Options

Street photography in dicey areas - need suggestions.

SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
edited August 4, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I am a wedding & portrait photographer, but am facinated with the freedom, spontaneity, and power of street photography. My work takes me to some of the border cities in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. The downtowns of cities at the border crossings make for some very interesting photo ops. I would love to spend time on the streets capturing images, but have safety concerns about being alone with an expensive camera in areas where I would not be able to "blend in" easily.

I would like to hear from some of you experienced street photographers. Do any of you shoot in areas where safety is a concern? What suggestions would you make? Thanks!
http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    Surfdog wrote: »
    I am a wedding & portrait photographer, but am facinated with the freedom, spontaneity, and power of street photography. My work takes me to some of the border cities in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. The downtowns of cities at the border crossings make for some very interesting photo ops. I would love to spend time on the streets capturing images, but have safety concerns about being alone with an expensive camera in areas where I would not be able to "blend in" easily.

I would like to hear from some of you experienced street photographers. Do any of you shoot in areas where safety is a concern? What suggestions would you make? Thanks!

HI Surfdog,
    Yes sometimes I do,this has prevented me from shooting in these locations at night.
    You might be shooting in a highly charged enviornment. You are caucasian, these towns are mainly hispanic and you might be viewed with skepticism. I don't know that your camera is so much a concern, I don't know about how high the crime rate for theft is,but I would be more concerned about shooting people who may or may not be documented, especially these days.
    I have that same problem with the same situation, but I am hispanic and speak the language which helps.

I would also suggest that maybe you try and shoot with a more discrete camera, something smaller if you have it--at first anyway until you see how the reaction might be and of course try and be as unobtrusive as possible.

Good luck to you, I can only imagine the fantastic energy of these towns. Looking forward to your shots.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    If there is any possible way to get "in" with trustworthy locals, like a family you know or a business you deal with, that would be one way to "insulate" yourself somewhat. If you know locals who can introduce you as like "it's cool, this guy's with me" so that people might even go as far as asking you to photograph them, rather than wondering who the rich nosy white stranger is.

I have not been to Mexico but in the trips I've been on, it's always when you've got a local connection, who can also guide you on dos and donts, that things get so much easier and less tense and you get invited to things.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    Get licensed to carry a concealed weapon and do so...nothing smaller than a .357 .... my preference would be a .44mag, .457casull or .50 cal,
    I am a 1 shot kinda guy......I don't wanna have to keep shooting to stop an attacker......with the above cals......99% of attackers would turn and
    disappear before you had to shoot. And never ever do a warning shot........those things land somewhere and can do immense damage.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited August 4, 2010
    Thanks for the responses. My best bet will be to get "in" with someone in the area. I definitely stand out in that environment, although I tend to dress in boots, jeans, & work shirts. Won't even consider shooting at night. My knock around camera is an old Nikon D50. I am not as concerned with the loss of the camera as I am with being pegged as some type of threat to locals and "businessmen" on the street.

And thanks, Art. I have a concealed carry license and carry a .380. If it actually came to having to use it on those streets, I'm afraid I would be swiss cheese before my attacker hit the pavement.

As I said, interesting photo ops.

• Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    You give a good description of street photography (freedom...). It is also adventurous, creative, surprising, delightful...

Just like your portrait and wedding photography, I would start with small steps and just get comfortable taking these types of shots in a safe and familiar setting. Get some experience first and develop techniques to be able to get the shots that interest you. How do YOU get unobtrusive shots of people that may or may not want to be photographed?

You might consider gaining experience in busy areas with lot of other cameras around. This could be a art fair, tourist site, protest (peaceful), etc. Learn what works and doesn't for you. And critique your photos (and post them here) just as much as your portrait and wedding shoots -- after all, you don't want to put yourself at risk for "snapshots" (the genre requires very different approaches and techniques).

Then finally, ask what you want to shoot in these areas and whether it is worth putting yourself in harm's way. What value would a great shot here have for you (not talking monetary value)? The freedom, spontaneity, and power can be had anywhere. Is it for a cause or to bring attention to their plight? Do you have an emotional attachment here?

I did think along these lines as I became more experienced in street shooting. I considered going to areas whereby I anticipated trouble (such as Oakland after the BART shooting verdict) and decided that I was NOT a photojournalist and putting myself in harm's way (where it could be anticipated) would be downright stupid if I got harmed. Had to rein in my enthusiasm as a photographer wanting a Pulitzer caliber photo and remember that I am a hobbyist that would probably blow the shot anyway...

Hope this helps...
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,920 moderator
    edited August 4, 2010
    Surfdog wrote: »

Are you comfortable walking around those areas without taking pictures? If not, you are not likely get decent results even if you don't get into trouble. I don't think I could achieve the level of concentration needed if I am worrying about my safety. I suppose that's a personal matter, though--I just saw an exhibit of Robert Capa's work in the Spanish Civil War, the Normandy Invasion and the Sino-Japanese War. Talk about safety issues. eek7.gif

Some of the people in those neighborhoods have good reason to worry about having their picture taken, so you would be well advised to practice your stealth technique first in a non-threatening environment. Keep in mind that you do not need the demimonde to take good street shots...there's stuff worth shooting all around you if only you can see it. deal.gif
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Get licensed to carry a concealed weapon and do so...nothing smaller than a .357 .... my preference would be a .44mag, .457casull or .50 cal,
    I am a 1 shot kinda guy......I don't wanna have to keep shooting to stop an attacker......with the above cals......99% of attackers would turn and
    disappear before you had to shoot. And never ever do a warning shot........those things land somewhere and can do immense damage.

Only in America. :D
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2010
    Patti wrote: »

Well in some parts of America.
    Takes me back to my days in Texas--a far cry from NYC:)

I'll take my shots without having to think about shooting people.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    If this is important to you, I think you need to treat it as a long-term project including developing some technical skills in the sort of physical conditions, environment and lighting you might anticipate. I've found that I've really benefitted in understanding everything about how my camera and lenses perform. You really need to be instinctive and fast with exposure and focus. Leaving everything on automatic disappoints too often.

As to safety? Only you know what you're comfortable with. I've lived in major cities in, um, mixed economic communities for decades and I'd never carry a gun. It's going to be about situational awareness and how well you can integrate with and/or assess what happening around you. In fact, that's the same sort of skill needed for street work.

I'm looking forward to some scene-setting shots from you.
    Well in some parts of America.
    Takes me back to my days in Texas--a far cry from NYC:)

I'll take my shots without having to think about shooting people.

So where were you in Texas? I grew up in the central part of the state.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »

So where were you in Texas? I grew up in the central part of the state.

No way! Quite a different change of scene for you no? lol.

Mesquite TX--population 120,000 (in 1996 anyway, when I left) dry town on the outskirts of Dallas. Lived there from ages 11 to 24. I miss it every once in a blue.
    Last time I was there in 2008 I couldn't sleep at night--too quiet rolleyes1.gif.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    Patti wrote: »

Actually also in some of the central European counties also (ex soviet ruled)....if you can pass their psych tests.............then you can carry for self protection..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Actually also in some of the central European counties also (ex soviet ruled)....if you can pass their psych tests.............then you can carry for self protection..............

I really don't want to derail this, but do you think most Photojournalists in the USA or in Central Europe or in the Middle East approach their jobs armed with anything other than cameras? I don't doubt that they take significant precautions in other ways. But carrying a weapon engages them in a way that is counter to the objective of capturing circumstances through images.

I'd be interested in hearing from any real PJs that check in here.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    You give a good description of street photography (freedom...). It is also adventurous, creative, surprising, delightful...

Just like your portrait and wedding photography, I would start with small steps and just get comfortable taking these types of shots in a safe and familiar setting. Get some experience first and develop techniques to be able to get the shots that interest you. How do YOU get unobtrusive shots of people that may or may not want to be photographed?

You might consider gaining experience in busy areas with lot of other cameras around. This could be a art fair, tourist site, protest (peaceful), etc. Learn what works and doesn't for you. And critique your photos (and post them here) just as much as your portrait and wedding shoots -- after all, you don't want to put yourself at risk for "snapshots" (the genre requires very different approaches and techniques).

Then finally, ask what you want to shoot in these areas and whether it is worth putting yourself in harm's way. What value would a great shot here have for you (not talking monetary value)? The freedom, spontaneity, and power can be had anywhere. Is it for a cause or to bring attention to their plight? Do you have an emotional attachment here?

I did think along these lines as I became more experienced in street shooting. I considered going to areas whereby I anticipated trouble (such as Oakland after the BART shooting verdict) and decided that I was NOT a photojournalist and putting myself in harm's way (where it could be anticipated) would be downright stupid if I got harmed. Had to rein in my enthusiasm as a photographer wanting a Pulitzer caliber photo and remember that I am a hobbyist that would probably blow the shot anyway...

Hope this helps...

Great advice. I really appreciate you taking the time.