Architectural Symmetry

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited December 7, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
You ever notice how much of it there is around? Any additional such architectural symmetry pictures are welcomed.

1. New Town Cinemas, Williamsburg.
DSC_4709-2-XL.jpg

2. Fountain symmetry and background.
DSC_4754-XL.jpg

3. Dewitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum, Williamsburg.
DSC_4314-XL.jpg

4. This caught my eye as well.
DSC_4792-XL.jpg

These next three are much older and excepting #6 were shot as JPEG's but they fit the theme here.
5. Inside a French cathedral...forgot which one this is from...there were many many on the trip.
DSC_0238_edited-1-XL.jpg

6. St. Paul's Cathedral, Rome.
DSC_0056_edited-1-8-XL.jpg

7. Cathedral ceiling at Bath, England.
DSCN3173-8-XL.jpg

Ok, starting at the movie theater and ending up in a Cathedral in Bath, England is a leap but you get the point. Would be interested in more symmetry shots that you might have.
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2015
    Amazing Wayne!clap.gif
    #1 is stunning!
    Love #2, #6 and #7 as well!
    In #5, the artist capturing the symmetry, forgot about the symmetry:D:ivar
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2015
    Cool idea Wayne!
    Great images - I like #'s 1-2-6... thumb.gif

Here's my architectural symmetry image... not quite as elegant as St. Paul's, eh?? :D

60D_2011_06_03_8588-X2.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2015
    Hi Wayne - Great idea for a theme. You have a nice selection here, and I especially like #7. Those cathedral ceilings are so incredible and your shot is spot on!

Eric - It is a manmade structure and it is symmetric. Voila, architectural symmetry! Well done.

Here is my contribution. This is a 1920s Mobil gas station in downtown San Antonio. In 2009, it won a contest by the National Trust for Historic Preservation called "This Place Matters." Last I heard, this station was privately owned but I've not heard of any plans for it. I have not been there in a couple of years.

i-Cj43DK9-L.jpg
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited November 6, 2015
    Good one Lauren!

Although now I know where Eric goes to get his cocaine......biggrinbounce2.gif
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Amazing Wayne!clap.gif
    #1 is stunning!
    Love #2, #6 and #7 as well!
    In #5, the artist capturing the symmetry, forgot about the symmetry:D:ivar

Taz, always thankful for your intelligent comments. Just look at #5 as "column arch" symmetry! rolleyes1.gif
    It's a much older pic and I wasn't prepared!!! :D
    Regards my west coast friend!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

edited November 6, 2015
    Earache wrote: »
    Cool idea Wayne!
    Great images - I like #'s 1-2-6... thumb.gif

Here's my architectural symmetry image... not quite as elegant as St. Paul's, eh?? :D

Eric, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Each side resembles a mirror image of the other. Nicely done.

edited November 6, 2015
    redleash wrote: »
    Hi Wayne - Great idea for a theme. You have a nice selection here, and I especially like #7. Those cathedral ceilings are so incredible and your shot is spot on!

Eric - It is a manmade structure and it is symmetric. Voila, architectural symmetry! Well done.

Here is my contribution. This is a 1920s Mobil gas station in downtown San Antonio. In 2009, it won a contest by the National Trust for Historic Preservation called "This Place Matters." Last I heard, this station was privately owned but I've not heard of any plans for it. I have not been there in a couple of years.

Lauren, very nicely done. Looks symmetric to me!! Thanks for playing! Much appreciated.
    Looks like I'm going to have to go take some more "architectural symmetry" shots myself! :D

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2015
    I'll play...

DSC_0109-XL.jpg
    edited November 7, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    I'll play...

Now that's what I'm talk'n bout! :D

edited November 10, 2015
    DSC_5022-XL.jpg

edited November 10, 2015
    DSC_1271-edit-3-7-XL.jpg

• EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2015
    More good stuff Wayne!
    Especially like the bridge!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited November 10, 2015
    Earache wrote: »
    More good stuff Wayne!
    Especially like the bridge!

Thank you, Eric! Always appreciated on this end!

Wayne

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2015
    from the cathedral iin Bourges, France... symmetry in form but not figure...

20130825_336_DMC-G5.jpg
    edited November 11, 2015
    Sara, nicely done! This is interesting in that I had just visited your photos website after reading your post from another camera thread earlier this morning. I was impressed! thumb.gif
    Thanks for adding the shot!

Take care,

Wayne

edited November 11, 2015
    Wayne, glad you like my pictures. I've been a SmugMugger for a while but just decided it was time to start posting a bit in the forums. It's nice to get some feedback.

Cheers, Sara
    ps - and where's the link to your site?
    edited November 11, 2015
    ps - and where's the link to your site?

I'm in a "reassessing phase" as to mine, but you can visit it as it presently stands here...

www.thelensspot.smugmug.com

I have some very old stuff still there (including my shooting in JPEG days!).

Regards!

Wayne

edited November 11, 2015
    Wow! This thread is kicking butt! So many good photos! The mansion and the door-with-heads, both rock!
    edited November 11, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Wow! This thread is kicking butt! So many good photos! The mansion and the door-with-heads, both rock!

wings.gifsmile6

edited November 11, 2015
    I'd almost forgotten about this... the Place de la Bourse and the miroir d'eau in Bordeaux, France. Supreme example of architectural symmetry:
    20120824_162_DMC-G3-X2.jpg

and our renaissance town hall in Augsburg is also quite symmetrical...
    20100312_062_around_town-X2.jpg
    edited November 11, 2015
    I'm in a "reassessing phase" as to mine, but you can visit it as it presently stands here...

www.thelensspot.smugmug.com

Wayne, lovely stuff. I'm especially impressed by your ability to cull out and offer just the best shots. ...I'm not quite so good at self editing...

Cheers, Sara
    edited November 11, 2015
    Sara, really like the last two shots. Very nice!
    Thank you! bowdown.gif
    Keep'em coming!

Take care,

Wayne

edited November 12, 2015
    Thanks! I'm lucky to be able to live and vacation where there is no shortage of interesting architecture and scenery.

Cheers, Sara
    edited November 12, 2015
    DSC_2118-XL.jpg

edited November 12, 2015
    Oooo, that's lovely and very symmetrical! Love the rich colors. Where is it?

CHeers, Sara
    edited November 12, 2015
    Oooo, that's lovely and very symmetrical! Love the rich colors. Where is it?

CHeers, Sara

Sara, thank you. This is the Governor's Palace on Palace Green at Colonial Williamsburg looking at the north side of the structure.

edited November 12, 2015
    Chateau Chambord is quite symmetrical except for the famous chimneys - here are back and front views:

20130826_573_DMC-G1-XL.jpg

20130826_598_DMC-G1-XL.jpg
    edited November 12, 2015
    clap.gifclapclap.gifthumbbowdown.gif

edited November 12, 2015
    Thanks, I was lucky to be there in the early evening when the swarms of tourists had mostly gone for the day. We were staying a short distance away and rode our bikes over for an evening visit - very magical. Unfortunately the light wasn't all that great, but I did what I could. And now that I look at these pics again, I may go back and re-process them when I have time - I'm not really wild about the color correction, expecially on picture two.

"This is the Governor's Palace on Palace Green at Colonial Williamsburg ... " I can see that I'll have to visit Colonial Williamsburg when I next get to the eastern US!
    edited November 12, 2015
    The second of the last two, with darker skies, is totally fab!!clap.gifthumb
    I would however consider removing the evidence that horses were on the road.....the dark splotches....:D
    Cheers!