bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    Whoa Nellie---
    The beginning of a fight! Wow, what on earth did he do? Doesn't matter, he has no shot in hell to win this one. I'm shuddering here just from watching her simmer and boil over ( as a woman I hate to use those words to describe her actions, but if the shoe fits...

This series is too good.

EDIT: that is some lens in that low light. I don't know how you managed to remain unobtrusive in this bar which doesn't look crowded.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    I think it takes the entire series of the four shots to make this work. But, brother, it sure does work. I'm not at all certain, however, that this is a fight, or dispute, going on. I see a lot of grief and sadness in her eyes and facial expressions....perhaps even depression. Maybe she is seeking counsel or comforting.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    Four pictures tell a story?
    I think it takes the entire series of the four shots to make this work. But, brother, it sure does work. I'm not at all certain, however, that this is a fight, or dispute, going on. I see a lot of grief and sadness in her eyes and facial expressions....perhaps even depression. Maybe she is seeking counsel or comforting.

Tom

And this is what can make an image or series, as here, truly great. The possibility for the viewer to see more than one story! thumb.gif

BD, you've out done yourself, here. These are real winners. Looks like you had the camera just sitting on the table and kept clicking! clap.gifclap.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    And this is what can make an image or series, as here, truly great. The possibility for the viewer to see more than one story! : thumb

BD, you've out done yourself, here. These are real winners. Lola like you had the camera just sitting on the table and kept clicking! clap.gifclap.gif

Don

Thanks, all...I am going nuts playing with the story possibilities. I may post the entire series later. She was waiting...and waiting...and waiting...and waiting for him to show up. At first looking pretty calm, then, as she repeatedly checked her handheld, getting more and more upset. He came in, and was utterly - and I mean UTTERLY - detached as she unloaded. But she seemed more upset and sad than angry.

As to the photography...rolleyes1.gif...I was shooting with the GF1. Had it on the bar, set for square format - which I am really hooked on - 800 iso - with the 20 1.7. There was allot of window light, so I end up with under exposed shadows to not blow out the highlights....I could have processed these a good deal lighter, but it wouldn't fit the mood as well. I'm also tempted by the color, which is striking, but then we have the problem that the color is ... striking...which, I think, detracts from the story.

Anyway, every picture does tell a story - just not necessarily the true story. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    That's about 4,000 words worth of images. Nice set.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    Oops, I responded to the whole story post without having seen this 4 photo version.

I think the 4 photos do it - maybe more powerfully even than the entire set.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    There's actually a group on flickr called something like "Five pictures" and their whole goal is to have people post 5 pictures that tell a story in a manner just like these. Great shots.

(I liked 'em better in color but I think that might be a personal metaphor for how my brain perceives emotion...)

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr