SmugMug + Blurb Book partnership ...

David TomicDavid Tomic Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited November 17, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Have I missed an announcment about this somewhere, because I'm struggling to find any information on the SmugMug website?

http://digital50.com/news/items/BW/2001/07/14/20071018005193/blurb-becomes-smugmugs-book-partner.html
Blurb, the creative book publishing service, today announced a strategic partnership with online photo sharing and photo storage application, SmugMug. This partnership lets SmugMug customers create, publish, share, market, and sell professional quality books.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Thanks for noticing! We'll have more here on Dgrin and SmugMug soon, but:

http://www.blurb.com/partner/smugmug

has some information for now thumb.gif
  • timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
  • David TomicDavid Tomic Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for noticing! We'll have more here on Dgrin and SmugMug soon

headscratch.gif

Seems a bit odd!

It's already been 4 days since the press release went out ...

--David Tomic
    www.davidtomic.com
    edited October 22, 2007
    Anyway ... I've had a quick play, and - as it stands - the "integration" with SmugMug seems to be half-baked at best! And that's putting it nicely...

I know that I'm kind of boxing with shadows here, since SmugMug haven't put out any real information on how all this actually ticks, but one thing strikes me as alarming right off the bat.

When you're importing photos, why on earth does it need to download the full res original files?

That seems to me like it's criminally inefficient, since you're NEVER working at anywhere near that resolution within the Booksmart app, and it also means that it takes an absolute ETERNITY to import your shots before you can actually start working on them.

I haven't placed an order yet, but would I be wrong in assuming doing that involves uploading all those files again to some Blurb server for processing?

[That seems to be the only logical reason I can come up with for requiring that you download the full res photos in the first place.]

It SHOULD only download medium sized files, which are MORE than adequate for setting out your page layout etc, and then have Blurb pull the full res photos direct from SmugMug for processing once you actually place your order.

I REALLY hope that I'm going to be proven wrong on that, but in case I'm not, then I'm a loooooong way from being impressed with this! It seems to be nothing more than the standard Blurb service, with one of those free SmugMug stickers slapped across it.

Andy - and anyone else who might be reading - I hope that you can accept this as constructive criticisim, because that's really all I'm trying to give here.

--David Tomic
    www.davidtomic.com
  • LouBuonomoLouBuonomo Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    I was wondering why the Blurb guys had Smugmug camera straps at PhotoExpo ? I forgot to get one :(
  • DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    I was "volunteered" at our Church to get the Photo Directory put together. It was a downloaded software from the photographers. Anyhow, all photos that were used in it were HUGE. I did a custom cover that I made and it was 2000+ by ???? pixels.

As for the photos inside, For the photo to come out a half page, I believe it was the full high resolution photo (8mp).

What is like a thumbnail photo on smugmug, in print form for the directory they were 640x??? photos.
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    It will be interesting to see how this works out. I have used Blurb to create my books for the last year and have been very satisfied with the results. But uploading photos to them was a real chore - so if I can use photos I have already uploaded to Smugmug I will be one happy camper! clap.gif
    edited October 23, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:
    But uploading photos to them was a real chore - so if I can use photos I have already uploaded to Smugmug I will be one happy camper! clap.gif

So would I ... but as of right now that doesn't look to be the case at all, which is really quite disappointing IMHO.

I don't find this complete silence from SmugMug to be particularly reassuring either. tumbleweed.gif

--David Tomic
    www.davidtomic.com
    edited October 23, 2007
    I don't find this complete silence from SmugMug to be particularly reassuring either. tumbleweed.gif

--David Tomic
    www.davidtomic.com
    Your continued patience is appreciated, David. Thanks....
    edited October 23, 2007
    So I downloaded Blurb's latest version of BookSmart to see what has changed. No visible changes were apparent so I searched for "Smugmug" in their Help document and found this:

How do I add SmugMug pictures?
    To import SmugMug pictures, click the Get Pictures button in the My Pictures area and choose the SmugMug option. A SmugMug wizard will open and request your SmugMug username and password for authentication. Next, a SmugMug browser will open and ask for approval to download your images to BookSmart. Once this is done you’ll go back to the SmugMug wizard and choose the pictures you’d like to download. Once downloaded, all your SmugMug pictures will be stored in the My SmugMug Pictures library in BookSmart.

This is what I was hoping for!! Now I need to try it out and see how it works!!!! wings.gif :ivar clap.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:
    So I downloaded Blurb's latest version of BookSmart to see what has changed. No visible changes were apparent so I searched for "Smugmug" in their Help document and found this:

How do I add SmugMug pictures?
    To import SmugMug pictures, click the Get Pictures button in the My Pictures area and choose the SmugMug option. A SmugMug wizard will open and request your SmugMug username and password for authentication. Next, a SmugMug browser will open and ask for approval to download your images to BookSmart. Once this is done you’ll go back to the SmugMug wizard and choose the pictures you’d like to download. Once downloaded, all your SmugMug pictures will be stored in the My SmugMug Pictures library in BookSmart.

This is what I was hoping for!! Now I need to try it out and see how it works!!!! wings.gif :ivar clap.gif

OMG I am so excited for this! I am selling a lot more blurb books lately and this is one step in that direction!!!! WOOT!

Can we COLLECT funds for blurb books for smugmug though? That would make things utterly seamless for clients.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Ham1Ham1 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    OMG I am so excited for this! I am selling a lot more blurb books lately and this is one step in that direction!!!! WOOT!

Can we COLLECT funds for blurb books for smugmug though? That would make things utterly seamless for clients.

The current SmugMug/Blurb partnership is pretty simple. SM doesn't offer our own books so we push you to Blurb. We make it very easy for you to slurpe your photos into the Blurb software. Blurb will handle all the customer support and selling of the books.

You can continue to sell your books on Blurb (with SM photos) and make 100% commission on the markup. Neither SM or Blurb will take any commissions on the books you sell. thumb.gif

Enjoy!
    Markham
    edited October 23, 2007
    Ham1 wrote:
    The current SmugMug/Blurb partnership is pretty simple. SM doesn't offer our own books so we push you to Blurb. We make it very easy for you to slurpe your photos into the Blurb software. Blurb will handle all the customer support and selling of the books.

You can continue to sell your books on Blurb (with SM photos) and make 100% commission on the markup. Neither SM or Blurb will take any commissions on the books you sell. thumb.gif

Enjoy!
    Markham

It's the best of both worlds in my opinion!bowdown.gif
  • FormerLurkerFormerLurker Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    This is great in theory, as I have created/ordered several Blurb books over the
    past couple of years, and think the quality is great.

However.... Blurb's customer service is horrible, especially compared to SM's. Your production time with Blurb depends on where you live and they make no effort to publish anywhere close to their advertised "estimated" dates. Not a single one of my orders has been within 2 weeks of their promised time.

I would urge SM not to get too closely aligned with them unless their customer service begins to approach SM's standards.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    I'm pretty excited about since I read about it in my blurb newsletter email today. Looking forward to finding our more information on the smugmug end of things.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Does the Smug Slurper also collect the Smug caption (if you want to) that goes along with the photo? I'm guessing not but hoping so! It would be so nice to put together a book along with the captions I've already included in my Smug gallery!

PS - Thanks for making a book option available!!!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Man, it would be so cool to use Blurb or something similar to do "memory books" for my son's preschool. (Ugh -- scrapbooking? Puh-leeze.)

In fact, in anticipation for the mandatory (it's a co-op school, so the parents have "assignments" too) memory book, I hacked together a whole convoluted comments->keyword system just to get non-uploading parents to tag the names of the kids so that they'll be easier to find later.

http://gladlee.smugmug.com/gallery/3669791

So guess what's missing from the Blurb->SmugMug integration? Yep -- searching by keyword. Drat. Of course, searching isn't available in the API at all, so uh, not surprising that Blurb couldn't implement it.

Suck.

I guess we'll be saving all keyworded photos to hard drive, printing them at CostCo and then pasting them into scrapbooks after all. :-{

OOOF, that just made me realize -- there's no way to bulk download keyword matches. Ummmm, I sense another hack coming up. UGH.

(Of course there's no bulk download in the SmugMug UI at all, which makes some sense from a Pro standpoint, but *no* sense from a family-sharing standpoint. Phanfare offers a very nice "download all images as a zip archive" option. No keywords though. :P)
  • dimples453dimples453 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    hmm....
    As this is in the "pro sales forum" I'm going to have to go against the tide here. Blurb is more of a consumer outfit that is geared toward "consumers". If their book quality were akin to something like what Asuka offers than I would be jumping for joy but again Blurb books are not professional quality by any stretch of the imagination (and if I offended anyone who offers these books to their clients I apologize in advance). I think this is a good first step in partnering with a book binder but it would have been nice to step up the bar a little and at the least partner with one that caters to professionals and not consumers at large. I'm writing this from purely a business standpoint.
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    I was really excited to see this partnership, but after playing around I am realizing that this just does nothing for me.

It seems that blurb can, very slowly, grab pictures from my smugmug site. And that's the entire extent of the integration. Big deal... I have my pictures on my hard drive and can put them in a blub book a whole lot more quickly than trying to download them from smugmug.

The nice thing is that I could create a blub book with my pictures from anywhere in the world... kind of nice. But I have a blurb project in the works right now and this just adds nothing.

Seems like both companies get some exposure by sharing their names and putting out press releases, but from a user standpoint this is almost meaningless.

I'll be impressed when smugmug lets my users choose a bunch of pictures and order them bound together in a very simple spiral-bound book or album.

Blurb books are cute and I sold a bunch of them once, but this is a FAR cry from smugmug offering photo books.

Good effort though! I appreciate that smugmug is listening to what customers want.

Dave
  • pspphotospspphotos Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    My experience with Blurb
    I was very excited to begin using Blurb. I do sports photography, youth baseball mostly. My first test came out just fine - so I started offering the leagues books with my products. Of course, that's when all the problems hit. First of all, the only way to communicate is by email - there are no phone numbers. Second, they don't always come from the same place, nor does it ship the same way (packaging) from each place. When I got my first book (after about 3 weeks of waiting) the book was damaged due to very poor packaging. Since Blurb doesn't have a phone number, I had to email my problem. When I got my first email answer, they asked me to send them pictures of the damaged book and to mail them back my damaged book BEFORE they would consider doing a reprint for me. This did not make my customer very happy, considering the book was already late in the first place. When I got my second copy, about two more weeks later, my customer had already lost interest in the book - so I didn't get to sell it. After keeping the book for about 3 days, I noticed the quality of the paper was not very good. The book just started to curl up. I had to keep placing it under heavy books to keep it flat. I know it can't be blamed on weather here in SoCal - we're not extreme on either side. Basically, the quality is fine if you just plan on keeping for yourself, but I WILL not sell this since it is a sub-par product and reflects badly on me.
    Lorrie Prothero
    Prothero Sports Photography
    http://pspphotos.net
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    darryl wrote:
    So guess what's missing from the Blurb->SmugMug integration? Yep -- searching by keyword. Drat. Of course, searching isn't available in the API at all, so uh, not surprising that Blurb couldn't implement it.

Searching via the API has been there for years. Check your facts.
  • Ham1Ham1 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    LouBuonomo wrote:
    I was wondering why the Blurb guys had Smugmug camera straps at PhotoExpo ? I forgot to get one :(

Hey Lou, that was me handing out those straps. You should have come by and shaken my hand!

Hope your club is going well.

Markham
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    onethumb wrote:
    Searching via the API has been there for years. Check your facts.

ORLY? Where is it in the docs? :-}

I only see this:
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/API/APIFeatureRequests
    smugmug.images.search (not likely, since you can get this via feeds already... do we need to duplicate effort like that? -Don)

And this:
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/Feeds/FindFeeds
    Feeds are only available for public, non-passworded galleries.
  • cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Blurb and Smuggers?
    Just found this on the Blurb site!!!

Exciting!
    If you’re on SmugMug, get ready to slurp your photos
    Filed Under: Bookmaking Tools, Photography, Blurb Alert | | October 26th, 2007
    Good news for everyone on SmugMug… we got you a Slurper just in time for the holiday bookmaking rush.
    If you’re already there, then you know how fantastic it is. If you’re new to it, check out their online photo sharing and photo storage application. It’s 200 million photos strong and growing.
    Blurbarians can use Blurb’s SmugMug Slurper to connect to a SmugMug account and automatically slurp photos as full-resolution images into BookSmart’s image library. Then, view your SmugMug photos by tag or gallery, and autoflow or drag and drop them into layouts.
    Since we know how collaborative the SmugMug community is, we think you’re also going to dig Blurb’s new Community Book feature. Team up with your friends or photography colleagues to make a book together. You’re already sharing your photographs. Adding a book to the mix increases your exposure and creative options.
    We’ll be looking for your books in the Blurb Bookstore. Tag ‘em SmugMug so we know who you are.
    Posted by: Allison
  • GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Quality Questions going unaddressed
    Smugmug-guys,
    A bunch of questions / statements regarding the quality of the Blurb books have been raised in this thread over the past several days, none of which have been addressed by the smugmug guys...

SO, a simple yes / no question to each individual smugmug worker (Andy, Onethumb, Barbara, Devbodo, etc.):

Do you, as professionals, feel the quality of the Blurb book is up to your standard to be sold to your customers in the form of a professional representation of your photography? In other words, would YOU sell them to YOUR customers?

- Gary.
    edited October 28, 2007
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    In other words, would YOU sell them to YOUR customers?

- Gary.

Hi Gary, we're still in the launch phase, we'll have plenty to say, trust me... Your patience is appreciated.

To directly answer your question: YES, sure I would. Have you ordered your test / sample book? What I think doesn't matter one bit, really, does it? What do YOU think after you have book-in-hand ear.gif
  • GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    What you think does matter
    Andy wrote:
    To directly answer your question: YES, sure I would. Have you ordered your test / sample book? What I think doesn't matter one bit, really, does it? What do YOU think after you have book-in-hand ear.gif

Not to blow smoke in places that I shouldn't...but your opinion does matter - I respect your professionalism. There's nothing like a person's professional reputation to speak volumes about, well...in this case, 'volumes'!

- Gary.
    edited October 28, 2007
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Not to blow smoke in places that I shouldn't...but your opinion does matter - I respect your professionalism. There's nothing like a person's professional reputation to speak volumes about, well...in this case, 'volumes'!

- Gary.
    Okay then :D Thanks!
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    I just used the slurper to upload a bunch of stuff to my current blurb project.

It's slow, but it works- and the slowness is likely due to crapy connection issues on my end.

The new release of blurb seems to have unscrewed whatever was causing my book to freeze up, and the latest edition, on my ever so sweet an mac-licious machine, is tossing around the 170+ page book like it was nuttin'. Pretty good stuff. I'm sure you PC guys are suffering but, much like Nikon users, you ultimately deserve it.

Only one serious issue: Can we put our books up for sale through our own pro web site at smugmug? I am going to be gettign my own domain name and using my smugmug site as my main selling platform. I doubt anybody will pony up $100 or so for a random travel book on Uzbekistan i just because they saw it in blurb's bookstore. Are there any plans for that sort of thing?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    I had a go at it on saturday, and it takes AGES to slurp the pics from my smugmug account. I did not finish it as it took way too long for me. I want to do the books fast, I used to work as a paper layout woman, so I know what I am doing. Waiting that long to get my pics in the application from Blurb is too counter productive.
    Now what I would really like would be for Smugmug to work with mypublisher.com. I have done a lot of mypublisher.com, and the quality is very very good. I sell them to my customers who can't afford a 800 dollar wedding book. I sell it for 400 dollars. More or less... And the people are happy with the publisher books. Sad thing is that you can't make a store on my publisher.
    I think that a combination Smugmug and publisher.com would be a far better combination then Blurb. Blurb then has the possibility for us to make a profit on the books. But how long will that profit last if the books are not good quality? I will await further news from Smugmug on this subject. We are on broadband BTW, so the downloads should go a lot faster then what the speed is now... My two cents...