Canon DPP4 Highlight Recovery Quick Test

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited August 9, 2014 in Finishing School
I got an early release of the new program from Hong Kong, here:

http://support-hk.canon-asia.com/contents/HK/EN/0200372902.html

Since a new RAW converter is basically like having a new camera, and because the Digital Darkroom forum here is a ghost town, I'm cross posting this here.

Here's a quick comparison. I didn't spend much time working on the image, but I'm sure if I did I could get basically equivalent results between DPP4 and LR. Mostly I just slammed the highlights to see how much could be recovered. This is a tremendous leap forward for DPP!

OLD DPP 3:
i-VrNN9d3-X3.jpg

NEW DPP 4:
i-N8XcMM5-X3.jpg

Lightroom 4:
brady_lr-X3.jpg

:clap Way to go Canon!
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited June 18, 2014
    Truly impressive highlight recovery! Thanks for the "heads up". thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited June 18, 2014
    Here is the official blurb at the Canon Professional Network (CPN):

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/digital_photo_professional_4_0_launched.do

A few excerpts from that page:

"Canon has launched Digital Photo Professional (DPP) 4.0, the first sweeping overhaul of Canon’s RAW processing software since its launch. ... - available for download at the end of June"

"DPP 4.0: ALL-NEW KEY FEATURES

Faster, real-time adjustments.
    Improved RAW file workflow.
    Better, more approachable user interfaces.
    Compatible with 64-bit native environments.
    Colour adjustments for specific colour gamuts.
    Improved highlight recovery provides expanded tonality.
    Improved shadow recovery function.
    Support for movie playback.
    Auto Lighting Optimizer can be applied to JPEG images.
    Better integration with EOS Utility."

"NEW COLOUR ADJUSTMENT PALETTE
    A new colour adjustment palette allows hue, saturation and luminance adjustment for eight individual colour gamuts, enabling the user to adjust one specific colour in isolation without affecting the image as a whole. This is particularly useful when adjusting background tones in portraits, where there might previously have been a risk of giving a colour cast to skin tones, for example.

The all-new DPP 4.0 features faster real-time processing and offers a secondary image window, which can be used as a magnifier for detailed inspection of chosen areas of an image.

ENHANCED HIGHLIGHT FUNCTION
    Canon software developers have re-engineered the processing algorithms to increase the freedom in tonal rendering. By adjusting highlights, it is now possible to reproduce tones such as those in clouds and peoples’ faces that would previously have appeared washed out.

DUAL DISPLAY SUPPORT
    For those photographers with dual monitors, DPP 4.0 allows a secondary monitor to be used as the preview window on the primary display. While the main monitor can be used to perform delicate adjustments, a secondary image window for images can be used as a magnifier for closer inspection of part of an image.

BETTER EOS UTILITY INTEGRATION
    With the launch of DDP 4.0 comes an updated EOS Utility 3 and the two pieces of software now offer better integration. The introduction of EOS Utility 3 makes it is possible to trigger the camera direct from the DPP tool palette as well as access to all the rest of the EOS Utility remote shooting functions without the need to start a separate application, thus enabling a more streamlined and integrated workflow.

CAMERA COMPATIBILITY AND OS SUPPORT
    At launch, DPP 4.0 is compatible with Canon’s current range of full-frame DSLRs, including the EOS-1D X, EOS-1D C, EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 6D. For other models, an update of DPP 3.14 will be released.

Please note: DPP 4.0 will be compatible only with 64-bit OS, such as Windows 7, 8 and 8.1, plus Mac OS X 10.8 and 10.9"
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2014
    Now if only DPP and their photo browser APP would function as beautifully for high-speed culling as Photomechanic and Nikon View NX 2...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2014
    Define high-speed culling? In DPP you can view a folder of pictures as a grid of large thumbnails, select a bunch and delete. Or as you're reviewing individual pics, hit 'X' to tag as reject. Then later you can select all rejects and delete.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2014
    Define high-speed culling? In DPP you can view a folder of pictures as a grid of large thumbnails, select a bunch and delete. Or as you're reviewing individual pics, hit 'X' to tag as reject. Then later you can select all rejects and delete.

I'm talking mainly about shot-to-shot speed, with 100% preview viewing, in a lightroom loupe mode style interface. So far from what I've tested, Canon's software isn't very fast for this type of culling, but maybe they've updated it?

=Matt=
    edited June 20, 2014
    For my 5D3 raws, it's taking 3 seconds to go from shot to shot in DPP4, at 100% view, on my 3.6GHz dual core 2010 iMac with 4GB RAM.

In LR5, it's 7 seconds. Right, seven. However viewing images fitted to screen size, going from image to image is basically instantaneous in LR5, while it is about 2.5 seconds in DPP4.
    -Jack

edited June 20, 2014
    -Jack

edited June 20, 2014
    For my 5D3 raws, it's taking 3 seconds to go from shot to shot in DPP4, at 100% view, on my 3.6GHz dual core 2010 iMac with 4GB RAM.

In LR5, it's 7 seconds. Right, seven. However viewing images fitted to screen size, going from image to image is basically instantaneous in LR5, while it is about 2.5 seconds in DPP4.

However, instantaneous shot-to-shot time (fit to screen) requires preview rendering in Lightroom. Which for 4-5K photos can take an hour or two for standard size previews, depending on whether or not you've applied any editing presets upon import, ...or many MANY hours for 1:1 previews. (If you want 100% previewing to be faster than 7 seconds...)

On the other hand Nikon View NX 2 and other apps that use embedded JPGs to browse RAW files, requires zero render time and can go from shot to shot at 100% in about 0.5 sec or less.

Thus, I cull in View NX / Photomechanic / Fast Picture Viewer / ETC...

:-)

=Matt=
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2014
    Amazing result Jack, and thanks for letting us know. I look forward to trying it out on a few of my favourite images.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited June 21, 2014
    Thanks! Looks promising. Other reports (elsewhere) showed highlight recovery photos were way off from your post. Maybe they'll come up with a version that will read RAW files from my other recent bodies.

Is the DLO module included? EDIT: I found out that yes it is.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • OstravaczechOstravaczech Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2014
    The difference between DPP3 and DPP4 is like driving POS Chevy vs Bentley!
    edited June 23, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Thanks! Looks promising. Other reports (elsewhere) showed highlight recovery photos were way off from your post.

Obviously they converted incorrectly.
    -Jack

edited June 23, 2014
    Obviously they converted incorrectly.

Yes. It was a bad comparison. I am referring to this post at POTN:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1384169
    My Smugmug
    edited June 23, 2014
    I have merged a couple of similar threads into one. I also moved this now to Finishing School (after moving them to the wrong sub-forum 11doh.gif). A few posts were deleted with the move (just a duplicate and housekeeping stuff)
    My Smugmug
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2014
    A new colour adjustment palette allows hue, saturation and luminance adjustment for eight individual colour gamuts, enabling the user to adjust one specific colour in isolation without affecting the image as a whole.

What's gamut got to do with this? Odd choice of words. Sounds like Lightroom's HLS to me. Anyone know what Canon is talking about with respect to gamut?
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
    edited August 9, 2014
    My Smugmug