.gif.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Welcome to our forum. Nice job on your first post.

I really like the first shot. I cannot think of how you could have improved this capture and it shows the scene beautifully.

Second is good, but I am not sure it is framed as well. With what you have, I would consider a square crop to eliminate the left side.

Looking forward to more from you!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 8, 2010
    Welcome to the asylum wave.gif. Great expression in #2 and really nice light in #1. Keep posting. thumb.gif
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Thanks,
    Richard wrote: »
    Welcome to the asylum wave.gif. Great expression in #2 and really nice light in #1. Keep posting. thumb.gif

Yes, Sonny is a local "celebrity" that occasionally wanders around town. Much more gentile these days, but still a good party here now and then.

Thanks for the comments. I used a rear curtain sync on the night shot to open up the background.

Agree with comments on #2, but it was a quick grab as I was shooting and trying not to get in the way. Might try the square crop, but kind of like the negative space that shows her environment. Another one that showed the baton in the air was too far back so I liked this one focusing on her expression instead. That joyous smile made the picture for me.

I'll post some more and take inspiration from you PJ folks and get out there on the street.

Jeff