Options

Thinking about food...Part II

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited October 8, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
As a few of you know, I'm preparing a shot on the subject of "Food" for my local photography club.
Anything goes, but I get tired of the same ole shots of spread out food, food and wine glass, food at night, food in water etc. etc. So I'm trying this concept with the theme..."White thinks about food!" Does this work. Let me know.

DSC_4832-B-8-X2.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2015
    If you are to submit just one photo to the club with food theme.....I would stick with the first one. Cheers!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,912 moderator
    edited October 4, 2015
    Just to muddy the waters, I prefer this one--it's more playful somehow. If you're up for a reshoot, I'd put a piece of fruit--maybe an apple with a bite out of it--in the hand on the left.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    If you are to submit just one photo to the club with food theme.....I would stick with the first one. Cheers!
    Richard wrote: »
    Just to muddy the waters, I prefer this one--it's more playful somehow. If you're up for a reshoot, I'd put a piece of fruit--maybe an apple with a bite out of it--in the hand on the left.

Taz, Richard, many thanks for taking the time to comment. I'm probably going to go with this one to be submitted. Mainly due to the time it took to get the composition done.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2015
    Let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    Let us know how it goes!

Will do! Thanks.

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2015
    Oh, yes..............it works. I like them both, but this one is more playful. I do like Richard's idea of an apple in the hand. Great imagination!
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2015
    OK, here's an even harder assignment: configure the board so that white has lost a piece to black. Then put that piece in black's hand with a bite out of it.

Or not...lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Oh, yes..............it works. I like them both, but this one is more playful. I do like Richard's idea of an apple in the hand. Great imagination!

Jo, thanks for looking at the shot! I appreciate all the additional ideas...but see my response to Richard.
    OK, here's an even harder assignment: configure the board so that white has lost a piece to black. Then put that piece in black's hand with a bite out of it.

Or not...lol3.gif

Richard, after the shot was completed I gave my breakfast nook and table back to my wife! :D I had initially taken over the room with foam board, white card board, desk lamp, step ladder for an external SB 800 flash, tripod with camera, chess board and all kinds of fruit and vegetables! rolleyes1.gif All the additional ideas are great but the studio strangely resembles a regular room again. I REALLY like the idea of the piece with the bite out of it! clap.gif

• Options
    edited October 5, 2015
    Deleted shot.

• Options
    edited October 6, 2015
    Wayne, IMHO, the very first shot that you posted on a separate thread, is best, by significant margin, out of all these.
    It has this natural feeling and quality of exposure (light - mother of all photography) was superior.
    I think you would win with that one.
    These are fine and million times beyond my post processing abilities.......but feel overworked.....losing that powerful impact of what felt natural and quirky.....
    Cheers m8!
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2015
    Wayne, IMHO, the very first shot that you posted on a separate thread, is best, by significant margin, out of all these.
    It has this natural feeling and quality of exposure (light - mother of all photography) was superior.
    I think you would win with that one.
    These are fine and million times beyond my post processing abilities.......but feel overworked.....losing that powerful impact of what felt natural and quirky.....
    Cheers m8!

Taz, first of all your talents at making magic with your camera (I've been to your website multiple times) does not support your "million times beyond my post processing abilities" statement! The quality of your photography FAR exceeds my infantile attempt at depicting food on a chess board. Secondly, I can't express how much I appreciate that you stop by and comment on these attempts at photography I post here. Your opinions are priceless to me and I value them all more than I can say.

I guess as the topic this week at the club is "Post Processing", I felt the first shot was rather elementary and would be judged in that manner. After I stared at it for a few hours I began to feel that it was "silly" and the fruit laying directly on the chess board began to look much as a beginner's shot would look given the concept I had in the beginning. I thought..."what if the pieces were still visible with the food". Well, the result is on display as you see. As to the actual post processing itself, it's quite easy. One shot of the board and pieces...then substitute the food for the white pieces with the second shot, lay on a layer mask...commence brushing.
    I agree that the idea looks overworked but I've already sent this one in so I will let you know how the shot is received on Wednesday night. I'm starting to agree that this idea might be "over baked".
    If only I knew your camera magic! I wouldn't have had to resort to trickery and deception! bowdown.gif

• Options
    edited October 6, 2015
    Taz, first of all your talents at making magic with your camera (I've been to your website multiple times) does not support your "million times beyond my post processing abilities" statement! The quality of your photography FAR exceeds my infantile attempt at depicting food on a chess board. Secondly, I can't express how much I appreciate that you stop by and comment on these attempts at photography I post here. Your opinions are priceless to me and I value them all more than I can say.

I guess as the topic this week at the club is "Post Processing", I felt the first shot was rather elementary and would be judged in that manner. After I stared at it for a few hours I began to feel that it was "silly" and the fruit laying directly on the chess board began to look much as a beginner's shot would look given the concept I had in the beginning. I thought..."what if the pieces were still visible with the food". Well, the result is on display as you see. As to the actual post processing itself, it's quite easy. One shot of the board and pieces...then substitute the food for the white pieces with the second shot, lay on a layer mask...commence brushing.
    I agree that the idea looks overworked but I've already sent this one in so I will let you know how the shot is received on Wednesday night. I'm starting to agree that this idea might be "over baked".
    If only I had your knew your camera magic! I wouldn't haven't to resort to trickery and deception! bowdown.gif

Too kind Wayne....wish half of it was true....
    I read toping was food.....didn't know about processing......maybe topic is food processing? Just kidding...
    Well theme is theme so do what works best.....but big time Gurus (Richard, PP, Don) have thrown their weight behind your first shot....so don't delete that one! Cheers my friend!
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2015
    Update: this shot is a winner at the photo club meeting tonight! Can't say thanks enough for everyone's input! bowdown.gif

• Options
    edited October 7, 2015
    Update: this shot is a winner at the photo club meeting tonight! Can't say thanks enough for everyone's input! bowdown.gif

Congrats!
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2015
    :ivar thumb.gif
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2015
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2015
    :ivar thumb.gif
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Congrats Wayne. Never any doubt!!

Richard, Jo, thanks kindly. Very much appreciated! Been a very "up" photog week for me as the local paper printed one of my shots yesterday as "Photo of the Week". These don't come along that often for me.

• Options
    edited October 8, 2015
    Congrats!

Taz, always appreciated!