Andy's Moving On from SmugMug

Comments

• carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    I get the UK often, and I'll also be at Photokina in Cologne in just a couple of weeks deal.gif

Thanks!

Well I look forward to meeting you here:)
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    I remember well when you called me to urge me to join Dgrin! I'm sure that you have left such a foundational mark on Smugmug in those short years, the effect of you will live on for a looooong time Andy.. Best of luck. Wish I were a a quarter as good as you..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    HoofClix wrote: »
    I remember well when you called me to urge me to join Dgrin! I'm sure that you have left such a foundational mark on Smugmug in those short years, the effect of you will live on for a looooong time Andy.. Best of luck. Wish I were a a quarter as good as you..

Whoa. That's a huge compliment and I'm blushing now! Thanks so much, you've been a great online friend and you are an awesome photographer and businessman - I'm glad I was able to help you in even a small way :)
    edited September 1, 2012
    caroline wrote: »
    Well I look forward to meeting you here:)

Would love to meet up, Caroline! Stay tuned :D
    edited September 1, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Wow - only just saw this! All the best to you, Andy - you're a fixture here at dgrin, so glad to hear you'll still be hanging around even if moving on to other professional activities. thumb.gif

Thanks, Divamum!
    edited September 1, 2012
    Cindy wrote: »
    :cry Andy it's just not gonna be the same :cry
    You will be missed more than you can possibly imagine I'm certain.
    Wishing you nothing but success & happiness for whatever your future path may hold!
    Thank You for everything you've done here for all of us... both known & unknown!!! bowdown.gif

Thank you, Cindy. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here helping you and so many others. Right now, I'm frightfully busy with new opportunities, I'd love to stay on and continue to do more, hopefully SmugMug wants me to do that - if not, we'll, we'll see!
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    That's a little bitter/ sweet Andy. I have always liked the fact that you are super helpful and approachable - something a lot of managers in the business world need to learn. Here's wishing you more success in this new and exciting chapter of your creative life.

Cheers,
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2012
    Thanks so much for all your hardwork on Dgrin Andy! I owe a great debt of gratitude to those who have made this community so useful. I wish you the best in whatever path you choose for your next adventure.

It's a shame you are so far away on the east coast as there is another photo hosting company out here on the west coast that looks like its business will be doubling or tripling over the next few months. They could probably use an experienced hand. mwink.gif
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2012
    Wishing you all the best in your new endeavors Andy. You have certainly helped me over the years...more than once!
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
    edited September 2, 2012
    shniks wrote: »
    That's a little bitter/ sweet Andy. I have always liked the fact that you are super helpful and approachable - something a lot of managers in the business world need to learn. Here's wishing you more success in this new and exciting chapter of your creative life.

Cheers,

Thanks so much, shniks! I'm not sure what the future holds but it's been wonderful to work with you and so many others here on Dgrin.
    edited September 2, 2012
    raebrown wrote: »
    Wishing you all the best in your new endeavors Andy. You have certainly helped me over the years...more than once!

Rae, it's truly been my pleasure!
    edited September 2, 2012
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all your hardwork on Dgrin Andy! I owe a great debt of gratitude to those who have made this community so useful. I wish you the best in whatever path you choose for your next adventure.

It's a shame you are so far away on the east coast as there is another photo hosting company out here on the west coast that looks like its business will be doubling or tripling over the next few months. They could probably use an experienced hand. mwink.gif

Dreadnote, thanks for the so very kind words. I enjoyed helping you and I hope our paths will cross again in the future :D
    edited September 3, 2012
    Thanks guys - after some further developments and consideration on my part, I'm also stepping down as head honcho of Dgrin. I'm sure Baldy will be by with news as to who will be taking over day-to-day running of things around here :D I will of course stay on as a contributor here!
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2012
    I haven't been on Dgrin for quite a long while, but I logged in today and look what I find! I'm in shock .... never thought this day would come! I've been with SmugMug and Dgrin since '06 and have always thought of Andy, SmugMug & Dgrin as synonomous... interchangeable..... I can't imagine one without the other. You have been an inspiration photographically and, as the head honcho at Dgrin, you have contributed so much through the years to helping us all grow as photographers, build websites and businesses, etc. You are a true gentleman, and so approachable, and have proven it time and again on this forum. My heart-felt best wishes for whatever the future holds for you, Andy. I'm sure exciting things are around the corner. :saurora
    edited September 3, 2012
    saurora wrote: »
    I haven't been on Dgrin for quite a long while, but I logged in today and look what I find! I'm in shock .... never thought this day would come! I've been with SmugMug and Dgrin since '06 and have always thought of Andy, SmugMug & Dgrin as synonomous... interchangeable..... I can't imagine one without the other. You have been an inspiration photographically and, as the head honcho at Dgrin, you have contributed so much through the years to helping us all grow as photographers, build websites and businesses, etc. You are a true gentleman, and so approachable, and have proven it time and again on this forum. My heart-felt best wishes for whatever the future holds for you, Andy. I'm sure exciting things are around the corner. :saurora

bowdown.gif thanks so much for the super kind words. You've touched me, and made me smile and realize how that it's all worth it! I want to stay in touch, and always be there for you!
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2012
    Sad news. Thanks for everything. I watch for news of your new adventures.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Damon016Damon016 Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    Very sad indeed
    I have been a pain in the a@@ with andy on a few occasions for issues that werent looked at nor resolved and he always made it right. You can already tell the difference with the company now. The service is not the same, the customer service people are snide and well it sucks with out him there. Already miss you brother. Time to look for an alternative.
  • McQMcQ Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    Sincere best wishes to you, Andy. You showed me, over the years, that you really do care about helping us out, even if it took me some time to realize it (my own ignorance, not any other reason)!

Happy you'll still be a presence here. You're a good guy.
    "Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you?"

http://mcq.smugmug.com
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    Thanks guys - after some further developments and consideration on my part, I'm also stepping down as head honcho of Dgrin. I'm sure Baldy will be by with news as to who will be taking over day-to-day running of things around here :D I will of course stay on as a contributor here!
    Very very sad to hear. :cry It was some consolation to know that you'd still be here at dgrin in a major capacity. :cry

Good luck to you Andy in all that you do! My very best wishes to you! thumb.gif You will be missed...:cry
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012

I hope you stay as a frequent contributor, your frankness is very useful.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • tjgranttjgrant Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    Good riddance! This guy was a big part of the problem at SM. A COO who spends virtually all his time on user-forum answering questions that could (and should) be answered by lesser-paid employee is a joke and a poor use of company resources. Those of you who (rightfully) complain about SM inabilty to release new features in a timely manner need look no futher than Andy. As COO, the web development would come under his purvue.

And, while I'm at it.. don't beleive all the SM PR crap that has been posted on DGrin in recent days. This is a slow moving company that has a huge backlog of features. Just go look at their bug website (I forget what it is called). There are pretty darn good feature requests out there from 8 years or more ago. SM is a non respsonsive company that can't figure out how to get from point A to point B.

Maybe a new COO will help, but I doubt it. They are too far down the road. They need to start from scratch. I've been in software development since the early 80s and I can tell software that is unmaintainable. And SM is just that. This is not a website that can be turned on a dime. Not even close.
  • J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    tjgrant wrote: »
    A COO who spends virtually all his time on user-forum answering questions that could (and should) be answered by lesser-paid employee is a joke and a poor use of company resources. Those of you who (rightfully) complain about SM inabilty to release new features in a timely manner need look no futher than Andy. As COO, the web development would come under his purvue.

I think that's what makes a great COO, someone who actually listens and interacts with the customers on a daily basis. You just don't see that very much anymore.
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    Those of you who (rightfully) complain about SM inabilty to release new features in a timely manner need look no futher than Andy. As COO, the web development would come under his purvue.
    A COO can have many different job descriptions. I don't think the development organization reported to Andy at Smugmug.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    Good riddance! This guy was a big part of the problem at SM. A COO who spends virtually all his time on user-forum answering questions that could (and should) be answered by lesser-paid employee is a joke and a poor use of company resources. Those of you who (rightfully) complain about SM inabilty to release new features in a timely manner need look no futher than Andy. As COO, the web development would come under his purvue.

And, while I'm at it.. don't beleive all the SM PR crap that has been posted on DGrin in recent days. This is a slow moving company that has a huge backlog of features. Just go look at their bug website (I forget what it is called). There are pretty darn good feature requests out there from 8 years or more ago. SM is a non respsonsive company that can't figure out how to get from point A to point B.

Maybe a new COO will help, but I doubt it. They are too far down the road. They need to start from scratch. I've been in software development since the early 80s and I can tell software that is unmaintainable. And SM is just that. This is not a website that can be turned on a dime. Not even close.
    Interesting assessment. I'd like to hear your opinion on Facebook. ear.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited September 6, 2012
    jfriend wrote: »
    A COO can have many different job descriptions. I don't think the development organization reported to Andy at Smugmug.

Correct!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    Good riddance! This guy was a big part of the problem at SM. A COO who spends virtually all his time on user-forum answering questions that could (and should) be answered by lesser-paid employee is a joke and a poor use of company resources.

An interesting perspective, but I beg to differ. I always respected the fact that Andy as COO was on this forum answering questions and contributing in many ways. That type of hands on experience and exposure is what makes for a quality manager. A large part of why I have enjoyed my relationship with smugmug through the years is due to the relationships forged here on DGRIN.

My biggest fear at this point is that this relationship will be lost if SM becomes too corporate and separates itself further from it's customers.

Best of luck in your future endeavors, Andy. Thanks for all of your help to me personally in the past.
  • WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    Good riddance! This guy was a big part of the problem at SM.
    Wow..someone needs a hug eek7.gif
    Let me guess you didn't get your smugmug strap on time. I don't see a bright future for you around here, so I would like to sneak in a Good riddance!..for you now..in case I don't get a chance later thumb.gif
    Gary
  • JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    Sorry to see you go Andy.

I gotta say, this is just too much of a coincidence. Andy announcing he's stepping down as COO (I had no idea that was your title) and now stepping down here. In the meantime, Smugmug announces increase in price. Say what you will, but I know that Smugmug didn't just decide to raise their price overnight...this was coming down the pike.

I wish that Andy could be more forthcoming in the exact reasons. I know when COO's leave, the real reason isn't known until a few years later...unless you are a VERY close friend.
  • SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2012
    The times, they are a'changing...or something along those lines. Losing my sis, Thusie, last year and now to lose Andy here, at the place to which she introduced me what seems forever-ago, is a reminder that no matter what we think or do or want, life has and will always stubbornly follow its own path.

I clearly remember when Smugmug was small and so very, very much a family; that was always an important selling point to me and though few of us are related by blood, we are related in perhaps more important ways - respect and joy in each other's lives (as Richard Bach once put it). Like any family, we've had our "moments" but we also know that home is the place where, when you need to go there, they have to take you in.

I wish you well, Andy. And I thank you for all your patience and all your kindnesses. I hope that even though you won't be mowing the lawn and taking care of the yard here anymore you'll still show up for those long evenings spent sharing adventures and talking about everything and nothing at all.

PJ.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • McQMcQ Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2012
    Mitchell wrote: »
    An interesting perspective, but I beg to differ. I always respected the fact that Andy as COO was on this forum answering questions and contributing in many ways. That type of hands on experience and exposure is what makes for a quality manager. A large part of why I have enjoyed my relationship with smugmug through the years is due to the relationships forged here on DGRIN.

My biggest fear at this point is that this relationship will be lost if SM becomes too corporate and separates itself further from it's customers.

Best of luck in your future endeavors, Andy. Thanks for all of your help to me personally in the past.

I agree with you, Mitchell. I have had more than a couple of issues with SM service (I'm one of the very few who think it's not actually that good) and even when I wasn't being patient or when I was having problems, Andy was very patient and professional with me.

Oh, and I mainly think the customer service isn't that good because even though you get a response back REALLY quickly from the heroes, they don't really seem to do anything much more than supply a link to the Dgrin forums. You end up fixing the problem yourself. So what they're actually really good at is answering email fast, with very nice messages.
    "Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you?"

http://mcq.smugmug.com