The end of the coal mining (video+pic)

D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
edited May 27, 2015 in Street and Documentary
Something different, a story and lots of pictures of the old coal industry in Belgium. Believe it or not but there is still so much out there to shoot.

View Video here
i-LpkjQ47.jpg
A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2015
    Congratulations, very nice documentary and fabulous shots!!
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2015
    As an American who had the pleasure of living in Belgium for 6 months in 1979, I have such fond memories of a beautiful and friendly country. I was able to glean some of the history of Bruxelles and Belgium in general, but the history of Chareroi and Wallonie are something new to me. Your images are poetic and dramatic and the video very educational, if not a little depressing............however, the end of the video relieved some of the darkness and brought light to the subject!! Very well done, Stephan.

BTW - would you mind if I share the link to your video on my Facebook page so that my friends who also lived in Belgium as expats can view it?
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »

BTW - would you mind if I share the link to your video on my Facebook page so that my friends who also lived in Belgium as expats can view it?

Thanks Cavalier, sure by all means share it.
    I used to live for some time in the states (Virginia) and have always been very found of the USA. Maybe I might even know some of your friends. If SHAPE tells you something then we might know each other, well just maybe. Kind regards, Stephan
    edited May 27, 2015
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Thanks Cavalier, sure by all means share it.
    I used to live for some time in the states (Virginia) and have always been very found of the USA. Maybe I might even know some of your friends. If SHAPE tells you something then we might know each other, well just maybe. Kind regards, Stephan

Yes, I remember SHAPE - Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe. I think there was at least one SHAPE building in Bruxelles at the time - or I might just be remembering the NATO complex and am just combining the two (?). I had an apartment in the community (commune) of Etterbeek in Bruxelles and worked for our Raychem branch in Woluwe. Lots of hard work, great food, great beer (especially if made by monks!), friends, and many memories! I had a Minolta 55mm film camera back then, but didn't use it as often as I should have!
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Yes, I remember SHAPE ………...
    Hi Jo,

It is really a small world. And you are right the other building is the NATO building.
    That is where I used to work some time ago.
    Well if you ever travel back to Belgium give me a sign….. will go and have a few great monks beer...clap.gif
    edited May 27, 2015