Whibal vs. African Grey Parrot (Pics)

dychuidychui Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited September 5, 2010 in Accessories
What provides better white balance, the Whibal Card by Michael Tapes or an African Grey parrot named Meddy? This question remains a source of contention and division among digital photographers. Today I hope to shed light on this age-old mystery.

I will reveal which photo is which at the end of the post.

992089971_b88LS-O.jpg

There are two main camps of thought:

The Whibal has several distinct advantages to an African Grey parrot named Meddy.

* Portability
* No clean-up necessary
* Durability, can be used in a variety extreme weather conditions
* Consistent, regardless of the source of light provides accurate white balance
* Does not require semi-annual check-ups with Avian Veterinarian

While the Whibal is a convenient and extremely useful tool, it falls behind Meddy (TM) in several important categories:

* The Whibal provides little to no companionship.
* The Whibal cannot fly or lay eggs, or sing to you in the morning.
* The Whibal rarely regurgitates food for you

In all discussions of a retail product, price is always an important consideration. In this aspect, Whibal definitely pulls ahead. At $29.95 the Whibal is definitely more economical than an African Grey parrot, which can run you between $1000-$1500.

In conclusion: the Whibal has its shortcomings, but as a white-balance measure it has no rival in convenience and accuracy. While it does not provide the same camaraderie that characterizes the other white-balance instrument tested in this study, it is undoubtedly easy-to-use. Active volcanoes, turbulent shorelines, arctic gales: these are all examples of conditions in which Whibal surpasses Meddy in convenience and willing cooperativeness.

Though Meddy is a wonderful parrot and a great companion, I have serious reservations about using him in the field. I will keep both, for now, and will be doing more field-tests in the future.

992120946_qjak7-O.jpg

What are your thoughts?

- Daniel Chui

www.chewyphoto.com

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited September 2, 2010
    I have a spare Whibal that I'll trade you for Meddy. rolleyes1.gif
  • bbeck4x4bbeck4x4 Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    They may not work out in the field very well, but they do like to eat anything that you let get too close..

329536138_YuYu7-L-2.jpg
    Brian Beck
    Spanish Fork, Utah 84660- 360 Virtual Tours - Landscapes
    Google + Facebook Website
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    If you can get the parrot to remember and say the hyperfocal distances of your lenses it's a real winner :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    rolleyes1.gifD
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    :Drolleyes1.gif

I just had a flashback to my childhood, when photographers would say "Watch the dickybird!" Was this fabled bird actually 40% gray and carried around, though I never did manage to watch it, by all photographers of the time to set wb? And have they become extinct now there is Whibal?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    Sorry, but I will take the Whibal every time. Less chance of it pooping on my models or the setup. rolleyes1.gif

Plus the Whibal is quieter and doesn't need to be fed. wings.gif

Cute bird though.thumb.gif