Options

Senior shots of my son, round 1

StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
edited November 7, 2014 in People
My son pleased me to no end when he said he wanted me to do his senior pictures--what fun! Here are some shots from our first session out. I'd love some feedback so that i can refine what I do the next time round. No skin work or clothes retouching has been done yet--it was a very, very windy and blustery day with patchy sun and the constant threat of sprinkles. My son's skin turns ruddy in the wind--I'd love to know how much skin smoothing is typically done with guys. Any hints would be most welcome.

Here you go!

Jonathan%20Senior%20Pics%20Shevlin%20%284%20of%2018%29-L.jpg

Jonathan%20Senior%20Pics%20Shevlin%20%2811%20of%2018%29-L.jpg

Jonathan%20Senior%20Pics%20Shevlin%20%2816%20of%2018%29-L.jpg

Jonathan%20Senior%20Pics%20Shevlin%20%2817%20of%2018%29-L.jpg

Jonathan%20Senior%20Pics%20Shevlin%20Nik%20%281%20of%201%29-L.jpg

Jonathan%20Senior%20Pics%20Shevlin%20%287%20of%2018%29-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2014
    Great pictures , well done. However I have a few remarks:

Picture 1: If you move a bit to the right then the tree would have been free standing. It is in most cases beter to avoid trees and other objects behind peoples heads.

Picture 4: Strange to see the feet cut-off, there are many compositions head/torso/ 3 quarters/ half body/ American plane and full body.... this one neither one.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2014
    D3S, thank you! You hit on two of the things I wish I could change. Honestly, there was nowhere for me to go to the right, but I wish I could have--I wished it at the time. In many of these shots we standing in among the bushes and reeds along the river--it was a fun adventure!

And the missing feet was something I scolded myself about after the fact. What a dumb thing to miss! Especially because I liked the shot overall. Could I get to a better composition by cropping? If so, where do I cut across the legs?

Next time we will be able to bring along his girlfriend. I'm going to ask her to hold my reflector (she wasn't available this time) and to help me watch for just those kind of details.

I have another question. My son is very tall and broad shouldered. What kind of shot could I take which highlghts this? Next shoot will be in town in casual clothes.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2014
    a guy who can pull off a trilby, at last! :D

in the first one, I think i'd approach it completely different. I'd have him move to left, stand square to the camera, and give me a Chicago gangster type of a look.

Love the last two.
    Very Gosling-ish look. :)
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2014
    Well I can't wait to tell my son someone even mentioned Gosling in connection with him! ;) I have always been pleased that my son enjoys dapper clothes--not only does he love a stylish hat, but those ties are vintage. They were his grandfather's. For his birthday, he will be receiving his first tailored-to-fit suit; I finally think he is done growing enough to move away from off-the-rack.

Thanks for the comment, Foques! I might have just the gangster picture you are looking for among the other shots--I'll check when I get home! I don't think the lighting was quite as fine (the clouds were moving quickly), but maybe I can make up for that a bit in processing.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2014
    Very well done. Love the leading lines in some, the processing and posing, the angles all well done. #1 would be the one I like the least and like the little smirk.
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2014
    All are very nicely done! You've nailed the lighting, which is something I'm struggling with. while I agree with the comments others have posted about the feet and trees, I like all of them!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2014
    Thank you, everyone! I respect all of your work very much, so I am grateful for the kind comments. I feel much better about doing the pictures now! I'll post the second round when I get them shot--you've all been very helpful.

Hackbone, I can take credit for some of the things you list, but not the posing. Only rarely did I offer a suggestion to my son about how to pose in a given spot--usually I told him where I wanted to try for a shot, because of the shape of a bush or the leading lines or the light, and then he'd pop in there and do something interesting with his body angle and his hands and his gaze (and his hat). Who knew?
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2014
    Sure, there are nits, but overall I love EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE. You have a lovely son, you've captured a lot of character, and the location, light and "vibe" is absolutely lovely. Well done!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2014
    Thank you, Diva! Coming from you, that means a lot!
  • Options
    alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2014
    I loved most the one and then five. All are good but one is somehow standouts more
    Alex
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2014
    Thank you, Alex. I know that #1 is odd as a senior portrait, and that it could have benefited from a step to the right, but I also love it. So it pleases me that you like it as well.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2014
    really good stuff here..yeah some nits but hardly worth mentioning. your son is very handsome and his posing is very natural looking..the scenery blends perfectly..what's not to like?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2014
    Thank you, Qarik! I appreciate the comments and the compliment. Hoping to do some more shots this weekend!