Mission Possible - San Juan Bautista

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited May 18, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
Mission San Juan Bautista - Founded by Spanish missionaries in 1797, it was 15th such mission established in CA! It is slice of history located in beautiful setting, less than 40 minute drive from my home!
It is enchanting and peaceful, and would require many more trips to capture it in its full glory!

The Church is busy place and everyday you get to see any one of the mass, wedding, funeral, baptismal, first communions etc.
Although no one invited me to one of those parties, but usually that is not a strong enough deterrent for me!:rofl

All comments and criticism heartily cherished as this is a NEW subject for me!

1)

1W7A5110-X3.jpg

2)

1W7A5552-X3.jpg

3)

1W7A4862-Edit-X3.jpg

4)

1W7A4933-X3.jpg

5)

1W7A4998-X3.jpg

6)

1W7A4589-X3.jpg

7)

1W7A4618-X3.jpg

8)

1W7A5667-X3.jpg

9)

1W7A5686-X3.jpg

10)

1W7A5692-X3.jpg

11)

1W7A5220_bw-X3.jpg

12)

1W7A5655-X3.jpg

13)

1W7A4631-X3.jpg

14)

1W7A4683-X3.jpg

15)

1W7A4827-Edit-X3.jpg

16)

1W7A4745-Edit-X3.jpg

17)

1W7A4734-Edit-X3.jpg

18)

1W7A5097-X3.jpg

19)

1W7A5220-X3.jpg

20)

1W7A4925-Edit-X3.jpg

Comments

• GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2015
    I like the set ...but I find the mixing of B/W and Color shots distracting ....may be grouping them together will not have the same effect ...just my 2 cents :-)
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2015
    Gatto wrote: »
    I like the set ...but I find the mixing of B/W and Color shots distracting ....may be grouping them together will not have the same effect ...just my 2 cents :-)

Many thanks Gatto!
    Not that you mention it.....I can see it....probably should have split them or stick with one or the other. Color was powerful in some of them so tried to highlight it. Thanks again!
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2015
    I'm liking 3 & 11

Good work
    Rags
    edited May 4, 2015
    torags wrote: »
    I'm liking 3 & 11

Good work

Thanks Rags!!
  • GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2015
    just edit the thread and make the top in B/W and put the color ones last :-)
    edited May 4, 2015
    Gatto wrote: »
    just edit the thread and make the top in B/W and put the color ones last :-)

Done!thumb.gif
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2015
    Taz, I have been waiting for B&W from you and I was not disappointed. Just a great set including all the color shots. You have a great eye and every time you post a set of your pics I spend the next few hours feeling VERY ...how can I say this...inadequate! But I learn something each time you post so PLEASE!, keep these pics coming!

Now for my favorite ( which is VERY hard to pick)...#10! Classic my friend! bowdown.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited May 4, 2015
    Excellent set. You did a great job with must have been difficult light. The framing is spot on. thumb.gif
    edited May 4, 2015
    Taz, I have been waiting for B&W from you and I was not disappointed. Just a great set including all the color shots. You have a great eye and every time you post a set of your pics I spend the next few hours feeling VERY ...how can I say this...inadequate! But I learn something each time you post so PLEASE!, keep these pics coming!

Now for my favorite ( which is VERY hard to pick)...#10! Classic my friend! bowdown.gif

Thanks Wayne! You have been killing it yourself! It has been inspiration for me! Jefferson shot and Barbershop are hits playing in my mind!! Have a good day my friend!
    edited May 4, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    Excellent set. You did a great job with must have been difficult light. The framing is spot on. thumb.gif

Thank you Richard! Means a lot coming from you! wings.gif

They don't allow tri-pods, and it is low light inside so had aperture wide open and pretty high ISO. The whole breadth of the church can't be captured with 16mm. Ideally panos would be in order but not possible...unless there is some trick that I am missing.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2015
    Very creative. You have an excellent eye for composure.
    edited May 4, 2015
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Very creative. You have an excellent eye for composure.

Many thanks FlyNavy!wings.gif I try hitting it from different angles some work...
  • markl67markl67 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 4, 2015
    I'm loving number 5, great shadows.
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2015
    OK, now you can color me green - I am just flat-out jealous! These are outstanding shots, particularly without a tripod.

#3 is so powerful with the perfect angle and light.
    #8, 9 and 10 - you have perfectly captured the little girl with a 'tude! Love all three.

I prefer the BW - they seem to make a stronger statement. And what lens did you use in #5?

You also are about the try my pocketbook. I have thought in the past that I should probably upgrade from my little Canon Rebel Ti to a more advanced SLR with more MPs and 'stuff'. Now I'm thinking I've waited too long!! I want to be you when I grow up.
    edited May 4, 2015
    markl67 wrote: »
    I'm loving number 5, great shadows.

Thank you Mark! Much appreciate it!
    Cavalier wrote: »
    OK, now you can color me green - I am just flat-out jealous! These are outstanding shots, particularly without a tripod.

#3 is so powerful with the perfect angle and light.
    #8, 9 and 10 - you have perfectly captured the little girl with a 'tude! Love all three.

I prefer the BW - they seem to make a stronger statement. And what lens did you use in #5?

You also are about the try my pocketbook. I have thought in the past that I should probably upgrade from my little Canon Rebel Ti to a more advanced SLR with more MPs and 'stuff'. Now I'm thinking I've waited too long!! I want to be you when I grow up.

Jo you are kind! I can't be more humbled and overjoyed!bowdown.gif
    I keep using everyone's work and input and keep trying to improve every time.

Lens is Canon's 16-35mm 'L'. I get most if not all of my gear from used market from Amazon. I look for condition, seller history to see if they have at least few hundred reviews and overall 95%. If the bad review is that I expected lens to arrive on Wednesday and it arrived on Friday, then I count it against the reviewer. So far only time I had issue was when I deviated from philosophy above an bought a camera body with someone with only 5 reviews. They have return policy too. That cuts down the price by good 30% or so, in addition to saving on taxes and I have prime so shipping is mostly free.

For this kind of light it would certainly require more advanced lens and body, because you need ISO performance, along with wide aperture. It is one time investment and it keeps on giving joy.

If I could only have one lens in the world, then it would be Canon 24-70mm 'L'. About 700 bucks more expensive then 16-35mm (2400.00 brand new:cry) but it does *everything* well and I would say 85% of all your composition needs would be filled and lens will not be the culprit.....ever.

Hope to see more posts from you! If I can be of any help in gear review etc., always available.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2015
    Excellent work, Taz. #3, 5, and 10 really stand out. There's an old adage in photography that, if you have to, let the shadows go dark but never let the highlights wash out. You played that tune like a maestro in keeping all the girl's dresses perfectly exposed. Well done.thumb.gif

See you,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited May 4, 2015
    Excellent work, Taz. #3, 5, and 10 really stand out. There's an old adage in photography that, if you have to, let the shadows go dark but never let the highlights wash out. You played that tune like a maestro in keeping all the girl's dresses perfectly exposed. Well done.thumb.gif

See you,

Tom

Thanks Tom!! Learned something new....will hold on to it....with both hands!
    Hope you are well! Cheers!
  • TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2015
    Beautiful!
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2015
    Wonderful! You caught the 'soul' of this amazing place nicely. I like the b/w ones the best but the very last one sums it up nice!
    edited May 4, 2015
    Travel wrote: »
    Beautiful!

Thanks Traveler!
    Eia wrote: »
    Wonderful! You caught the 'soul' of this amazing place nicely. I like the b/w ones the best but the very last one sums it up nice!

Thanks Anna Maria! Appreciate it truly! Hoped to capture sense of spirituality.......
  • willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2015
    I like the variation in POV and I especially like the first communion in b&w.

Good set.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
    edited May 5, 2015
    willard3 wrote: »
    I like the variation in POV and I especially like the first communion in b&w.

Good set.

Thanks kindly Willard!
  • CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2015
    Love this series! And the rich conversation around it. For me, #2 really grabbed me. The hands reaching upward, framed against the roofline which itself becomes an up-arrow, and of course the droppings on the figure, because that's just how it is!! Great emotion, great longing, great aspirations. And a great capture. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    edited May 7, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    Love this series! And the rich conversation around it. For me, #2 really grabbed me. The hands reaching upward, framed against the roofline which itself becomes an up-arrow, and of course the droppings on the figure, because that's just how it is!! Great emotion, great longing, great aspirations. And a great capture. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Carter! It rang my bell....and I was trying to find out why that is so....not knowing....but you laid it out good....many thanks!
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2015
    Well, now it's official... there's nothing you can't take awesome pictures of Taz! clap.gif
    Wonderful, evocative work here... well done!

My only suggestion is, I think you have some room in the dynamic range to raise the exposure/shadows in the B&W communion images...
    for example, in #10 (which is my favorite!). the faces of the children are important, and are lost a bit in the glow of the dresses... imo, the faces
    should have additional prominence in the image. That said, I know the dresses will always dominate and must not be clipped.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited May 8, 2015
    Earache wrote: »
    Well, now it's official... there's nothing you can't take awesome pictures of Taz! clap.gif
    Wonderful, evocative work here... well done!

My only suggestion is, I think you have some room in the dynamic range to raise the exposure/shadows in the B&W communion images...
    for example, in #10 (which is my favorite!). the faces of the children are important, and are lost a bit in the glow of the dresses... imo, the faces
    should have additional prominence in the image. That said, I know the dresses will always dominate and must not be clipped.

Thanks Eric! Means more than I can express!bowdown.gif
    I wanted to bring one of the children as focal point, girl with tude....but when you mention it, her face is dim like rest of them.....have to try and work it! Cheers!!
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2015
    Taz! Somehow I issed this set. Very nicely done! My favorite is 10 with the little girl with an attitude as someone said. ybowdown.gifbow
    Your conversion and use of light in the BW shots is outstanding!clap.gif
    edited May 17, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    Taz! Somehow I issed this set. Very nicely done! My favorite is 10 with the little girl with an attitude as someone said. ybowdown.gifbow
    Your conversion and use of light in the BW shots is outstanding!clap.gif

Very kind Cristobal!bowdown.gifbarb
    Can't say enough thanks!
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2015
    Great stuff. Very much reminds me of Mission San Jan Capistrano down here. I like how you have invited yourself into all the activities. I am not known for my shyness ... but I would be reluctant to shoot that stuff uninvited. I need to bolster my testosterone to shoot with you.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited May 17, 2015
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    Great stuff. Very much reminds me of Mission San Jan Capistrano down here. I like how you have invited yourself into all the activities. I am not known for my shyness ... but I would be reluctant to shoot that stuff uninvited. I need to bolster my testosterone to shoot with you.

Gary

Hah! Thanks Gary! Lets make that happen sometime!!