When does your clock start/stop for timed events?

ChuckWCChuckWC Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited February 3, 2008 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi all, I have a few questions for you pros out there. (And, no, it's not "how much should I charge?" :D )

I've seen many photographers offer timed packages, especially as it pertains to portraits and events (not so much weddings, although I imagine it's a similar thing) For example: "$300 for 2 hours of coverage, $100 for each additional hour".

My questions:

1. When does your clock start ticking? (The minute you arrive at the event? The minute you take the first picture?)

2. If you were hired for 2 hours and you're getting close to the end of those 2 hours but the event is still going strong, do you:

a) notify your client that the 2 hours are almost up?
b) ask your client if they wish to purchase additional time? (and if they agree, do you have them sign something there before continuing?)
c) Just pack up your things at exactly 2 hours and leave?

3. How strict are you with your hours? If you were hired for 2 hours and things are wrapping up, do you go over a few minutes "on the house" without additional charge?

4. Are additional hours always charged fully or do you offer charges in smaller increments? (like, 15 or 30 minutes?)

Basically, I'm interested in finding out how you treat your time during events when you're contracted for only a certain number of hours.

I may be hired to take pictures in April for a 2-hour dinner and I've never done a job like that for $ before. I'm curious what the protocal is regarding time-keeping.

Thanks for any/all answers/tips/hints! :thumb
Chuck

CWC Photography: “Painting pictures with cameras.” • Nature & Animals • Around the World • New York City • Miscellaneous • Sunsets • Central Park

Comments

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Hourly rate
    For hourly events, yes, you check with the host and ask and I would not deliver anything until I was paid for additional time. In my day job I bill in quarter hour increments but for photography, I do it in hours. Why? Because I calculate that for every hour I shoot I have two or more hours in post plus getting ready and getting there also takes time. Time is your on the shelf product. You can inventory it and it runs out.

I did an event for x number of hours (8) and was having a lot of fun so I stayed an extra hour. But, I would not do that routinely because it says I am not valuing my time. A not so subtle message. People will take advantage if you give things away.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • djspinner2kdjspinner2k Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:

People will take advantage if you give things away.

I agree. I used to not charge the hourly rate. and my shoots, that should only be 1 hour ran for 3-4 because the client wasn't prepared because they knew they weren't being charged for the time.
    EVGENY:D
    www.petrovphotography.com
    http://petrovphotography.smugmug.com

Canon 30D
    Canon 24-70mm F2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm F2.8L
    Canon 430EX Flash
  • ChuckWCChuckWC Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    Thanks for the comments. So, I'll definitely be watching the end-time of my event.

But, what about when does the clock *start* ticking? (Or is that pretty much a dumb question, cause everyone does it differently?)

Anyone else with some sage advice? :help
    Chuck

CWC Photography: “Painting pictures with cameras.” • Nature & Animals • Around the World • New York City • Miscellaneous • Sunsets • Central Park
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    ChuckWC wrote:
    But, what about when does the clock *start* ticking? (Or is that pretty much a dumb question, cause everyone does it differently?)

I haven't done timed photo shoots before, but when I did consulting and other types of timed work, usually the start time was set, say 1:00pm. But that means I am there, setup, scoped out the place, done test shots, got light meter settings (as best I can), all before 1:00pm. If that takes 15 minutes great; if it takes an hour, so be it. They are paying for my work, not my prep.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    They are paying for my work, not my prep.
    Exactly.....it is just like with any job you've in the past where you punched a time clock...lets say....manufacturing, be it running a machine or assembly....a 7:00 AM start time would mean to be at your work station ready to work at 7AM not clocking in at 7AM.....
    Having doe weddings for a long time as a contract Photog (it was what I refer to as "Wedding Mill" work....Think puppy mills and you'll understand).....I could shoot 3 weddings on a Saturday.....that is 3 - 3-4 hour weddings.....if a wedding starts at 1PM then I would do all of my Pre shoots starting at 11:30AM and I was at the Church, Temple, Synagogue...etc by 11am to scope out where I'd do what shots.....If I had 3 weddings in one day I would scope out all locations on Thursday or Friday and be ready to go with written notes on Saturday....but I did many a wedding starting at 9AM ending at 12 and off to the next location for a 1PM then at 4 off to the last late wedding and that one would actually get my full attention and no cut offs I just stayed and shot until I was out of film and then it was crash time....I hated doing 3 a day but if the studio said do it I did and luckily I never had any problems but then I never told a client "We must get done by such and such time.".......I left that to the Studio that booked them and contracted me....BTW.....contracting is ok for building a portfolio...but it truly sucks ...since your never given your do's....that is proper credit......there are studios here still hanging my work with the owners name emblazoned in gold in the lower right corner of MY photo.......oh well that is the price one pays when there was no community like Dgrin to give and get advice from:D

For you questions....start time is a set time between you and client as is the end time...but always arrive with enuff time to leisurely set up your gear and to scope out your venue........as end time approaches pleasantly ask the client if they would like to purchase more time if not then givem them the time you lost due to finding them and asking if they wanted more time.....so end time is 6pm...at 5:15 you stopped photoing and contacted client...told no additional time....time not shooting is 25 miutes...stay 30 minutes to make sure you give them the full amount of time "shooting", not just time at the venue....

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    1. Clock starts when they ask me to start take photos. If that means that I have to get there 20 or 30 minutes early to set up gear, well that overhead is figured into the hourly rate. And, I always scope out the venue in advance, usually a day or two to be sure that I have a clue what I want to do and where - this time is not billed, but rolled/accounted for as overhead.

2. When the clock get close to the end of contracted time, I so advise the client and ask how they want to handle it. Do I leave or do I continue and, if I continue, for how much longer. When the period of performance is extended in this informal manner, I don't even start working on PP until I receive funds due me. All of these details are covered during pre-event consultations and re-iterated during extention discussions. When time is extended, it is at same rate/hour as the previous, contracted, time.

3. Ten or 15 minutes are on the house. Anything beyond that is charged.

4. I bill by the hour.

Disclaimer: All the above is related to my wedding/reception photography contracts.
  • ChuckWCChuckWC Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Thanks for the replies everyone, that's the sort of detailed info I was hoping to get! thumb.gif

(Don't even know if I'll actually get the April gig, but this info will definitely be helpful if I ever do get hired for such an event.)
    Chuck

• 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    Thanks for such a nice thread. I didn't have this covered in my contract for my two hourly packages.

Here is my updated wedding contract if you want to see what I use.

3rd Planet Photography Wedding Contract