dead time...

Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
edited April 17, 2012 in Weddings
What do you do when you find that the wedding has slowed down...and you have shot everything that you can think of and still find yourself out of things to shoot.

I just shot a small wedding with 14 guests where that is just what happened at the reception. I had a bunch of people sitting at their tables...talking. My last idea was to take table portaits...which turned out to be a really good idea.

They were having happy hour...waiting for dinner...

Everyone was happy...but, you can only shoot so many images of the same people talking to the same people...and there wasn't much to speak of for detail shots...

So, what do you do when this happens to you...

I just thought I'd bring it up...it happens...and thought it might be a topic of interest...
Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    REST! But yeah, if they're not stuffing their faces, grabbing a shot (even if it's a boring posed shot) is good. Honestly, that's the one that guests will order a 4x6 or 5x7 of!

But yeah, after I feel like I'm just over-doing it, I start to just tone things down a little bit. I focus on specific candid moments here and there, and I'm always alert, but I'm definitely NOT opposed to sitting down and resting a little bit...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2012
    I go for a walk outside and fine some exterior shots or something related to the location the b&g picked. Or plan out a more complex shot for later. Or just eat dinner :)
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2012
    Thanks for commenting guys...maybe someone else has found themselves in this situation...and wants to share.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • BlueSkyPhotosBlueSkyPhotos Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2012
    I try to take portraits of guests, do more detail shots, or get to talk to a guest or two if they ask me a question about photography or our services. I booked few HS Senior session that way.
    Jacek
    Perfect time to start on the same day slideshow edits: Back up files, run twenty or so through lightroom for a quick edit, and transfer them to a digital frame or ipad. I usually don't get dead time, but really try to do a same day slideshow no matter how busy it is at the reception. It seems to mean a lot to the bride to see gorgeous photos from earlier in the day, and to have her friends and family tell her how beautiful she looks in the photos. It's like a wedding present for the couple.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2012
    I go for a walk outside and fine some exterior shots or something related to the location the b&g picked. Or plan out a more complex shot for later. Or just eat dinner :)

Likewise.

I go outside for some fresh air to breathe.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    down time? If you tired and need a break then go ahead but "down time" is "creative" time for me. So I may turn off the flash, crank the iso and go grainy intending BW processing and snipe photos with the 70-200mm capturing intimate candids...or go crazy with detail shots...find a bottle of beer and pose it! hit a flower arrangement from odd angles and different flash bounces, same with wedding cake, follow some children around and shoot with you camera at your waist! I live for "down time" when nothing is happening. Every once in while I get shot really like and then expereince goes into my bank of stuff to try next time.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    down time? If you tired and need a break then go ahead but "down time" is "creative" time for me. So I may turn off the flash, crank the iso and go grainy intending BW processing and snipe photos with the 70-200mm capturing intimate candids...or go crazy with detail shots...find a bottle of beer and pose it! hit a flower arrangement from odd angles and different flash bounces, same with wedding cake, follow some children around and shoot with you camera at your waist! I live for "down time" when nothing is happening. Every once in while I get shot really like and then expereince goes into my bank of stuff to try next time.

Sounds exactly like what I do, BEFORE down time. ;-)
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    Sounds exactly like what I do, BEFORE down time. ;-)

Word

Word up
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    I had some major downtime last Saturday. I had met the gals at a beauty salon to grab photos of hair and make up in progress.....but had some MAJOR time to kill between then and the "getting ready" photos at the venue. And this was an out of town wedding...about an hour and a half from my home.

I drove my daughter (and assistant for the day) to Five Guys for a burger and fries.

We still beat the girls to the venue, and I was able to shoot the outdoor set up as it came together. PLUS++++ our bellies were full!!:D

Bonus came during the reception when the bride fixed a plate of food for me and sat me at a table. That was a first!

Ive never really had much downtime before. I usually spend it shooting weird stuff. If nothing else, I shoot tree branches, walls, windows, etc from the venue to use as watermark type backgrounds for the books.ne_nau.gif
  • rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    my downtime is usually when main course has arrived and everyone is busy eating.. i try to finish early then step out to smoke and review my shots.

last weekend, i was able to use the RATE button on the Canon 5D3 and it's pretty cool.. :)
  • trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    Hi, I'm a long time smugmug user, lurker and Nikon shooter.

It's been a long while since I've shot a wedding but I did shoot a post wedding reception/party this weekend. The bulk of the 4 hr party/reception was mostly 'downtime' but it's never 'downtime' for me...that's when I'm most creative. It really depends on the crowd.
  • avangardphotoavangardphoto Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    Weddings never slow down. There are always great expression to be captured. Use longer lens and grab candids.