First Destination Wedding

MMcClainPhotoMMcClainPhoto Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited August 27, 2012 in Weddings
Greetings all. We're shooting our first real destination (outside 250 miles from home state) aboard a cruise in May on the Carnival lines. We're more so shooting the port excursions Due to Carnival's restrictions on outside photographers. Anyone who has any piece of advice from his/her experience is greatly appreciated.
Great Photography Is All About the Light!

Comments

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2012
    no, but CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!clap.gifclapclap.gifclap
  • jonathanlord31jonathanlord31 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    Congrats and wishing you the better future ahead.
  • MMcClainPhotoMMcClainPhoto Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    Thanks:). Got butterflies but REALLY stinkin' excited about the experience!
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    I've traveled with my camera gear (for both work and pleasure) many times, both by car, plane, and boat!

The absolute best advice I can give to anyone in this situation is, KEEP YOUR GEAR WITH YOU!!! Especially with air travel; people always think they're safe if they get a rolling hard case that is overhead-compliant, like a pelican or something. In my opinion this is still not safe enough. Because if you are the last person on a full flight, you'll be checking that overhead bag at the gate. Personally, I carry 1-2 cameras and 1-2 lenses, plus a flash and a small 13" laptop, all in a Tenba Messenger bag that is small enough to fit under an airline seat. Yeah it gets heavy with all that gear in it, but I just rest it on top of my rolling case if I have a long walk through the airport. Then in the overhead bag, I just put all the rest of my gear, like the macro lens, battery chargers, all the junk that I could live without in a worst-case scenario.

For sea and general travel, just be ready for anything. Protect your gear from splashes, learn how to deal with humidity outdoors and air conditioning indoors, etc. (leave your camera in your bag for a few minutes when going from cold to hot, or from dry to humid)

Depending on where you go, I would also recommend using a very incognito bag. Personally I've stripped ALL the labels off my camera bags, and with regular wear and tear they've been dirtied up a bit. And in general none of my bags really "scream expensive" because I picked the ones without a bazillion pockets etc; Again I love my Tenba Messenger bag. Lately I've also been using a bag from http://Undfind.com, but their current model is not as spacious as the Tenba Messenger if you like to travel with a "lens-attached" scenario. (Though I'm currently testing a new larger bag for them, since I work at the studio that is associated with the guys who invented Undfind...) In general I like the Undfind bags because some of the (interchangeable) covers are super incognito, like grey canvas and stuff.

For general outings and active shooting, one thing I absolutely love is my Waist Shooter bag, also from Undfind. it's a belt-mounted pouch with room for two giant lenses, or a couple smaller lenses and a flash, plus a couple spare batteries / cards etc. But I don't want this to sound like a commercial for them lol, I just happen to use this gear.

One thing I would also recommend, depending on your travel plans, would be a water-tight case such as a pelican or a dry bag. I don't know if you're going to be doing any small boating, but if so I highly recommend a water-tight case. You never know!

So anyways, just keep your gear with you while you travel, protect it against the elements, and be ready for anything!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    I have the Crumpler Karachi Outpost and just took that on a trip to Europe - it was comfortable to wear and fit under the seat in front of me on the plane. It's definitely incognito and can't be opened while you're wearing it, so good for travel. Between that and the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar home, I can fit everything I need for a wedding.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    Greetings all. We're shooting our first real destination (outside 250 miles from home state) aboard a cruise in May on the Carnival lines. We're more so shooting the port excursions Due to Carnival's restrictions on outside photographers. Anyone who has any piece of advice from his/her experience is greatly appreciated.

I just called Carnival Cruise Lines and asked about professional photography. I specifically asked if a couple getting married on a cruise could hire me as a professional photographer to photograph them all over the ship etc. and was told no problem.

I would highly recommend you contact them and clarify this so your able to provide the best possible service to your clients.

The only restriction was for commercial use. portfolio and normal use by the couple was OK.

Sam

PS: I almost forgot. If you find this info valuable I am available for second or third shooting. :D
    edited August 15, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    I just called Carnival Cruise Lines and asked about professional photography. I specifically asked if a couple getting married on a cruise could hire me as a professional photographer to photograph them all over the ship etc. and was told no problem.

I would highly recommend you contact them and clarify this so your able to provide the best possible service to your clients.

The only restriction was for commercial use. portfolio and normal use by the couple was OK.

Sam

PS: I almost forgot. If you find this info valuable I am available for second or third shooting. :D

Thank you much on that! I was checking out portfolios of an online search I did and saw that as well, outside photographers who were able to shoot during the wedding! Further investigation needed on our end but thanks!!

P.s. would love to but if I don't take the Hubbs I might be in trouble:)
    edited August 15, 2012
    I've traveled with my camera gear (for both work and pleasure) many times, both by car, plane, and boat!

The absolute best advice I can give to anyone in this situation is, KEEP YOUR GEAR WITH YOU!!! Especially with air travel; people always think they're safe if they get a rolling hard case that is overhead-compliant, like a pelican or something. In my opinion this is still not safe enough. Because if you are the last person on a full flight, you'll be checking that overhead bag at the gate. Personally, I carry 1-2 cameras and 1-2 lenses, plus a flash and a small 13" laptop, all in a Tenba Messenger bag that is small enough to fit under an airline seat. Yeah it gets heavy with all that gear in it, but I just rest it on top of my rolling case if I have a long walk through the airport. Then in the overhead bag, I just put all the rest of my gear, like the macro lens, battery chargers, all the junk that I could live without in a worst-case scenario.

For sea and general travel, just be ready for anything. Protect your gear from splashes, learn how to deal with humidity outdoors and air conditioning indoors, etc. (leave your camera in your bag for a few minutes when going from cold to hot, or from dry to humid)

Depending on where you go, I would also recommend using a very incognito bag. Personally I've stripped ALL the labels off my camera bags, and with regular wear and tear they've been dirtied up a bit. And in general none of my bags really "scream expensive" because I picked the ones without a bazillion pockets etc; Again I love my Tenba Messenger bag. Lately I've also been using a bag from http://Undfind.com, but their current model is not as spacious as the Tenba Messenger if you like to travel with a "lens-attached" scenario. (Though I'm currently testing a new larger bag for them, since I work at the studio that is associated with the guys who invented Undfind...) In general I like the Undfind bags because some of the (interchangeable) covers are super incognito, like grey canvas and stuff.

For general outings and active shooting, one thing I absolutely love is my Waist Shooter bag, also from Undfind. it's a belt-mounted pouch with room for two giant lenses, or a couple smaller lenses and a flash, plus a couple spare batteries / cards etc. But I don't want this to sound like a commercial for them lol, I just happen to use this gear.

One thing I would also recommend, depending on your travel plans, would be a water-tight case such as a pelican or a dry bag. I don't know if you're going to be doing any small boating, but if so I highly recommend a water-tight case. You never know!

So anyways, just keep your gear with you while you travel, protect it against the elements, and be ready for anything!

=Matt=

What amazing advice!! Thanks! I was thinking of a shootsac option so it looks just like a messenger bag but I'll have to check out your suggestions first:)
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2012
    What amazing advice!! Thanks! I was thinking of a shootsac option so it looks just like a messenger bag but I'll have to check out your suggestions first:)

The Shootsac is a good bag for lenses "while-you-shoot", but it isn't big enough for all the gear that I prefer to cram under an airline seat. (And, "while shooting", as a guy I prefer a belt-mounted bag... :-)

=Matt=
    edited August 17, 2012
    The Shootsac is a good bag for lenses "while-you-shoot", but it isn't big enough for all the gear that I prefer to cram under an airline seat. (And, "while shooting", as a guy I prefer a belt-mounted bag... :-)

=Matt=

Aww.. No cutesy messenger bag while you shoot.. Wonder why...lol:).
    edited August 17, 2012
    Aww.. No cutesy messenger bag while you shoot.. Wonder why...lol:).

Because my shoulders HATE added weight! I can put a cutesy cover on my Waist Shooter if I want, of course. I just choose to stick with the more manly cover types. Just like I'm sure guys who use ShootSacs do... ;-)

=Matt=
  • slrtoolslrtool Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    We are going on vacation next week and I recently bought a LowePro Pro Roller x200 bag. We will be flying. There is no way I want to check this bag. With your experience do you think TSA will allow the roller bag as a carry on? Also should do they allow tripods in carry on bags?
    edited August 27, 2012
    slrtool wrote: »
    We are going on vacation next week and I recently bought a LowePro Pro Roller x200 bag. We will be flying. There is no way I want to check this bag. With your experience do you think TSA will allow the roller bag as a carry on? Also should do they allow tripods in carry on bags?

Yes, as long as the tripod doesn't have super spikey feet, I've carried on Tripods before.

Whether or not the Roller X200 will fit in an overhead compartment, well, did you check the manufacturer's specs? If they say it'll fit, then it'll fit. Your only worry may be if you have any layovers that might be cutting it close, or full flights in general, because if you're the last person on a full plane, they'll make you check your overhead bag and you'll have no other choice.

That is why I travel with my most expensive gear in a smaller shoulder bag that fits under the seat; I use a Tenba Messenger bag. That way my overhead bag is just filled with junk like tripods and chargers and things I could live without in a pinch...

=Matt=
  • babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    I took my d700 on an excursion outing with dolphins..
    I didn't want to take the grip with it, so I took it off but forgot to cap the rubber piece on the bottom..
    Needless to say, salt water got in contact with the bare brass contacts, corroded it, and somehow corrupted my entire cf card. Then corrupted another card and I lost an entire library of images for the trip.

I got the camera repaired locally, but lost one 32gb Lexar card. I was able to salvage the other card.

So... keep all of your contacts covered and don't forget that salt water can be more corrosive compared to regular water:(

Oh and I was mostly using the aforementioned camera with sb900 and 24-70. No one gave me a hard time.
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • slrtoolslrtool Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    Yes, as long as the tripod doesn't have super spikey feet, I've carried on Tripods before.

Whether or not the Roller X200 will fit in an overhead compartment, well, did you check the manufacturer's specs? If they say it'll fit, then it'll fit. Your only worry may be if you have any layovers that might be cutting it close, or full flights in general, because if you're the last person on a full plane, they'll make you check your overhead bag and you'll have no other choice.

That is why I travel with my most expensive gear in a smaller shoulder bag that fits under the seat; I use a Tenba Messenger bag. That way my overhead bag is just filled with junk like tripods and chargers and things I could live without in a pinch...

=Matt=

Thanks! I appreciate all the advise!!